Android: General Chat

The_Lions_Roar

Yeah i guess he does say to use a screen protector. So it depends what you're carrying in your pockets :)

If it were me I don't think I'd bother, but maybe to be safe you should look for one.

Oh and I forgot to mention that guy hates Apple, so it fits in well in this thread :D 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think phone screens these days are durable enough that they don't get scratched by keys and things.

You'll not get a scratch from keys or coins on any phone, as both of them are made from very soft metals that are unable to scratch almost any kind of glass. It's sand and other miscellaneous dirt that'll scratch the hell out of your screen, Mohs scale contains all you need to know about this.

I always use a screen protector as scratches are inevitable. Though I'm more fussy than most - it takes a massive scratch to be visible with the screen on, but those tiny ones you see with the screen off, looking at it against the light...They drive me crazy.

There's essentially a spectrum of hardness through to toughness. Making something more hard to resist scratching will make it less tough and therefore more prone to shattering, and vice versa. Corning and other glass manufacturers are trying to find the happy middle ground giving as much resistance to each as possible, but people tend to be more pissed off by easily shattering screens than easily scratched, so unless there's a major breakthrough that redefines what we know about material sciences, it's a problem we're stuck with.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping you guys can help with a bit of a bug.

When I'm in a meeting etc I want to turn my phone volume off with the down rocker. However, it goes onto vibrate mode rather than full silent/mute. I can fully mute it in the settings but I wondered if it was possible to allow it to go completely muted (silent and vibration off) with the volume rocker?

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I'm hoping you guys can help with a bit of a bug.

When I'm in a meeting etc I want to turn my phone volume off with the down rocker. However, it goes onto vibrate mode rather than full silent/mute. I can fully mute it in the settings but I wondered if it was possible to allow it to go completely muted (silent and vibration off) with the volume rocker?

Which phone / which Android version?

I have a slider on the side of my phone for normal, vibrate and mute modes.

11 minutes ago, limpid said:

Which phone / which Android version?

I have a slider on the side of my phone for normal, vibrate and mute modes.

Its a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 on Android v9.

Is this slider an app/widget?

Edited by Genie

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Its a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 on Android v9.

Is this slider an app/widget?

No, it's a physical switch - I think most of the Oneplus phones have one.

oneplus-7-pro-alert-slider-100796571-lar

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I see. I miss the switch on the iPhone as it was instant mute.

I'm sure there must be a simple way on Android to quickly mute, rather than put onto silent/vibrate.

For me it looks a bit like this when I push the "volume down button". I then have to push the "bell" on the screen, once for vibrate, once more for complete silence.

volume-buttons-android-9-0-pie-actually-

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

For me it looks a bit like this when I push the "volume down button". I then have to push the "bell" on the screen, once for vibrate, once more for complete silence.

volume-buttons-android-9-0-pie-actually-

Doesn't do that on mine. I get a horizontal volume scale with the speaker at the left. If I press the speaker it will silent/vibrate the phone (or return to volume on if in silent/vibrate setting). No actual mute/no vibrate option.

It seems like the quickest way is to open the setting by dragging from the top of the screen then tapping the speaker twice (once puts it on silent/vibrate, second puts it mute, third goes back on sound on).

Surprised there isn't a way to configure the volume down button to mute.

My last android you would use the rocker to turn the volume all the way down. When it was on zero it would go to vibrate and then you could release it and then press it again and it would totally mute it. 

Edited by Stevo985

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My last android you would use the rocker to turn the volume all the way down. When it was on zero it would go to vibrate and then you could release it and then press it again and it would totally mute it. 

That is exactly how I expected it to work, but it doesn't 😕 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Coming in to say the switcher on OnePlus phones is a godsend. I don't know why it isn't a standard in all phones.

I miss the mute switch on the iPhone, probably the only thing I miss so far. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Genie said:

I miss the mute switch on the iPhone, probably the only thing I miss so far. 

Any reason you didn't pick an Android which has one?

2 hours ago, limpid said:

Any reason you didn't pick an Android which has one?

I assumed they all had the volume down to vibrate, then one more press for silent. My old one had it, sounds like Steveo's did. I thought it was standard. 

I'll just have to use the quick settings by dragging down, then tapping the speaker twice.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

I now have a widget on the home screen. Its slightly easier than the settings drop down. Just keep pressing to toggle between sound, vibrate or full mute.

Funny thing is, when its on mute, if I press volume up it goes to vibrate, then press up again it puts the sound on. It doesn't do it in reverse though (stops at vibrate).

Oh well, first world issues, fantastic phone in general.

• 1 month later...

Anyone tempted by a Fold?

Love the idea and for future iterations I'll have my eyes on one, or at least a cheaper knock off version of it.

£2,000/£110 per month for a phone that you can easily scratch with your fingernail though? No thanks. I'd love to see the state of one after a 24 month contract term expires.

Edited by Davkaus

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Anyone tempted by a Fold?

Love the idea and for future iterations I'll have my eyes on one, or at least a cheaper knock off version of it.

Same as you - love the premise of it but will wait for a few generations first. 

I need something less delicate. I've dropped my current phone on the floor about 50 times in the last 3 years and its still in good nick

• 2 weeks later...

Not convinced by it all yet, I think two seperated screens is more practical like the new windows surface phone/tablet thing just announced. Looks far more usable but they need to bring the size down a touch as it's still too big to be used as a phone. Looks like the galaxy fold but with a thin bezel through the middle instead of a horrible looking bubbly plastic seam. 

Â