The New Condem Government

bickster

How do you know it's 80%? Did we have a questionnaire sent to us or something? I must have missed that one.

The poll was by Populous, apparently.

*EDIT* to insert source: Link

I'm for staying in the EU though I do think there are some parts of the agreement that should be changed. Immigration and justice policies for a start.

Sadly the EU don't want to play that game. If the UK starts to unpick bits they don't like then other countries will want to do the same, somewhat defeating their core drive towards "ever closer union".

Barroso might be a scumbag Maoist, but at least he's honest about that point:

David Cameron's plans to claw back UK powers from Brussels are "doomed to failure" as all 28 member states would fail to back Britain's "unreasonable" demands, European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso has warned.

Barroso poured scorn on the Prime Minister's plan to bring legislation from the EU back into the UK's control, insisting that it would only be achievable by reviewing over 150,000 pages of EU law on a case-by-case basis.

"There are two ways. One is the pragmatic reasonable approach, seeing case by case whether legislation is needed or not," he told reporters.

"The other one is to have a fundamental discussion about the competences of the EU, even in terms of renationalisation. I think the second approach is doomed to failure."

Linky

Edited by Awol

Ugh, I can already imagine the Mail's horrid campaign.

In fact, if it ended up an 'in-out' referendum, the whole thing will quickly descend from a reasonable debate about the pros and cons of being in the EU, to a mud slinging match between those who shout loudest - the fascists and the anti-fascists.

The daily Mail is no worse than any other newspaper. Just depends on what side of the fence you are on.

The Daily Mail is a newspaper for people who are category 5 morons.

The reality is that just because you buy/read the Mail doesn't make you a moron. Might mean you are misguided mind...

The daily Mail is no worse than any other newspaper. Just depends on what side of the fence you are on.

The reality is that just because you buy/read the Mail doesn't make you a moron. Might mean you are misguided mind...

Might also mean you keep birds and need something to line the bottom of the cage with.

And the guardian is for total pricks .

And the guardian is for total pricks .

I don't know... Dr Pangloss has facts to back up his statement.

• Like 1

Or it might even mean that you are someone who can read, filter, interpret and form your own opinion regardless of the editorial slant. Which is what one should do when consuming from media source. Unless you a total word removed who accepts every word churned out by whatever organ is aligned with your political views.

Edited by privateer

Or it might even mean that you are someone who can read, filter, interpret and form your own opinion regardless of the editorial slant. Which is what one should do when consuming from media source. Unless you a total word removed who accepts every word churned out by whatever organ is aligned with your political views.
. Unless you are on the left , in which case , everyone else is a nazi or satan .

Damn straight. Fascists the lot of them.

. You lefties make me laugh .

Modern liberalism is like a religion, disagree with their views and fervorous bile will pour down upon you from the heavens - without the slightest hint of irony. 

• Like 1

Modern liberalism is like a religion, disagree with their views and fervorous bile will pour down upon you from the heavens - without the slightest hint of irony.

. Totally agree .

what is satire

In CED's case, certainly.   The broader point stands though. Many lefties (and this is aimed at commentators like Polly Toynbee not posters on here) spew streams of spiteful and infantilised logic at their ideological opponents and the less cerebral of their acolytes tend to make this approach their own.  Question gay marriage? You're homophobic. Question EU membership? You're a racist - ad infinitum.

They represent the willing suspension of critical analysis, exchanged for the warm comfortable blanket of absolute certainty that your view is the only one with merit.  They are the people who stand outside the Conservative Party conference with "kill Tory scum" plastered on their T-shirts. They are the people who scream "Fascist" at perfectly decent people going into a public meeting to listen to UKIP. They are anti-democratic, they are viscous, they are simpletons and they deserve nothing but contempt.

• Like 2

what is satire

In CED's case, certainly.   The broader point stands though. Many lefties (and this is aimed at commentators like Polly Toynbee not posters on here) spew streams of spiteful and infantilised logic at their ideological opponents and the less cerebral of their acolytes tend to make this approach their own.  Question gay marriage? You're homophobic. Question EU membership? You're a racist - ad infinitum.

They represent the willing suspension of critical analysis, exchanged for the warm comfortable blanket of absolute certainty that your view is the only one with merit.  They are the people who stand outside the Conservative Party conference with "kill Tory scum" plastered on their T-shirts. They are the people who scream "Fascist" at perfectly decent people going into a public meeting to listen to UKIP. They are anti-democratic, they are viscous, they are simpletons and they deserve nothing but contempt.

this is one of the most intelligent and well informed assessments of the way some treat the wider political debate that I have seen in a very long time

...The broader point stands though. Many lefties (and this is aimed at commentators like Polly Toynbee not posters on here) spew streams of spiteful and infantilised logic at their ideological opponents and the less cerebral of their acolytes tend to make this approach their own.  Question gay marriage? You're homophobic. Question EU membership? You're a racist - ad infinitum.

There's probably a small something in that. I think there's at least an equally valid view could be put about "many Right Wingers" (and this is aimed at commentators like Melanie Phillips, not posters on here) spew streams of spiteful and infantilised logic at their ideological opponents and the less cerebral of their acolytes tend to make this approach their own.  Question Israeli Gov't policy? You're anti-semetic, a baseless hater of Israel, Question EU withdrawl? You're an anti-democratic idiot - ad infinitum.

They represent the willing suspension of critical analysis, exchanged for the warm comfortable blanket of absolute certainty that your view is the only one with merit.  They are the people who stand outside Mosques with "kill Muslim scum" plastered on their T-shirts. They are the people who scream "Communist fruitcake" at perfectly decent people going into a public meeting to listen to the Green party. They are anti-democratic, they are viscous, they are simpletons and they deserve nothing but contempt.

You get my point, I'm sure. There are idiots everywhere, regardless of which paper we might say they read. Though tbf, most of them probably don't read broadsheets. I'm not a massive fan of Polly Toynbe, but I don't recognise your description of her writing, though I get the point about aspects of the Guardian's editorial preachiness, on occasion, to an extent. The same in reverse is true of say the Telegraph, mind.

• Like 2

this is one of the most intelligent and well informed assessments of the way some treat the wider political debate that I have seen in a very long time

Without in any way dissing AWOL, or yourself, if you take the party political part out of it, then yes. If you leave that in, then either it isn't, or you don't read much. That's genuinely not meant as a dig at either of you, just that the point is absolutely not (for me) a left/right one, but just a societal one.

• Like 1

Â