Jez

The Times announcement

Liverpool have made a £35 million offer for Andy Carroll, the England striker, matching Newcastle United’s asking price. Although the deal remains some way from being completed, Liverpool see the raw but talented 21-year-old as the perfect replacement for Fernando Torres, who appears set to conclude a deal to join Chelsea later today. The arrival of Carroll at Anfield would send out a signal of intent as Kenny Dalglish attempts to rebuild his squad. A number of factors are still to be agreed, including Carroll’s personal terms. Anfield officials made their first formal offer for Carroll early this morning, but Newcastle rejected their initial £25 million bid.

The Times Website..

Just a totally different sort of player to Torres imo.

I'm actually quite angry at this. Carrol is a word removed of the highest order. He has shown a reasonable amount of promise for 6 months and now he's the subject of the highest ever domestic transfer (and will no doubt have a salary to match). I really do hate football sometime

That is crazy.

£30m was bad enough, but now £35m?!

When you spend that sort of money you want a player who is proven in that league or the type of signing that is known as 'World Class'. Andy Carroll is neither and Newcastle will be laughing their way to the bank. Carroll may be a star but that is crazy money.

£1m more than Barcelona paid for David Villa :shock:

:bonk: Liverpool.

Nothing but desperation, why they can't wait till the summer I don't know, they don't really have anything to play for this season other then European qualification.

He is very young though so that jacks up the price.

After only 6 months in the prem there is probably more of a chance he'll go downhill rather than improve. The 'unknown' factor should act as a stabiliser.

Rooney didn't even cost that kind of money and at the same age he was twice the player.

Ronney's on a sh*t hot streak at the moment too! :)

Suarez and Carroll up front is better than a sulky Torres i suppose and it's not my money.