Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Top order is constantly shit

Yep and when Cook (and Root last test) doesn't make a score it leaves Moeen, Stokes and Bairstow to bail them out time after time.

Remember when we had Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Bell?! Runs guaranteed.

On a side note, congrats to Jonny Bairstow. Already has most runs by a wicket keeper in a calendar year. Today equalled Prior's record for catches in a calendar year by an England wicket keeper. This is his 12th match of the year, Prior took 14 to take his 54 catches.

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

The top order is a weird one for England. No matter what combination they throw out, they still seem to always falter, yet on paper the selections are good. What would people field?

Cook

?

Root

Bairstow

Duckett

Stokes

Moeen

Woakes

I think Bairstow has been in such good nick that he'd be worth promoting up to 4, looks our second best batsman at the moment anyway. Also he's often in early anyway so can play against the newer ball. Would protect Duckett from the new ball and give Root someone who he has batted with for years at 2 down.

Also gives the option of Buttler coming in for Duckett and batting below Stokes.

Unsure who should open with Cook though. Would give Haseeb a go, but don't know much about him. I wouldn't be averse to Hales or Lyth getting another shot.

On a side note about this morning... how good has Chris Woakes become this year?!

difficult to judge as they are not used to playing on wickets that turn as much as this on day one of a test match. I think Duckett is out of his depth, as is Balance. I think unless we have a good morning tomorrow we will loose this. Anything much more that 200 could be beyond us. I have been very disappointed in Rasjid. He could not ask for more helpful wickets yet he lacks the control to build any pressure. Ansari bowled better though.

yep he's bowled well, but some garbage wickets. Moeen has had a shocking match with the bat. Seems to continually test the patience, chucks in an excellent hard fought innings, the 68 at chittagong then tends to follow up with 4 or 5 piss easy gifts before another effort. Really wish he could be more consistent. 

Ballance is done, with any luck, needs to be removed as far away from this squad as possible. He's averaged 6. Get out man. 

• Like 1

Mehedi was superb for them, a class spinner. But what a contrast 100/0 before tea, 64/10 afterwards. Shocking collapse, can't tell me the pitch deteriorated that quickly, but the Tests (and ODIs) have been really compelling cricket in spite of all this, and although England worry me, you have to be pleased for Bangladesh, could mean the world for them becoming a bigger force in Test cricket. Tamim's century was outstanding. 

I agree with Snowy that Duckett should drop to 4, and play Hameed. At least both Duckett and Cook got 50's, that was beginning to concern me a bit. 

Cook, Hameed, Root, Duckett, Bairstow, Stokes, Moeen, Woakes, Broad, then two of Batty, Ansari, Rashid and Finn for India. 

Finn didn't look great at all yesterday, released lot's of pressure after we'd posted that first innings lead so, I'd probably go with Batty and Ansari. 

• Like 2

I'm actually a bit happy that England lost.  It's been a long road for Bangladesh but they have put together a decent team now that's still young, with a couple of young star seamers that didn't play in this series too.  It's not looking good for the India series though, we haven't got spinners in the class of Monty and Swann or someone like KP in the middle order.  It might be a bit embarrassing.

• 2 weeks later...

BBC reporting that Hameed does open and Duckett drops down the order. Out goes Ballance.

Teenage opener Haseeb Hameed will make his England debut in the opening Test in India starting on Wednesday.

Lancashire batsman Hameed, 19, will become only the second teenager to play Test cricket for England since 1949.

yeah I think we've solved our opener conundrum - well until Cook retires, but hopefully that should be settling the matter for a couple of years at least.  His maturity and temperament is key, and that bodes well for other conditions. He's debuting in India - ok, not as big a turning pitch as others may be but nonetheless, I'm feeling optimistic he can handle other conditions. 

I wander if, on the assumption a repeat the Bangladesh final session doesn't occur,  they'll be tempted to set up a cheeky declaration tomorrow? Highly unlikely of course but if the score quickly tomorrow, could set them 300 with 45 overs to play with. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I wander if, on the assumption a repeat the Bangladesh final session doesn't occur,  they'll be tempted to set up a cheeky declaration tomorrow? Highly unlikely of course but if the score quickly tomorrow, could set them 300 with 45 overs to play with. 

I guess they'd look at putting them in at some point to put them under pressure and take a few wickets hopefully. 300 from 45 looks about safe enough. :)

Â