Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

25 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Options:

New Sony Xperia

New Pixel

New OnePlus

Very tempted by the Sony.

I think that I'm going to wait for the Pixel 5.

24 minutes ago, limpid said:

I think that I'm going to wait for the Pixel 5.

Yeah I still like the idea of getting the Pixel. I'm in no rush to upgrade - but the new Sony phone has definitely caught my eye. Cannot decide 😄

Does the uncluttered OS of the pixel help with battery given the pixel has a relatively small capacity battery. 

10 hours ago, av1 said:

Does the uncluttered OS of the pixel help with battery given the pixel has a relatively small capacity battery. 

Which pixel?

All (official) Android battery life claims are made using standardised tests so unless you have unusual usage you can compare one to another.

Just now, limpid said:

Which pixel?

All (official) Android battery life claims are made using standardised tests so unless you have unusual usage you can compare one to another.

To be honest I'm not referring to a specific model, just than whenever I looked at the pixel phones there seems to be some criticm of battery performance. 

11 minutes ago, av1 said:

To be honest I'm not referring to a specific model, just than whenever I looked at the pixel phones there seems to be some criticm of battery performance. 

If you go looking for it, you'll find that for every phone that's ever existed 😁

Just now, limpid said:

If you go looking for it, you'll find that for every phone that's ever existed 😁

I guess. 

I won't be looking for a new handset until the end of the year so I'm definitely interested in the pixel 5. I'm hoping it has a flat screen.

I love my Huawei P30, it's pretty much everything I want in a handset, I'm gutted the ongoing US issues mean I can't stay with the brand. 

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

I guess. 

I won't be looking for a new handset until the end of the year so I'm definitely interested in the pixel 5. I'm hoping it has a flat screen.

I love my Huawei P30, it's pretty much everything I want in a handset, I'm gutted the ongoing US issues mean I can't stay with the brand. 

Now that Apple have invented wireless charging six years after everyone else, it's a lot easier to get a top up on the go. I'm a fairly heavy phone user and unless I have the screen on a lot my last few phones would typically get to 24 hours. It depends so much on what apps you use, what's happening in the background and even how bright you have the screen and how much you are in wifi range.

• Haha 1

On 30/05/2020 at 11:44, avfcDJ said:

That is a beautiful phone, but the dumbest name in the world.

It seems like a very impressive device, but I don't think I could justify anywhere near that price!

Edited by Davkaus

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

That is a beautiful phone, but the dumbest name in the world.

It seems like a very impressive device, but I don't think I could justify anywhere near that price!

I have watched a few reviews and I think it is worth it. For me it means I can film things when out and about, do some decent photos for marketing/PR reasons, and also have a close to stock Android experience.

BUT, the Pixel 5 still has me interested - till I know what it offers.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have thoughts on a best bang for your buck device at the moment?

My flagship days are over, all I use it for is Spotify, Reddit, and VT. I don't game on my phone, or care about rooting. Regular software updates would be nice. I do like the more "full screen" displays rather than the Pizel 3a's bezels, and I can't wait for the 4a. Headphone jack preferred. but not completely essential.

My last device was the Mi 9T Pro, I'd prefer something a little bit smaller than that.

Edited by Davkaus

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

My flagship days are over, all I use it for is Spotify, Reddit, and VT. I don't game on my phone, or care about rooting. Regular software updates would be nice. I do like the more "full screen" displays rather than the Pizel 3a's bezels, and I can't wait for the 4a. Headphone jack preferred. but not completely essential.

My last device was the Mi 9T Pro, I'd prefer something a little bit smaller than that.

The Sony mid-range are good, but don't get updates.  Same for the Motorolas (even the budget range are good) but updates are poor.

If updates are important to you (and they should be).. you really are restricted to Pixel or OnePlus. Obviously manufacturer updates are increasingly less important as more stuff is pushed from OS to apps.

The OnePlus 7T is £469 on their site.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Might want to wait for the OnePlus Z to come out, if indeed it does. Going back to their budget roots. On the subject of updates, my OnePlus 3 got the Android 9.0 update 3+ years after its released. If you buy a OnePlus or Google phone you're set for a good while.

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Might want to wait for the OnePlus Z to come out, if indeed it does. Going back to their budget roots. On the subject of updates, my OnePlus 3 got the Android 9.0 update 3+ years after its released. If you buy a OnePlus or Google phone you're set for a good while.

I am currently phoneless due to a bathtime related accident, so I can't wait for an unreleased phone, sadly, or I'd probably have held out for the 4a.

The 7T was on my list (thanks @limpid) I disregarded it as it was sold out, but it's still available for the same price at John Lewis.

The other contender is the Poco F2 pro which is ridiculous flagship specs for £425. My last couple of phones have been Xiami's and despite the custom skin, I've been impressed with the level of support, monthly security updates come through pretty quickly and regularly. 

Headphone jack, bigger battery, faster processor and cheaper, vs 90hz screen, more memory and manufacturer warranty. Tricky.

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to get to the top of a page on android? (S8). On iOS you tap the top of the phone screen and it whizzes back to the top of the page. What's the equivalent (if there is one) for an S8?

6 hours ago, blandy said:

Is there a way to get to the top of a page on android? (S8). On iOS you tap the top of the phone screen and it whizzes back to the top of the page. What's the equivalent (if there is one) for an S8?

In what app? That wouldn't be a phone OS thing, that's an app feature.

If you were editing a Doc or SHeet, you wouldn't want the phone scrolling away because you'd clicked the top of the screen.

12 hours ago, limpid said:

In what app? That wouldn't be a phone OS thing, that's an app feature.

If you were editing a Doc or SHeet, you wouldn't want the phone scrolling away because you'd clicked the top of the screen.

I’ll ask it a different way, then. Does anyone know of a quick way to scroll from the bottom or middle of a page back to the top, in an app, or some apps, or all apps, or most apps. I have an S8. Thank you.

• Haha 1

Â