Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

That declaration 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

To be fair without the declaration it probably peters out to a draw, but yeah it could be the reason you lose the test.

• Like 1

He stopped doing what worked. We had a tight field that was working. He left it far too late to get the new ball in. By pushing the field back it's just played into Australia's hands. It's not a pitch to get bounce and high shots yet he suddenly set the field for Australia to slog it. He's massively shafted us here with this decision.

Edited by stewiek2

The reason the declaration was a mistake imo wasn’t just that it was so early in the test, but that the pitch / ball / conditions were looking very docile and we should have just cashed in.

The story of the test has been little spells where the bowlers look unplayable, and then lots of spells where any old donkey can stick on 30-odd runs. I don’t think we took advantage of those at the right moments, partly through decisions, mostly through luck of the draw … but the declaration was a very avoidable mistake 

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

The reason the declaration was a mistake imo wasn’t just that it was so early in the test, but that the pitch / ball / conditions were looking very docile and we should have just cashed in.

The story of the test has been little spells where the bowlers look unplayable, and then lots of spells where any old donkey can stick on 30-odd runs. I don’t think we took advantage of those at the right moments, partly through decisions, mostly through luck of the draw … but the declaration was a very avoidable mistake 

Everything has panned out pretty perfectly to be honest.

Australia needed 54 with 9 and 10 batting.  It's this bit that's gone wrong (so far).

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Everything has panned out pretty perfectly to be honest.

Australia needed 54 with 9 and 10 batting.  It's this bit that's gone wrong (so far).

Perfectly for a very exciting test with a guaranteed result, for sure. Not sure our tactics were optimal … could have been in a more comfortable position here and still gone for the win. I think… obviously impossible to know, but I reckon it was muddled thinking

You have to question the bowlers. 

5th day pitch that's had all sorts going on wet and dry. 

New ball against the tail end. Haven't really looked like getting the job done. 

Â