Jez

I think the vast majority of prem/championship keepers are good shot stoppers. Claiming crosses seems to of become more of a niche skill as with the new balls & how they move it's turned a lot of keeps into line huggers.

Crosses are important, but being able to participate with throws and 60 yard passes is also just as important. That's what really separates the great from the just good goalkeepers these days, when you are also able to act like a 5th defender in terms of creating quick counters.

• Like 2

I think the vast majority of prem/championship keepers are good shot stoppers. Claiming crosses seems to of become more of a niche skill as with the new balls & how they move it's turned a lot of keeps into line huggers.

Crosses are important, but being able to participate with throws and 60 yard passes is also just as important. That's what really separates the great from the just good goalkeepers these days, when you are also able to act like a 5th defender in terms of creating quick counters.

Totally agree with you. That's why all the pundits were gushing over Manuel Neuer & rightly so.

But what you listed as attributes for a top keeper isn't found too often these days.

• Like 1

a 30 year old left back for 16 million. stupid signing from a club that hasn't a clue at the moment

He's been playing at centre back since he came back from his achilles problem, but he's not exactly set the world on fire. I wouldn't swap him for Vlaar, put it that way.