Jez

It is tricky to be fair.

At Man City i think the competition for places is too fierce. Saying that at Chelsea there isnt really ant stability ie. going through managers like its going out of fashion.

No problems Wiggy, no it was just all the hype around Chelsea in the press, that this is their year to win it, they have the special manager in the Champions League and the players. I

Only messing mate, i know what you mean. Roman thinks its the managers fault, when in reality the main problem is as you say, the team is just not good enough.

Manchester United's thing now is to only spend big money on younger talent, ones that either represent a good return for large investment in terms of potential resale or just longevity in the side - de Gea is both. (It's also for this reason I'm not completely sure they'll go for Young unless he goes for a lot less than we might hope.

They may be loaded with obscene debt but they still have the power to spend incredible money. They're just rather more aware now of how they spend it.

I haven't seen a whole lot of de Gea but wow paying that much for a 20 year old keeper is a huge gamble no matter how good he is.

I would have thought they would have gone for someone with a bit more experience, I mean keepers tend to need experience more so than other players.

He's only played a season and a half as a regular starter for Atlético and so moving to United as a first choice keeper is a huge step and then the pressure from moving for such a huge amount is gonna kick in. Then of course he has to fill the shoes of Mr VDS!

Really looking forward seeing how he'll get on.

I haven't seen a whole lot of de Gea but wow paying that much for a 20 year old keeper is a huge gamble no matter how good he is.

I would have thought they would have gone for someone with a bit more experience, I mean keepers tend to need experience more so than other players.

He's only played a season and a half as a regular starter for Atlético and so moving to United as a first choice keeper is a huge step and then the pressure from moving for such a huge amount is gonna kick in. Then of course he has to fill the shoes of Mr VDS!

Really looking forward seeing how he'll get on.

I've watch him a bit and he is truly class. Well worth the money, the only issues will be his english and how he settles but he has time on his side.

Van Der Saar will continue for one more season, whick gives De Gea a chance to settle in. SAF will play De Gea in cup games and slowly phase him in as number 1 over the course of the season.

I remember when everyone was raving about them signing Lindegaard though, and how he was going to be the successor for VDS. Obviously he's not proved himself in training. 17m surely shows intent for De Gea to be number 1 keeper fairly soon though.