Jez

Just came on to post the Enrique thing. Apparently they tried to buy both Carroll and Enrique in Jan but Newcastle said no until summer.. tbf there would have been a riot if they sold both Enrique and Carrol in Jan.

Piotr Trochowski's heading to Sevilla on a free as his contract runs out in the summer and he's fallen out with Hamburg coach Michael Oenning. Absolute bargain if he settles.

Carroll was a waste of money for the price, but more signings like Enrique and Suarez and they'll be challenging again

Ignoring the fee, Carroll was a cracking signing. Him and Suarez will be a devastating combo up front. There's no way he could ever justify the fee so we just have to see him for what he is. An up and coming striker. Circumstances dictated that they would be fleeced, but that doesn't mean they haven't potentially sorted their attacking line-up for the next 10 years.

One of my Man U supporting mates saying it looks as though they will be going in for Luka Modric in the summer. Good signing if so... but do they really need 2 or 3 of Sneijder, Adam, Modric and Young? Frightening attack if they do though.

well doubt they will get all 4 but Fergie does need a real top quality centre midfielder but he also needs a top goalkeeper. This summer will be an indication if money still at Old Trafford

Carroll was a waste of money for the price, but more signings like Enrique and Suarez and they'll be challenging again :(

Really?

He's only like... 20 isnt he?

Got a long way to go before you can deem it as a waste of money.

Come-on he cost over £30m, that is a big price tag to live up to. One goal won't change that, I'm not denying he's a quality player but you pay the amount Liverpool did for world class players.

Who knows the player he will become?

With 10+ years left of his career, 3m a year doesn't seem so bad if he can score 10+ goals a year.

I think he has a lot of quality and has the potential to be a huge player (not just in size :P )

Shame he's just a bit of a clearing in the woods really!

he might be 20 but they got taken to the cleaners purely because he's english, half a season in the prem one england cap and he's worth £35m?

more than suarez who had starred for ajax for a couple of years and at the world cup! more than torres! more than bent! amazingly more than villa!

its stupid money however you look at it, they could have bought any other foreign youngster in the world (bar probably the 10 times better looking neymar) for £20m less

more than torres!

Wrong :lol::P

Yeah, of course it's crazy money. To spend 30million on any player in the world seems crazy to me.

But... like you said he's English. So that puts the price up quite a lot. But i dunno.... when you think about in terms of swapping Torres and Babel for Carrol and Suarez it seems quite reasonable.

I was pretty much gonna say what villa4europe said.

It's all about value for money and imo Carroll doesn't offer that. Also agree that Suarez is better and Bent is just as valuable. Half of his goal tally this season came against us.

He was what they needed though, a big target man striker and they better hope he doesn't turn into a massive flop. Funnily enough I think Dzeko is twice the player yet has shown very little so far for City.

yeah the fact that chelsea spent stupid money on torres (and i meant his liverpool move :P) no doubt added at least £10m to carrolls price too

chelsea buying torres was even worse IMO but shouldnt be used to justify carrolls fee, the torres + babel = carroll + suarez is a poor arguement, no matter what the red tops and ITVs commentators try and tell me i dont think he's the future of english football

yeah the fact that chelsea spent stupid money on torres (and i meant his liverpool move :P) no doubt added at least £10m to carrolls price too

chelsea buying torres was even worse IMO but shouldnt be used to justify carrolls fee, the torres + babel = carroll + suarez is a poor arguement, no matter what the red tops and ITVs commentators try and tell me i dont think he's the future of english football

How is it a poor argument? Yeah, Liverpool might have saved a few quid if they had waited until the close season to sign Andy Carroll, but its a lot more complicated than that isnt it? The money spent was a statement of intent from the new owners, it sent a message to the supporters that the new Americans are nothing like the old ones and it didn't cost them anything to make that point clear.

If you look at the deal from purely footballing reasons then Liverpool will also say they are better off with Suarez and Carroll than they were with a has been and a never was.