Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

49 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It's an annoyingly presented article. It almost suggests that a change in the rules is something that he is now going to take advantage of...

I think the annoying thing is that essentially the rules are being changed to get him in because he’s quite good.  It looks cynical to me. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I think the annoying thing is that essentially the rules are being changed to get him in because he’s quite good.  It looks cynical to me. 

Perhaps, although the rules seemed a bit silly... if you're father is British and your mother is West Indian, then I would think the logical thing is to let the player choose.

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Perhaps, although the rules seemed a bit silly... if you're father is British and your mother is West Indian, then I would think the logical thing is to let the player choose.

Arguably, though didn’t he grow up in the windies and only move here to earn money playing. I’ve no problem with that, btw, but it’s not good for windies cricket and the game generally, perhaps. I get for the player coming here is more lucrative, but changing the rules to strengthen England still seems cynical to me. Brilliant player though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

Arguably, though didn’t he grow up in the windies and only move here to earn money playing. I’ve no problem with that, btw, but it’s not good for windies cricket and the game generally, perhaps. I get for the player coming here is more lucrative, but changing the rules to strengthen England still seems cynical to me. Brilliant player though.

Yes, it's easy to see it as a cynical move, but it's worth noting that the 7 year rule is an ECB rule. Changing it to 3 years brings ECB regulations in to line with the ICC regulations on this matter. He's been pretty vocal from the word go about wanting to play for England, although whether that motivation is purely financial I guess only he knows. I seem to recall an interview where he said his reasoning was two-fold... he wanted the chance to play a the highest level he could, so he came to England, and the Windies snubbed him a few years back so he decided he'd try and play for England instead.

Seen a lot of him over here during the Big Bash, very likeable guy. And I've never seen a better last over bowler in T20! The thought of us having a top class genuinely fast bowler available is pretty mouthwatering :)

• Like 1

3 years seems pretty short to me, but given the make up of our team over the past 15 years or so, I guess it's not knew. Hope he isn't immediately crow-barred into an England side though and still just gets picked on form. 

17 hours ago, Rodders said:

3 years seems pretty short to me, but given the make up of our team over the past 15 years or so, I guess it's not knew. Hope he isn't immediately crow-barred into an England side though and still just gets picked on form. 

Our ODI side is very strong, but I'd certainly have him in the squad as an option for the world cup - form allowing. Better option than Wood.

Edited by MrDuck

19 hours ago, Rodders said:

I agree. It looks like they’ve changed the criteria specifically to get him available. Like I said, it looks a cynical move to me. That said, he is a brilliant talent who would add to the quality and spectacle. A while back Eoin Morgan reckoned the squad was effectively already picked, barring injuries, so he’ll have to start like a house on fire to force his way in. Good luck to the bloke, cricket needs all the stars it can get.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

Looks like Bears are gonna lose The King of Spain to England again. Gilo set to take over from Strauss as Director of Cricket for the ECB.

Can't begrudge him it, but it's a shame for the Mighty Bears. I was hoping Alec Stewart would apply, as he's done a brilliant job, too and it would stuff Surrey :P

• Like 1

On 30/11/2018 at 04:43, blandy said:

I'm a bit late to this but I believe that his injuries were badly mismanaged when he was a teenager for which he was blamed, then left out of the Windies under 19 World Cup squad as a result.  It took him a year or two playing club cricket over here with my local team Horsham to get noticed by Sussex, so coming over for money reasons doesn't ring true.  They have changed the qualification rules deliberately though, which I believe they'd only changed to 7 years in recent times due to the influx of Kolpak cricketers.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, blandy said:

Can't begrudge him it, but it's a shame for the Mighty Bears. I was hoping Alec Stewart would apply, as he's done a brilliant job, too and it would stuff Surrey :P

That would be interesting but, personally, can't see it. Would the great Alan Donald be a suitable candidate do you think ?

3 minutes ago, veloman said:

That would be interesting but, personally, can't see it. Would the great Alan Donald be a suitable candidate do you think ?

Isn’t AD more a bowling coach? Working at Kent at the mo. IIRC

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

Isn’t AD more a bowling coach? Working at Kent at the mo. IIRC

Of course !! You are right - although Kent are second rate compared with The Bears😀 . So … who would you all have ?

The son of a family friend is currently in Sydney, and playing for the Sydney Uni cricket team. He played against Steve Smith's club side the other day, and got Smiths wicket with a great delivery. Dad suitably proud!
Curiously Smith is so far averaging notably less in club cricket than he did at test level. I wonder if he'll every get back to where he was pre-sandpaper?

Edited by MrDuck
  • Like 4

The Big Bash League starts in Australia today, Wednesday 19th December.

I watched this last year on BT Sport and really enjoyed it. I had a BT subscription so i could watch the Ashes and then ditched it afterwards.

Its on BT Sport again this time around and i have no intention of getting that over priced channel.

Does anyone know of a stream/site where i can watch this live either on my smart tv or laptop?

Thanks 

Edited by imavillan

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

Looking forward to sitting down to the start of this shortly with a few beers. Brilliant competition 😀

You can stream it here: https://tv.7plus.com.au/the-big-bash-league-on-7

But I suspect you'll need to have a VPN connection to do so from outside Australia....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, imavillan said:

32 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Looking forward to sitting down to the start of this shortly with a few beers. Brilliant competition 😀

You can stream it here: https://tv.7plus.com.au/the-big-bash-league-on-7

But I suspect you'll need to have a VPN connection to do so from outside Australia....

Thanks.

I love watching The Big Bash.

For me, it's far better than the IPL and streets ahead of the T20 in the UK.

Love the sell out crowds and the fact there are so many families and youngsters there. It's a great spectacle.

• Like 1

Â