Jez

Few Fiorentina bits in the news today, Emiliano Insúa is in talks with Fiorentina over a rumoured £5m transfer, we've terminated Keirrison's loan early and are looking at getting rid of Adrian Mutu.

Bit underwhelmed by Insúa but I suppose for £5m you can't complain, he'd have to oust Manuel Pasqual anyway plus he could even prove handy in a less physical league.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger eyes Mark Scwharzer and Joe Cole

Arsenal will renew their interest in Mark Scwharzer and Joe Cole when Arsene Wenger returns to London this week after the end of the World Cup.

By Jeremy Wilson

Published: 8:52PM BST 11 Jul 2010

Wenger has spent most of the past month in South Africa scouting players and working for French television, but would ideally like to complete his transfer business during the next week ahead of Arsenal’s pre-season training camp in Austria.

He has already secured two of his major targets in striker Marouane Chamakh and centre-back Laurent Koscielny, but wants to add one more defender and a new goalkeeper. Talks are also now expected with Cole, although his arrival is understood to be dependent on the sale of another attacking player, probably Eduardo.

Arsenal have already been knocked back once by Fulham over Schwarzer but, after the departure of Roy Hodgson to Liverpool, there is hope that a deal can be pushed through in the coming days. At 37, Schwarzer would be a relatively short-term solution to the goalkeeping mistakes that cost Arsenal last season, with Wenger retaining considerable faith in his younger keepers. There is particular hope that 20 year-old Poland international Wojciech Szczesny will emerge in the longer-term. The interest in Schwarzer is bad news, however, for Manuel Almunia, who had a difficult season both personally and professionally and has been linked with a move back to Spain.

Despite spending £8.5 million on recruiting Koscielny from French club Lorient, Wenger also wants to add one more defender to his squad before the transfer window closes.

William Gallas, Philippe Senderos and Mikael Silvestre have all departed since the end of last season, while Sol Campbell will not make a final decision on the offer of a one-year contract until he returns from his honeymoon. Germany defender Serdar Tasci has emerged as an option and has publicly expressed his admiration for Wenger.

“It is not over, we are still open to buy,” said Wenger. “We are still on the market for another defensive player because we have the need for one more.” Wenger is also confident that a recurrence of Nicklas Bendtner’s groin injury is not serious.

Clicky

The point is Dem why would he join us? There is little difference between sitting on Everton's bench and sitting on ours because he isn't going to be a first team starter at Villa, no chance. So why would he want to come to us? I would guess the reason he has gone to Newcastle is that he wants to play and with the midfielders they have he probably will.

Rodwell is class, but another of there players i would take a look at is Vaughan, quality striker if he can stay fit but AG maybe able to tell us whether he's part of Everton's plans.

I rate him highly, I think Everton are trying to sell him, if we can keep him fit I'd take him without doubt

Vaughn's Dad used to run the Highway Man Toby Carvery in Shenstone, think he lived in Four Oaks as he went to Arthur Terry school.

Heard he's a villa fan but not 100%. Funny how he ended up at Everton from growing up round here.

Rodwell is class, but another of there players i would take a look at is Vaughan, quality striker if he can stay fit but AG maybe able to tell us whether he's part of Everton's plans.

I think he is going on loan.

I love the kid. Be gutted if he leaves.

Vaughn's Dad used to run the Highway Man Toby Carvery in Shenstone, think he lived in Four Oaks as he went to Arthur Terry school.

Heard he's a villa fan but not 100%. Funny how he ended up at Everton from growing up round here.

His family moved up to Preston when James was 6 or so and he joined Everton's academy. His family moved back down to Birmingham when he was 14 but he stayed up here to play for us.

His dad goes to most Everton games home and away.

Vaughany does still call himself a Brummie. He's Everton though :winkold: