Jez

• 5 weeks later...
Barce agree deal to buy Afellay from PSV

Afellay

Why? i have no idea personnally dont think hes good enough to play for Barce or even as back up,Now im not saying he aint a good player but not Barce standards that is all.

He ripped it up when the Dutch dominated the group stages at EURO 2008 but I saw a few games this season and he looks like a billy big bollocks in a shit league....he'll be shipped out before he even lands in Barcelona.

I know Barcelona is quite the 'feather in your cap', but if Afellay has any real ambition he should surely be looking for first team football, and there's no way he's going to get anywhere near that Barcelona team unless they have 3 or 4 simultaneous injuries.

I know Barcelona is quite the 'feather in your cap', but if Afellay has any real ambition he should surely be looking for first team football, and there's no way he's going to get anywhere near that Barcelona team unless they have 3 or 4 simultaneous injuries.

Surely if you have any real ambition you are going to try and play for the biggest team you can?

International footballers tend not to be the type of people to say "I'm not good enough to go and play there".

If Eidur Gudjohnsen was good enough to get games for them, Afellay will do just fine.

Surely if you have any real ambition you are going to try and play for the biggest team you can?

You're also going to want to be a first team regular.

He's good enough to be a star player for a Champions League club. Barcelona he's going to be an also-ran. There is absolutely no way he'll get anywhere near that starting 11. Not a slight against his ability - just that he's competing with quite possibly the greatest players currently in world football.

He's good enough to be a star player for a Champions League club. Barcelona he's going to be an also-ran. There is absolutely no way he'll get anywhere near that starting 11. Not a slight against his ability - just that he's competing with quite possibly the greatest players currently in world football.

Got to get into the mindset of a player though. If your a player and a club comes in for you, the biggest club in the world, would you not think 'Hang on a minute, they aren't going to buy me for the sake it.....I want to push on and if I train well and play well given the opportunity, I can become a regular'....Barcelona have probably spoke to him and said the same thing, he is there to compete for places. Because obviously that's what they think he will do, you don't buy a player just to not play them, you might buy a player, then they end up not being good enough but you initially don't buy players because they aren't good enough.

They don't have the great cover on the wings to be fair (which is where he can play isn't it?)...Pedro is a fine player but he also isn't special like Messi, Villa, Iniesta so who knows, maybe he has the quality to go and steal Pedro's place or at least compete for it and rotate. He's 24, play for Barca...2 years down the road, haven't played much, deemed not good enough, move on...aged 26 but at least he gave it a go. He knows he wasn't quite there.

I don't think you could look back on your career of a footballer and look back to when you rejected Barca and never got the opportunity again!

Got to get into the mindset of a player though. If your a player and a club comes in for you, the biggest club in the world, would you not think 'Hang on a minute, they aren't going to buy me for the sake it.....I want to push on and if I train well and play well given the opportunity, I can become a regular'....Barcelona have probably spoke to him and said the same thing, he is there to compete for places. Because obviously that's what they think he will do, you don't buy a player just to not play them, you might buy a player, then they end up not being good enough but you initially don't buy players because they aren't good enough.

They don't have the great cover on the wings to be fair (which is where he can play isn't it?)...Pedro is a fine player but he also isn't special like Messi, Villa, Iniesta so who knows, maybe he has the quality to go and steal Pedro's place or at least compete for it and rotate. He's 24, play for Barca...2 years down the road, haven't played much, deemed not good enough, move on...aged 26 but at least he gave it a go. He knows he wasn't quite there.

I don't think you could look back on your career of a footballer and look back to when you rejected Barca and never got the opportunity again!

Nicely clarified for me, thanks.

Like when Sidwell went to Chelsea. He could have easily signed for Fulham or Middlesbrough and played every game or he could try and test himself and see if he could break into the midfield of the best team in the country.

A middle-ranking team was bound to pick him up if it didn't work out anyway.

I thought he was a central midfielder? Competing against Iniesta and Xavi just isn't something that can be done.

I see your point though, certainly..

I guess I'm just too used to seeing good young talent get wasted at Spurs, I immediately assume the same will happen to players who make a giant step up.

I think Pedro is safe in his position as people might not think he is a special player but he is. 20 goals in his debut profesional season and scored goals in 3 finals.

Afellay is back-up similar to what Hleb was

Robert Pires has set his sights on earning a contract with an English club after returning to London to train with Arsenal.

"England is probably the place where I have the more chances to find a club," he explained.

"In England, people don't look at your age. In Spain it was not the case, which is why I had to say goodbye.

"Even for a club like Birmingham or Stoke City? Of course, if I have an opportunity from Aston Villa, I will rush.

Not much relevance but thought id post it anyway.

Was quite relevent it seems.

Thanks dudevillaisnice for clarification.

MANCHESTER CITY chiefs have decided to take a £50million hit on five players.

The world's richest club will listen to offers in the January transfer window for Emmanuel Adebayor, Wayne Bridge, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Roque Santa Cruz and Jo.

Keeper Shay Given will also be made available — but for the £7m he was originally bought for.

All six stars were signed by Mark Hughes, City boss Roberto Mancini's predecessor, at a total cost of £87.5million.

But few have figured regularly this season and Mancini fears the presence of some of them is having a negative influence at the club.

City chief executive Garry Cook and chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak discussed the transfer window with Mancini before flying to Abu Dhabi to meet owner Sheikh Mansour for a board meeting.

There, they delivered Mancini's plans for the restructuring of the squad for a second-half title push.

They include landing two new strikers, with Wolfsburg's Bosnian frontman Edin Dzeko topping the list as a £35m target.

City will take the biggest hits on strikers Adebayor, 26, and Santa Cruz, 29.

Adebayor cost £25m from Arsenal but is available for £12m after failing to set the world alight following his move in July 2009.

Paraguayan Santa Cruz, meanwhile, was an £18m buy from Hughes' former club Blackburn but will be up for grabs at a mere £4m.

City, though, seem prepared to make losses in all areas of the pitch.

Left-back Bridge, 30, cost £12m from Chelsea in January 2009 but City will now accept £5m.

And then there is winger Wright-Phillips, 28, who returned for a second spell at City following an £8.5m move to Stamford Bridge in August 2008.

He spoke about his desire to see it out at City this season but talks on a new deal have stalled and the club will take £5m for him.

The £17m deal for Brazilian flop Jo, 23, was agreed by former boss Sven Goran Eriksson but completed under Hughes and City know they will now be lucky to get £4m.

In fact, the only player City bosses want their full money back on is Given, 34, who they bought from Newcastle in January 2009.

The Republic of Ireland stopper lost his place to Joe Hart at the start of the season and said this week he had to get a move in the New Year.

Ironically, Given will play his first Premier League game of the season away to Fulham on Sunday when he replaces Hart, who is out for a week with a back injury picked up on England duty.

What City will not do is compensate the highly-paid players if they move. The six stars in question earn between £60,000 and £130,000 a week and will struggle to get the same wages elsewhere.

But City will tell them and their agents they are knocking down asking prices, so the players can get the moves they want - and return to action again.

In short, any make-up in wages will have to be organised with the buying club.

City have already lost just over £10m this year on British record signing Robinho, who was bought for £32.5m and sold to AC Milan for £22m in August.

And striker Craig Bellamy, 31, a £14m buy from West Ham, is currently on loan at Cardiff.

But the City hierarchy are determined to back Mancini in his plans despite outside pressures.

Mancini told the club's board in the summer it was his way or no way if he was going to continue as manager.

City lie fourth in the table after an incredible £320m investment in the squad in just over two years.

http://tiny.cc/xqc6z

So one will pick up a bargin if true. I have always liked Jo; wouldn't mind seeing him at the Villa.