The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

Giefer loses month's memory

Giefer loses month's memory

fabiangiefer20110807_275x155.jpg

Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Fabian Giefer has revealed he cannot remember anything about the last month after being concussed in the weekend's 2-0 defeat to Mainz.

Giefer needed treatment after clashing with Mainz's Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting in the 84th minute of the game and, although he carried on through to the end, he was taken to a local hospital after the match where he was kept in for observation overnight.

After being discharged yesterday, Giefer has complained of being left with a significant void in his memory.

"I have a complete mental blank," he told the Express newspaper. "I could not even remember how we played. I cannot remember our preparation for the game, the hotel in Mainz or even our training camp in Zillertal. I have lost one month's memory and that is pretty scary."

Giefer was selected by Leverkusen coach Robin Dutt ahead of David Yelldell, who had become first choice following an injury to Rene Adler.

His place in the Leverkusen team next weekend against Werder Bremen should not be in any doubt due to the concussion, but it may be due to his performance. Giefer was at fault for one of the Mainz goals, although he says he cannot remember that either.

"I don't know anything about my mistake," he added.

2011/12 DFB Cup second round ties:

Eintracht Frankfurt - 1. FC Kaiserslautern

Holstein Kiel - MSV Duisburg

RB Leipzig - FC Augsburg

Unterhaching - VfL Bochum

Eintracht Trier - Hamburger SV

FC Heidenheim - Borussia M´gladbach

Rot-Weiss Essen - Hertha Berlin

Borussia Dortmund - Dynamo Dresden

Greuther Fürth - Paderborn

Erzgebirge Aue - Nürnberg

Hoffenheim - FC Köln

Hannover 96 - Mainz

Fortuna Düsseldorf - 1860 München

Bayern - FC Ingolstadt

VfB Stuttgart - FSV Frankfurt

Karlsruher - Schalke

Former Man Utd reserve 'keeper Ron-Robert Zieler - whom Hannover 96 picked up for the sum of nought at the start of last season - has been called up to the German national squad for their upcoming games against Austria and Poland. Andy Köpke's a fan; "(Zieler) embodies the modern goalkeeping game we want to see in the DFB".

Hannover were 4th last season one place behind Bayern Munich. I really can see them knocking Sevilla out. It's finely balanced but they've at the least got a good chance.

Â