Android: General Chat

The_Lions_Roar

Treated myself to a Samsung Galaxy Note 9, hell of a step up in many ways from my iPhone 6s. This is by far the longest I've ever had a phone (over 2.5 years).

I wanted to go Apple again but the next models after the 6s either seem a step back or hideously overpriced for what they are.

Will have to retrain my brain back to Android way of thinking but watched loads of videos and can’t wait to do all the customisation I can’t do on my current 6s.

Any Note 9 owners on here got any tips?

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

Any Note 9 owners on here got any tips? 

Turn off "Bixby" before you chuck the phone through a wall

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Genie said:

First exciting challenge... how do I get my hundreds of saved website passwords out of my iPhone and into my Note 9?

(I don't own a Mac)

If you used Chrome, they will already be synced.

I think Lastpass can do this for you and keep your passwords not locked to a single provider.

10 hours ago, limpid said:

If you used Chrome, they will already be synced.

I think Lastpass can do this for you and keep your passwords not locked to a single provider.

It seemed like I had a few saved in Chrome but majority were stored in Safari. 

I did it the hard way, going from site to site adding the password and hitting save when prompted.

That's that hurdle over. Next is the passwords and usernames for apps like banking that I've long forgotten as was using the fingerprint scanner

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Early impressions are that it's just too bloody big. Might have made a mistake here 😞

THat's the one thing you could have checked before you purchased 😁

4 hours ago, limpid said:

THat's the one thing you could have checked before you purchased 😁

Haha, I actually did, twice! I've taken the bumper off it (the one that gets bundled free) and it feels a bit less of a lump so I'll see it i grows on me.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Haha, I actually did, twice! I've taken the bumper off it (the one that gets bundled free) and it feels a bit less of a lump so I'll see it i grows on me.

What phone did you come from? I like the look of the Note 9 but too tight fisted to pay for it at the moment. Currently have a 6S Plus so I don't think the footprint is much different

32 minutes ago, Xela said:

What phone did you come from? I like the look of the Note 9 but too tight fisted to pay for it at the moment. Currently have a 6S Plus so I don't think the footprint is much different

I went from 6s (not plus). As you say foot print not that much different to the 6s plus. It's an absolute beast of a phone. Without the bumper much more manageable. Screen is amazing. I've decided I'll keep it and give it a proper chance. 

I got mine from a seller on Ebay, proper shop, they must import from the far east in bulk then ship to UK from Switzerland. It was up for £436 but Ebay had a 10% off everything promo at the weekend so got it for about £390. Its dual sim too which might be handy in th future when travelling.

• Like 1

@Genie looks like the Note is pretty much the same as an XS Max

When I went to an XS Max (well an 8 plus before that but it's the same size) it felt huge! But I soon got used to it.

For me the size is great once you get used to it. You just won't be able to do too much with one hand :D

I wouldn't go back to a smaller phone now. Give it a chance, I bet you'll like the size once you're used to it.

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

@Genie looks like the Note is pretty much the same as an XS Max

When I went to an XS Max (well an 8 plus before that but it's the same size) it felt huge! But I soon got used to it.

For me the size is great once you get used to it. You just won't be able to do too much with one hand :D

I wouldn't go back to a smaller phone now. Give it a chance, I bet you'll like the size once you're used to it.

Its amazing how quickly the size difference feels normal. My work phone is a really old iPhone 5s, typing on it earlier felt ridiculous like I had giant hands!

I think its the bumper that was killing it to be honest. Without it I'm risking marking it up but it at least feels usable.

I need to watch some youtube vids to understand the features of it to get the most. I'm already loving the face recognition unlock. Not thrilled with the Samsung skin so may have a look at some other launchers

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Its amazing how quickly the size difference feels normal. My work phone is a really old iPhone 5s, typing on it earlier felt ridiculous like I had giant hands!

I think its the bumper that was killing it to be honest. Without it I'm risking marking it up but it at least feels usable.

I need to watch some youtube vids to understand the features of it to get the most...

Yeah work gave me an iPhone SE and typing anything on it is absurd. I feel like a giant! :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the note 9 now but can't get a decent screen protector.

The glass ones are bulky and because of the way the screen wraps around the edges creates a step. The ones I've tried have also been adhesive types, rather than vacuum so the screen looks crappy and washed out.

I've got a film on now which looks and feels 10x better, but the edges are starting to peel away and let dust in.

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Loving the note 9 now but can't get a decent screen protector.

The glass ones are bulky and because of the way the screen wraps around the edges creates a step. The ones I've tried have also been adhesive types, rather than vacuum so the screen looks crappy and washed out.

I've got a film on now which looks and feels 10x better, but the edges are starting to peel away and let dust in.

Genuine question, do you really need one?

The glass used for phones these days are usually pretty robust (I can't comment on the note specifically) and if anything they're probably harder than the protector.

There's a guy on YouTube called "Jerry Rig Everything" who does hardness testing on phones. I would guess he's done one for the Note 9. Might be worth a google to see if he's tested it and it might sway you either way.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Genuine question, do you really need one?

The glass used for phones these days are usually pretty robust (I can't comment on the note specifically) and if anything they're probably harder than the protector.

There's a guy on YouTube called "Jerry Rig Everything" who does hardness testing on phones. I would guess he's done one for the Note 9. Might be worth a google to see if he's tested it and it might sway you either way.

I'm not so worried about the small chance of smashing the screen. Just don't wanna get scratches all over it from when its in my pocket with the keys. I might end up taking that leap of faith because these covers are getting on my nerves.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I'm not so worried about the small chance of smashing the screen. Just don't wanna get scratches all over it from when its in my pocket with the keys. I might end up taking that leap of faith because these covers are getting on my nerves.

Yeah that's what I mean though. I think phone screens these days are durable enough that they don't get scratched by keys and things. I haven't had a screen protector on my phones for about 3 years and never got a scratch.

I wouldn't want to promise it would work because I don't know about that specific phone, but it might be worth looking into.

I'll try and find that youtube channel later and see if he's done a Note 9. He does specific scratch tests so it's a good indicator as to whether you'll get marks from keys and coins etc

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah that's what I mean though. I think phone screens these days are durable enough that they don't get scratched by keys and things. I haven't had a screen protector on my phones for about 3 years and never got a scratch.

I wouldn't want to promise it would work because I don't know about that specific phone, but it might be worth looking into.

I'll try and find that youtube channel later and see if he's done a Note 9. He does specific scratch tests so it's a good indicator as to whether you'll get marks from keys and coins etc

found it, watching it now

• Like 1

Â