Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I really liked Mad Men but season 5 just bored me, especially since I had to wait 2 years for it. I think the show just lost a lot of momentum. I haven't started the most recent season, was just planning on powering through it all at once and hope that all the episodes at once would make it more interesting.

I really liked Mad Men but season 5 just bored me, 

I thought season 5 was the absolute mutt's nuts.

I felt like the whole point of the first 4 seasons was just to get us to that point, because Season 5 was superb.

It's up there with the best "seasons" of any TV show.

• Like 1

yeah im the same, season 5 was when pete finally became the great character that he had potential to be in season 1, for a couple of seasons he seemed to go on the back burner

add to that joan, roger and lane all have great storlines

but peggy isn't as good as previous, betty went a bit pointless, took me ages to get in to Ginsberg and I still don't like megan (seems really badly cast IMO because I don't find her attractive in the slightest)

• Like 1

To an extent, I'm disappointed that I have read the Song of Ice and Fire books given the impact this episode seems to have had. I stopped watching the show after season 1 as it deviated from the books to an increasing extent. That's not a criticism of the show at all, just that I like the story and characters as they were written and find myself noticing what has been altered or omitted rather than enjoying the show for what it is. I would have loved to have watched that episode with virgin eyes. I still remember my feelings when I read that particular event.

but peggy isn't as good as previous, betty went a bit pointless, took me ages to get in to Ginsberg and I still don't like megan (seems really badly cast IMO because I don't find her attractive in the slightest)

I'm getting the distinct impression that all four of those were table-setting for the current season, though Ginsberg has been ignored until the most recent episode.

Someone a few pages back commented about how "quality" American TV is slow-burn oriented now. I think it's probably a reaction to the decades of American TV being 22-26 episodes a season with the networks pretty much dictating that something major has to happen every episode (or even better if each episode is independent of the others). The recent seasons of Mad Men have seen more things happening; I can't help but wonder if that was Weiner's design all along to not just have the seasons be slow-burns, but have the series be a slow-burn (of course this is also a commentary on the 1960s in America: 1964 was more like 1956 than it was 1968...).

And who is Bob Benson?

i asked that after the 1st episode! most theories suggest that he's another man with no past, the next don draper but he is almost being built up for some very un-mad men like shocking twist so it will be interesting when it does happen

I really liked Mad Men but season 5 just bored me, 

I thought season 5 was the absolute mutt's nuts.

I felt like the whole point of the first 4 seasons was just to get us to that point, because Season 5 was superb.

It's up there with the best "seasons" of any TV show.

Me too mate, just brilliant tv.

That's what the members of the union voted... it does raise the question of how much the rank and file resent David Simon (H:LotS being below NYPD Blue and Law & Order?) for not paying his dues in the writers' room for a fourth rate sitcom or soap opera (as opposed to writing about murders in Baltimore for the newspaper), I suppose.

So it's a bit like when Ryan Giggs won the PFA player of the year in 2009 because he broke the Manchester United appearances record and everybody thought he was going to retire? 

• Like 1

Â