Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

On 20/08/2020 at 19:39, limpid said:

In what app? That wouldn't be a phone OS thing, that's an app feature.

If you were editing a Doc or SHeet, you wouldn't want the phone scrolling away because you'd clicked the top of the screen.

In the absence of any answers, I looked on the big internet thing, and it is an OS thing. Apparently you can do some sort of shenanigans to get an android to sort of do it by downloading "edge gestures" whatever that is.

It's one of the things I miss on the S8 compared to iPhone. Apart from spreadsheets being crap on all phones, due to small screens, it doesn't affect them at all - it seems to need a double tap, so accidental wotnot doesn't happen.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

In the absence of any answers, I looked on the big internet thing, and it is an OS thing. Apparently you can do some sort of shenanigans to get an android to sort of do it by downloading "edge gestures" whatever that is.

It's one of the things I miss on the S8 compared to iPhone. Apart from spreadsheets being crap on all phones, due to small screens, it doesn't affect them at all - it seems to need a double tap, so accidental wotnot doesn't happen.

Yep, that's a thing I stumble upon when using Iphones. The difference is that Android handles scrolling differently. If you "flick" fast and multiple times you get that fast uninterrupted scrolling that kind of doesn't end. Iphones don't do that, they scroll roughly one page at a time and and the use the tap thing to move all the way.

• Thanks 1

Any advice for upgrading  from a Galaxy S9? 

Need dual sim   

Prefer a headphone jack and a cleaner Android experience

I'll probably go for S20, as  the Sony Xperia 1 II cant do dual sim and the S9 has been great. 

Edited by astondalston
typings

3 minutes ago, astondalston said:

Any advice for upgrading  from a Galaxy S9? 

Need dual sim   

Prefer a headphone jack and a cleaner Android experience

I'll probably go for S20, as  the Sony Xperia 1 II cant do dual sim and the S9 has been great. 

OnePlus.

I've got the Poco F2 Pro. I'm really happy with it. The camera isn't reviewed as highly as some of the top end, but the rest of the specs are ridiculously good, updates are frequent, and it has a headphone jack and IR blaster which I use all the time, but flagship phones always omit those now. Decent size battery too.

It's not stock Android, but with Nova as my launcher, I can rarely tell whether I'm using a Samsung, Pixel, or MIUI device, tbh. My phone desktop has looked the same for about 6 years :D 

5 hours ago, astondalston said:

Hows  Oxygen OS on these, and do you feel comfortable with their future given the article below

I have no feelings about them - I'm not buying shares. You buy a phone and then when you don't use it any more, you buy another :mrgreen:

Android is just fine on these. Increasingly, on all phones you can get everything as stock apps even if your manufacturer has installed their rubbish (Samsung in particular).

I've had the 3T, the 6 and the 7 pro. I've decided that I'm having the Pixel 5 next, assuming it will have a regular SIM and an eSIM. My work phone will shortly be changing to Google Voice at which point dual SIM won't matter.

• 1 month later...
On 30/09/2020 at 20:21, limpid said:

Ordered a Pixel 5.

My Pixel 3 battery on some days is shocking and needs an additional boost when I am back from work so I am really tempted by the Pixel 5. I am waiting on some reviews to hit to see if I should push the button or get a new battery fitted instead.

Love my Pixel 3xl. Still feels more or less new and snappy.

I wonder if the long-lasting high performance feel will be noticeable on the 5 as they went for the "mid-tier” Snapdragon 765 with less oumph? Will it cope after 2 years when android and the apps bloat accordingly?

The Snapdragon 845 in the pixel 3 scores higher on mulitcore benchmarks than the 765.

Edited by Tegis
more info

Looking forward hearing some user reviews for the Pixel 5. 

My contract is up just after Xmas and the Pixel is on the short list. I've never owned a pixel, but the flat screen, small form factor, great camera and stock android have always appealed. The only slight concern is that previous models have been criticised for battery performance, and the battery on my current handset (Huawei) is phenomenal so I'd be wary of going backwards so to speak. 

Also, I've read they've gone with a mid range chipset, as I'm not the most technical, would this even be noticeable for medium use? 

14 hours ago, av1 said:

Also, I've read they've gone with a mid range chipset, as I'm not the most technical, would this even be noticeable for medium use? 

It'll only be an issue if you are a very heavy user - like a gamer. But then you'd be buying a OnePlus.

24 minutes ago, limpid said:

It'll only be an issue if you are a very heavy user - like a gamer. But then you'd be buying a OnePlus.

Thanks. No I not a gamer. To be honest whilst I use my phone an awful lot in terms of screen time, its only really for browsing, VT, Facebook, YouTube etc.

I think I'm going to get one. I know it sounds stupid but a flat, relatively small screen is important to me, so the P5 ticks a lot of boxes. 

Â