Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

KEEP HIM IN THE RESERVES, are u **** mad!!! this guy is on big wages at villa, if he wants out, ship him on, open the door, no room for people who dont respect a club who has taken faith in u as an injured player!!

then every single player who fancies getting out on the cheap knows all they need to do is hand us a transfer request

no thanks

it needs to be treated the very same way the barry thing was. if he's spoken to pool without our permission, **** him in with the stiffs. he'll come back and make an apology when he realises he's not getting his way and his international chances are quickly disappearing

or maybe it says to players, anyone who doesnt want to show pride in playing for avfc is not welcome here...

the door always has to be open, if the valuation can be met. I dont agree with keeping players against there desires, its pure wrong, what single benefit does it give the club? tell me that

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or maybe it says to players, anyone who doesnt want to show pride in playing for avfc is not welcome here...

thats not what it says at all

it says we'll be bullied into taking less money than we want by players who decide to go elsewhere. what we should be saying is "you signed the contract, you'll honour it, and we'll only sell on our terms"

But again the club must fight to get a realistic valuation of the player, which I would say would be 18m plus appearance fees in the region of 2 mill rising it to 20.

and if liverpool arent willing to offer us what we consider a realistic valuation what do we do? youre saying sell him since he doesnt want to be here, im saying sell him if we get the money we're looking for and not a penny less

yeah its a tight line isnt it, liverpool are **** when it comes to coming after your players, kenny must have the decency to know that villa want more than what they paid for him, and tbh surely downing wont want to leave unless liverpool show the desire to actually come in and show they want him?

I think Dalglish is a decent bloke, if he wants DJ that much and they have the cash, they'll match our valuation which I'm guessing may be as high as 25m

This. Except as long as Dalglish is Liverpool manager, I can't **** stand him.

**** hate Liverpool...

Do you really think Adam Johnson would cost between 7 and 10 million if you reckon DOwning is worth 17million? I think Johnson will be a better player than Downing once he gets a full season under his belt.

"And the Boro fans have been brilliant to me. I'd like to thank them for all their support but especially for sticking by me after all the speculation in January.

"In hindsight, it was a mistake to ask for a move at that point. I was frustrated but I know now I should have waited until the summer.

"Boro mean a lot to me but I'm ambitious to achieve things and fulfill my potential so I need to be in the Premier League."

Stewart Downing

According to Tony Barrett of The Times on talkSPORT just now, Liverpool made a bid of £12m for Downing at the start of the summer.

Yes, £12m the same fee that we paid to Boro when he had a broken foot and was at a club who had just been relegated.

This after his best season in recent years where he was voted POTY by both the fans and the players, and re-established himself in the England squad.

£12m they bid.

Derisory that.

Bunch of pricks.

Also take into account that they have just signed Henderson for £20m! Henderson is someone with lots of potential but certainly not the finished article, then they insult us by saying £19m is too much for Downing...the same Downing that just got back into the England squad after having his best ever season and voted our player of the season. Maybe that should tell Downing just how much they really want him.

To be fair to Liverpool, that "£20m" fee also assumes that the makeweight in the deal, N'Gog was worth £7m. Sunderland seem to the kind of club who like to be able to tell their fans they got bigger fees for their players than they did in reality. See the £24m for Darren Bent if you want exhibit b.

As for Downing? If he wants to go then it is his right. We haven't really done much to encourage him to stay in the last 12 months or so, have we? The Villa are rudderless at the moment. The shambles at replacing MON last August were nothing compared to the shambles at replacing Houllier this month. We are giving everybody the impression that Aston Villa are a club on the way down and several seasons of mid table obscurity beckon. That wasnt the dream we were selling to players like Downing when we were signing them. Downing will go, but its our **** fault.

According to Tony Barrett of The Times on talkSPORT just now, Liverpool made a bid of £12m for Downing at the start of the summer.

Yes, £12m the same fee that we paid to Boro when he had a broken foot and was at a club who had just been relegated.

This after his best season in recent years where he was voted POTY by both the fans and the players, and re-established himself in the England squad.

£12m they bid.

Derisory that.

Bunch of pricks.

Also take into account that they have just signed Henderson for £20m! Henderson is someone with lots of potential but certainly not the finished article, then they insult us by saying £19m is too much for Downing...the same Downing that just got back into the England squad after having his best ever season and voted our player of the season. Maybe that should tell Downing just how much they really want him.

To be fair to Liverpool, that "£20m" fee also assumes that the makeweight in the deal, N'Gog was worth £7m. Sunderland seem to the kind of club who like to be able to tell their fans they got bigger fees for their players than they did in reality. See the £24m for Darren Bent if you want exhibit b.

N'Gog never joined Sunderland, still at Liverpool

ASTON VILLA are braced for a transfer request from want-away England star Stewart Downing.

But Aston Villa will still be prepared to play hardball with Liverpool in their attempt to try and prise the 26-year-old star away.

Stewart Downing still has two years of his contract to run and while Villa will reluctantly allow him to leave, they will hold out for their £20m valuation.

If Kop boss Kenny Dalglish refuses to sanction a move for that figure then the Midlands club will squeeze another year out of Downing before being pushed into a deal next summer.

Villa were barged into a corner over the sale of Downing’s England team-mate Ashley Young who has just completed a £16m switch to Manchester United.

Young only had 12 months to run on his deal before being able to walk out of the club for nothing.

Downing’s situation is different and while new Villa boss Alex McLeish has reluctantly accepted that the winger is on his way – Villa won’t be steamrollered into any deal.

McLeish has been told he can spend any cash from the sale of former Middlesbrough star Downing to bolster his team-building programme.

He’s ready to fork out around half of it to net Charles N’Zogbia from Wigan. And McLeish will then look to spend the remaining cash on Ben Foster from Birmingham.

Brum, still stinging from McLeish’s shock defection across the Second City, need to raise some cash to bring in new players and they will demand a fee in the region of £8m for Foster.

Source: Downing - I'm Out - Daily Star

But then again it is the Daily Star :lol:

If we hold out for a big enough fee for Downing that would cover the cost of purchasing both N'Zogbia and Foster, then would most people think that the club had done good business?

If we refuse the transfer request I doubt he will sulk or play half heartedly because if he does he will miss out on the Euros and most likely will lose his lappeal to the likes of Liverpool and end up somewhere like Sunderland next Summer

A player we buy for £12mil as a crock, return him to full fitness, get him in the England set up and then becomes our most recent player of the season. I'd say that at LEAST doubles his value. £24mil. Plus we don't want to be selling our best players every year. £26mil. Plus we don't like Liverpool as a club or their fanbase. £28mil. Add in the inconvenience of replacing said player. £30mil.

Now take off a fair amount for him handing in a request.... £30mil still. Cough up or jog on, your "majesty".

Any problems with that DJ? Maybe you can go to the NotW, do a stupid interview and get chucked in the reserves to rot.

We can't keep getting held to ransom by players. If we do, the only way we can ever improve is to do an Arsenal by setting up an incredible scouting/youth system and keep tying them down to 5/6 year deals.

A player we buy for £12mil as a crock, return him to full fitness, get him in the England set up and then becomes our most recent player of the season. I'd say that at LEAST doubles his value. £24mil. Plus we don't want to be selling our best players every year. £26mil. Plus we don't like Liverpool as a club or their fanbase. £28mil. Add in the inconvenience of replacing said player. £30mil.

Now take off a fair amount for him handing in a request.... £30mil still. Cough up or jog on, your "majesty".

Any problems with that DJ? Maybe you can go to the NotW, do a stupid interview and get chucked in the reserves to rot.

We can't keep getting held to ransom by players. If we do, the only way we can ever improve is to do an Arsenal by setting up an incredible scouting/youth system and keep tying them down to 5/6 year deals.

I would love us to do this but I don't think that Randy has the money or the balls for the fight!! We will end up selling him for 14 mil in asugust and not get a replacement!!!

According to AVFC POB Manure are nailed on for the Zog!!

I would love us to do this but I don't think that Randy has the money or the balls for the fight!! We will end up selling him for 14 mil in asugust and not get a replacement!!!

According to AVFC POB Manure are nailed on for the Zog!!

He was taking the piss out of a Wigan fan further up the page on the N'Zogbia thread. That post was in late May saying Utd were nailed on to sign him and it was all but done.

Still cant understand why he wants to go to Liverpool..I could understand him wanting a move to a top 4 club but Liverpool are no better than Villa. Our Ground and training facilities out weigh Anfield(which needs major development) and Melwood. They are in major debt which, if the owner pays off then goes ahead with the new stadium they so desprately need he will end up pot-less. They havnt won a major trophy in over 5 years and havnt woin the league in nearly 20 years..They are in same group of good to average teams as what we are.. Which is behind, Arsenal, City, Man United, Chelsea etc..

Yet Villa are growing as a global brand, our ground and training facilities are top drawer our owner is in great financial standing.. Its a case of one club on the way up(and ahead on the whole side of development regarding players and infrastructure)and one club still negotiating whether they can afford a new stadium, or to upgrade Anfield..

My plea to board and managers is please please please show some f'eckin balls for once in your miserable lives.

Downings performances will NOT be effected if he is reprimanded and made to play, it really would make no sense for him to go to shit for one more season for us. We need his skill and performance for this season as I cannot see us replacing him adequately at this time, if we can get him and bolster to help us improve this season things will look very different for next season and then he can **** off when we have a better hand for replacing him.

Wish they would come out and stamp some authoritive words like "piss off liverpool you bunch of words removed".

Â