Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Regardless it’s not great as it opens everything up and gives clubs an opening to sniff around. Young is gone once United have had the Champions League final. If Downing goes as well, that would be a much worse.

Just move quickly and buy N’Zogbia. As he’s the only one that is near that level and proven in the league.

I now have a horrible feeling of seeing Gabby and Albrighton starting on the wings in August...

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6952734,00.html

Aston Villa star Stewart Downing has confirmed that he will not be committing to a new contract 'at the moment'.

The England winger enjoyed an excellent campaign for Villa, winning their Player of the Year award.

His form has seen him recalled to the national team set-up, whilst his appearances have caught the eye of a number of clubs.

Skysports.com revealed earlier this month that Villa want to make him the highest paid player at the club, but Liverpool and Arsenal are both understood to be keen.

"I am 26 and at a major crossroads in my career so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment."

Stewart Downing Quotes of the week

Downing has now confirmed talks have taken place but he is not about to sign a new deal, with two years still remaining on his current contract.

"I know the club are keen for me to extend my contract as I only have two years left on my deal and that my agent had a recent meeting with our chief executive (Paul Faulkner)," Downing confirmed.

"However, I am 26 and at a major crossroads in my career so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment."

Downing joined Villa in 2009, but he was still recovering from a broken foot so this season has been his first full campaign for the club.

Ambition

Villa now look to have a fight to hold on to Downing, which will be a huge blow, especially with Ashley Young edging towards the exit door at Villa Park.

Downing further underlined that he could be looking elsewhere when he revealed that he is yearning to play in the Champions League.

"I want to keep playing and enjoying my football," Downing told the Northern Echo.

"When I was injured that made me realise what it can be like to be out for such a long time. It hurt. The most important thing is to play football, but I do want to play in the Champions League at some point.

"The most important thing for me, though, is to stay fit and then the rewards will come with that, hopefully. I have got back into the England squad, I have to make sure I stay there.

"It was horrible to miss the World Cup last year, but I was not the only one. Looking back it was probably because I was injured for much of that season that I never made it."

I'm sorry to say that unless Randy does something incredible this is the future for us. We are there with the Bolton's, Wigan's, and Sunderland's now. As soon as someone has a half decent season they will be off pronto, citing the lure of the Champions League and the handy pay rise that goes with it.

It really does pain me because in the course of a season you go through everything with these players but at the end of the day they don't really give a ****.

I think him saying 2 weeks ago that he owes the club a great deal is more important to think about than a player with 2 years left not signing a new contract until he see's the ambition.

Downing has no loyalty it's that simple, he gave us all that crap he appreciated that we purchased him with a broken foot and he performed like a **** pub player, what annoys me is when they say they want to win trophies, hang on you cocks, you all played against United, and against Chelsea in the semi, and YOU **** it up not the fans but you.

This is getting stupid now. Where just a stepping stone, next years, will he, won't he debate.

Did we not take a gamble on him because of his injury, gratitude or what.

AVFC. Feeder club.

Really disappointed in Downing.

After that bull shit speech of how he owes us etc... really didnt see this coming.

I hope if we add a few quality players then he will stay. But... i cant see it.

It's shit. Losing our best player every year. Randy must be pissed off.

I think Gingerlad what you also have to note, it's him that actually made this public. If he wanted to see what Villa are going to do then he would tell the board he wants to see what players are coming in. He's made this public for one reason only, I'm available guys, get your offers in.

How is he available?

Jesus christ anyone would think he out a transfer request in.

He's said nothing but I want to see ambition from the club. Whats so bad about that? Isn't that what we all want?

Put yourself in his shoes, he signes a new 2 yr extension and then we get some shite manager and sign Barton.

Would you be happy?

Getting pissed off with speculation of us losing players. Last two years our best player has gone. Looking like Young this year and maybe even downing.

It's beginning to get to me now. If they both go this summer I think I will be watching England's winter tours on sky.

We need to get in a manager people want to stay and play for and buy even just one player that says we want to aim high.

the thing that pisses me off is the view that these players have that they take no responsibility for the team failing to make the champion's league or to win things...

the person that summed this up for me the most was rooney last season when he stated that he wanted to move to a more ambitious club...

bugger me - whatever happened to wanting to make the club that you play for win things... there is no question in my mind that villa on their day can beat any club in britain - we have the talent to do it, so whatever happened to players saying that if we fail to make the champions league thats our fault and we're going to stay and get the job done next season...

barry, milner, young, downing take note... you should earn your trophies, not just be in the crowd when they're handing them out...

he has been tapped up in my opinion.

its funny how liverpool look to have missed out on young, we have just played them then this comes out and think someone said he's got the same agent as gerrard.

Can't believe i sat on my lunch break on the live chat thing he was doing on the website with him saying how much he loves it here and how he wants to stay. Is there still a link to that chat with him and albrighton?

If we lose Young AND Downing dont expect for one moment that Darren Bent will be happy one of the reasons he joined us was the superb service he would get from both widemen if we were to lose both he will not be happy and i fully expect him to become disgruntled and the next player to want out.

How is he available?

Jesus christ anyone would think he out a transfer request in.

He's said nothing but I want to see ambition from the club. Whats so bad about that? Isn't that what we all want?

Put yourself in his shoes, he signes a new 2 yr extension and then we get some shite manager and sign Barton.

Would you be happy?

Would you not say that 'BEHIND' closed doors. Why publicise? Does he not know where PF's office is? Only reason to publicise is to inform clubs i'm available.

Â