The New Condem Government

bickster

Greens on course to getting 10% of the vote, apparently.

Not bad.

If they'd been given the same TV opportunities as UKIP, it might have been better still.

I am not sure about that.

If the Greens had been subjected to as much scrutiny as UKIP, people might have got round to actually reading their manifesto and might have concluded that behind the benign Lucas smile is the sort of left-wing statist agenda which promises to bring about an environmentally sound version of East Germany.

Euphemisms like, "quieter, cleaner, safer streets" can only mean fewer and slower cars, and "move away from an obsession with growth" means shrinking the economy.

Raising the tax-burden from 36% to 40% of gdp is probably not what the 'squeezed middle' would want to inflict upon themselves, especially if that gdp is shrinking.

Re-introducing the fuel-tax escalator, increasing tax on alcohol by 50%, and adding VAT to the price of a new house, are not the sort of things the vast majority of people want and would probably consider extreme.

If members of the Green Party were subjected to the same amount of scrutiny as UKIP, there is little doubt that we would find all sorts of eco-idealists who would want long-haul flights banned, strict limits to be placed on the import of food, and a ban on the slaughter of farm animals etc.

It is the Green Party's aim to base the UK economy on manufacturing and agriculture, which would take the country backwards. 

They would assume a lot more power to the state, control the economy centrally, and ensure capital flight would impoverish the country.

This is far more extreme than UKIP's promise to control immigration and cut a few taxes.

• Like 3

Further to the point earlier about not seeing any UKIP voters yet they do so well, how come there are so many Greens on VT but evidently not that many in the country as a whole? Isn't the Midlands mostly Labour?

Edited by Mantis

I'd ban all non-essential car transport tomorrow, if I could.

Force people to work from home with the advent of this amazing 'internet' technology.

Or get jobs closer to home.

Or cycle to jobs slightly further out.

It aint gonna happen, which is why I can speculate about it. 

• Like 1

Further to the point earlier about not seeing any UKIP voters yet they do so well, how come there are so many Greens on VT but evidently not that many in the country as a whole? Isn't the Midlands mostly Labour?

Yes it's exactly the same thing in reverse.  UKIP are popular despite nobody being willing to admit that they vote for them.  The Greens poll absolutely no votes at all despite everybody apparently thinking they're great.  (Yes I know they haqve 1 MP to UKIP's nil).

Darren's post above highlights the Green Party way of thinking entirely.  Lots of nice ideas, that stand absolutely no chance of working or being voted for in the real world, whatsoever.

I suspect most of the reluctance to look to Green rather than UKIP is that UKIP offer an easier option - blame foreigners for the problems and offer more of the same economically.

The Greens represent a more difficult path which would require a hell of a lot of work.

It's a path I prefer even if it has faults, but no party is perfect.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 4

Oxford City declared a Tory-free zone :thumb:

A town full of millionaire, quinoa-munching pseuds running around in beat up cars to prove how hip they are.

Tell it to the Cowley workers (now BMW rather than BMC, thanks, Thatcher). 

Yeah thanks Thatcher.  Even though she'd been out of office for 4 years and it was in fact John Major.  But still.

Greens on course to getting 10% of the vote, apparently.

Not bad.

If they'd been given the same TV opportunities as UKIP, it might have been better still.

I am not sure about that.

If the Greens had been subjected to as much scrutiny as UKIP, people might have got round to actually reading their manifesto and might have concluded that behind the benign Lucas smile is the sort of left-wing statist agenda which promises to bring about an environmentally sound version of East Germany.

Euphemisms like, "quieter, cleaner, safer streets" can only mean fewer and slower cars, and "move away from an obsession with growth" means shrinking the economy.

Raising the tax-burden from 36% to 40% of gdp is probably not what the 'squeezed middle' would want to inflict upon themselves, especially if that gdp is shrinking.

Re-introducing the fuel-tax escalator, increasing tax on alcohol by 50%, and adding VAT to the price of a new house, are not the sort of things the vast majority of people want and would probably consider extreme.

If members of the Green Party were subjected to the same amount of scrutiny as UKIP, there is little doubt that we would find all sorts of eco-idealists who would want long-haul flights banned, strict limits to be placed on the import of food, and a ban on the slaughter of farm animals etc.

It is the Green Party's aim to base the UK economy on manufacturing and agriculture, which would take the country backwards. 

They would assume a lot more power to the state, control the economy centrally, and ensure capital flight would impoverish the country.

This is far more extreme than UKIP's promise to control immigration and cut a few taxes.

So you genuinely wouldn't want to live in a quieter, cleaner, safer street? 

That list has actually got me interested......

• Like 1

BMC merged with British Leyland and was closed down in 1986... 4 years before she was out of office.

Unfortunately the point was concerning BMW, who bought the BAE shares in 94.

Edited by Risso

Â