Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Apparently he's going to hand in a transfer request according to the Mirror..

Phew, I was worried til you said 'Mirror'.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he really wants to go, sell him for no less than 20 mill. Pity Liverpool don't have anyone we could swap for.

Meireles by all accounts. I'd take him but would he take us ?

If he really wants to go, sell him for no less than 20 mill. Pity Liverpool don't have anyone we could swap for.

Meireles by all accounts. I'd take him but would he take us ?

That would be a great deal for Villa. Alas, I fear you're probably right.

I agree, highly likely to be bollocks BUT if it were true, what a word removed

Yeah but highly highly hypothetical. I'd prefer to call the paper a word removed in the absence of any other proof.

He can piss off! Get rid of him! He gives us one good season and thinks he is the shit. Sell him! At least Young gave us 4 and a half years and deserves his move.

We will replace Downing like we have all the others. As I have always said if you don't want to play for the Villa, piss off!

Oh and if Henderson goes for 20m Ill take not a penny less than 20m, forget this 19m talk.

I agree, highly likely to be bollocks BUT if it were true, what a word removed

Yeah but highly highly hypothetical. I'd prefer to call the paper a word removed in the absence of any other proof.

Well yes, he's not a word removed yet ....he was my favourite player last year ....don't do this to me Stuart.

I certainly see where you're coming from, but if we were to sell Downing and we added his fee to Young's we would probably have somewhere in the region of £35m to spend (and I don't believe Mr. Lerner is going to prevent McLeish from spending any revenue generated from transfers, despite what some of the doomsayers might think).

Add his fee to Young's?

What does this mean?

Surely it is only fans who view the ins and outs of transfer dealings in such a way?

Fact of the matter is, he is not actually that good. Shined in a bad Villa team, looked poor in a decent Villa team. The end. Sell.
That's not the case at all. He had a below average season last season but he was injured for half of it. He played very well this season with a full pre-season behind him, and it's not like we were poor all the time.

Fact of the matter is, he is not actually that good. Shined in a bad Villa team, looked poor in a decent Villa team. The end. Sell.

Yeah, completely rule out the fact he didn't have any pre-season and barely got a rest after coming into the team pretty much without any game time behind the scenes, like 1/2 games after 6 months out and didn't miss a game. :|

Heck, look at the pace he displayed this season, how many times did we see that last year? pretty **** rarely, he was nowehre near 100% fit or at his sharpest. He also was nowhere near as poor as people make out, I liked him and so did others, he just wasn't 100%.

Not to mention the fact, since Darren Bent signed, Villa played in top 6/7 form, 26 points from 16 games. Stuart Downing shined at this stage also, so when we did play well - Downing shined also.

What a daft comment (imo)

If Downing is sold, it will mark the the completion of a transformation from an upwardly mobile club, close to breaking into the top 4, to that of a selling club, content with mid-table mediocrity.

Well the article is from James Nursery who also has a piece with quotes from NRC regarding youg ,his source perhaps ?

I don't want Downing to go and I think with the Euro's coming up he will still perform if made to stay however if he does hand in a formal request I would think

we would have to consider selling.As for Liverpool apparantly scoffing at £19mil well Ash apparantly went for close to that with a year on his contract ,a deal up to £20mil for Henderson and £35mil for Carroll then I'm sorry £20mil is the going rate so pay up.

Can Liverpool even afford it? I know they made £50m from the Torres transfer but due to the purchases of Carroll and Suarez they effectively spent all that and then some. Then they bought Henderson for £20m. Can they really afford to splash out another £20+ on just one player?

Yeah, completely rule out the fact he didn't have any pre-season and barely got a rest after coming into the team pretty much without any game time behind the scenes, like 1/2 games after 6 months out and didn't miss a game. :|

Heck, look at the pace he displayed this season, how many times did we see that last year? pretty **** rarely, he was nowehre near 100% fit or at his sharpest. He also was nowhere near as poor as people make out, I liked him and so did others, he just wasn't 100%.

Not to mention the fact, since Darren Bent signed, Villa played in top 6/7 form, 26 points from 16 games. Stuart Downing shined at this stage also, so when we did play well - Downing shined also.

What a daft comment (imo)

Meh, I still think 20mik would be good business for us (if the Henderson shit hand't gone down). Due to this we should hold out for more and possibly do GREAT business.

If Downing is sold, it will mark the the completion of a transformation from an upwardly mobile club, close to breaking into the top 4, to that of a selling club, content with mid-table mediocrity.

Every club bar 1/2 is a selling club, it's what you do money.

If you simply spend less than all of the Downing money if he were to be sold, it'd say to me we are pretty content with not even improving, but spending all the Downing money and money on top, shows we still want to push forward.

Again obvious example is Tottenham, lost Berbatov, Keane, Carrick all within 2 years. 2 years after that, they were top 4.

No chance of us doing that IMO because of how competitive league has become but I think it's been shown, losing players is part of the game, it's how you then re-invest the money what matters.

Â