The New Condem Government

bickster

further tax on bank bonuses for me

i hope they dont go for teh vat increase but i think they have no choice. i would suggest that they do this for a year year period with the promise of reducing back to 17.5% afterwards

Hang your head in shame Clegg you utter tosspot - a disgrace to the people of Sheffield. No wonder you embrace your new friends so well.

The full list of projects cancelled:

Stonehenge Visitor Centre: £25m

Local Authority Leader Boards: £16m

Sheffield Forgemasters International Limited: £80m

Rollout of the Future Jobs Fund: £290m

Six month offer recruitment subsidies: £30m

Extension of Young Person's Guarantee to 2011/12: £450m

Two year Jobseeker's Guarantee: £515m

Active Challenge Routes - Walk England: £2m

County Sports Partnerships : £6m

North Tees and Hartlepool hospital: £450m

Local Authority Business Growth Initiative: £50m

Outukumpu: £13m

List of projects suspended:

Libraries Modernisation Programme: £12m

Sheffield Retail Quarter: £12m

Kent Thameside Strategic Transport Programme: £23m

University Enterprise Capital Fund: £25m

Newton Scholarships: £25m

Health Research Support Initiative: £73m

Leeds Holt Park Well-being Centre: £50m

Birmingham Magistrates Court: £94m

Successor Deterrent Extension to Concept Phase Long Lead Items: £66m

Search and Rescue Helicopters: £4.6bn (Successor Deterrent Extension to Concept Phase Long Lead Items will be reviewed as part of the broader Trident value for money review, which will report in the coming weeks. Search and Rescue Helicopters will be reviewed as a matter of urgency)

A14 Road: £1.1bn

should impose a Northern tax just so the people North of Watford can have something to moan about :-)

a VAT rise could casue inflation ..wonder if they might just opt for VAT on some zero rated goods this time out ??

Northern working people are united, we fight for each other and build the best Towns and Cities together.

The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) predicts the economy will expand 2.6% in 2011, down from the 3% to 3.5% estimate given in Labour's last Budget.

Therfore everyone will say that successive Governments have indeed been manipulating the figures for political ends...which is why the OBR was set up.
Well yes, but no but. A group of people a few months back, made a guess that a GDP measure covering a period 10-22 months in advance would be 3.25. Now the same group of people but with a different boss, made a guess that a GDP measure covering a period 7-15 months in advance would be 2.6.

So is the new figure more pessimistic because of the new boss directing them, or more accurate because the guesstimated period is closer and more is known of the current state of the economy. The fact the chancellor actually ignored the forecast of 3.25% and used 3% as the basis for working out the budget numbers shows they were uncomfortable with the level of certainty around the predictions.

For the first decade in power, labour's predictions weren't too bad, and if they are 65 basis points out for a figure two years in the future during a time of economic uncertainty, that's not too bad either.

A big pat on the back to Clegg for not putting his own constituency first and for exposing the sham that half these expenditures were.. i.e a shameless attempt to buy votes by the labour party

thank f**k we've finally got Brown's hands out the countrys purse

Of course i hope these cuts dont harm to many people but blame is squarely in the hands of the previous government , though of course not all will see that way

can't see why £1.1bn needs to be spent on the A14 in the first place. All that needs to happen is to cut out the needless stop by the M1 and make the merger from the M6 a bit better and try and put in a relief road by the two major roundabouts between the M6 and Cambridge and that would help traffic flow much better.

The congestion actually happens in the average speed camera limit in and around Cambridge, for the rest of the road it's actually pretty clear for a two lane road.

It's quite clear since the banking crisis that the previous government didn't actually do very much to reduce spending, they just carried on, business as usual.

that figure sounds high

£4.6 Bn does seem to be the figure they are quoting ...

of course it's a well know fact that only the rich have yachts and need rescuing by search and rescue so that's one more in the eye for those that said Cameron would only look after his own :winkold:

that figure sounds high

£4.6 Bn does seem to be the figure they are quoting ...

of course it's a well know fact that only the rich have yachts and need rescuing by search and rescue so that's one more in the eye for those that said Cameron would only look after his own :winkold:

Well them and the poor who get stranded out to see on inflatables while at Skegness or Blackpool. :lol:

a VAT rise could casue inflation

Add to, surely?

..wonder if they might just opt for VAT on some zero rated goods this time out ??

You do rather have it in for zero rated goods as I think this is the fortieth time you've suggested it.

Any particular zero rated goods you'd like them to target, Mr H?

you make it sound like i'm running the economy snowy :-)

it's just you know how governments like to be sneaky about these things

"we are not increasing VAT " .... just applying it to things that didn't already have it ..

same way that labour increased unemployment but denied 2+ million people from claiming or moved them into job seekers and thus went about telling everybody unemployment had dropped

this government lark is simples

you make it sound like i'm running the economy snowy :-)

Could you do a worse job than anyone else? ;-)

it's just you know how governments like to be sneaky about these things

"we are not increasing VAT " .... just applying it to things that didn't already have it ..

They'd only win that particular semantic argument if they applied VAT to exempted items (which are different from zero-rated items, obviously). :-)

A big pat on the back to Clegg for not putting his own constituency first and for exposing the sham that half these expenditures were.. i.e a shameless attempt to buy votes by the labour party

thank f**k we've finally got Brown's hands out the countrys purse

Of course i hope these cuts dont harm to many people but blame is squarely in the hands of the previous government , though of course not all will see that way

Garbage of the highest order.

The "loan" that was planned for Sheffield would have helped the local, the and country economy plus created jobs. The Tory party has not changed its ideals from the Thatcher days and it seems that Clegg is now firmly entrenched in that thinking

How can anybody blame Labour for the future cuts made by the Lib-Con pact; it's utterly ridiculous to even suggest the idea, I thought this Government wanted to bring fresh, positive politics to the British public but, as usual, it's the same old politics, same old Tories. Oh well, if the Tories want to shroud their responsibility let them do so, I didn't expect them to show any courage anyhow.

so if your wife goes out on a reckless spending binge with your credit card and rings up a £5 k bill and you have to cut back on a few things to pay off the debt , whose fault would it be ?

now when you have your answer replace wife with incompetent clearing in the woods and £5k with £1000000000000000000000000000 and why should your answer change

same old Tories

i agree .. sorting out a previous Labour governments mess ..same old Tories

Tony how the heck can you be "happy" that a sure fire job creation scheme for a loan that would place a UK at the forefront of a business that will be the power industry of the future.

Thatcher had a hatred of UK manufacturing and the north in general. I expected the same from Cameron, but Clegg has completely and utterly sold him and his old party out, and more importantly his constituents - at the end of the day he is a MP. It's a disgraceful example of the wrong attitude that the ConDem's are taking and one that will seemingly is determined to hit hard against the people who can least afford these cuts.

Add to that massive cuts in front line services, the ones that both of them still maintained they would ring fence and protect show that the ConDem's are a party of liars and hypocrites with nothing but a desire to look after their own paymasters

Â