Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

You might be surprised.

When I left O2 they basically forced it upon me!

Aye, same with me when I cancelled with Orange, seems like they are less prepared to offer you deals with high end phones nowadays. They told me they wouldn't give me any discount despite having been with them for 5+ years and said 'I guess you want your PAC then' and that was that.

Exactly what happened to me.

Told them I wanted the S3.

They said "yeah that's £99 and £41 a month"

After I'd cleaned up the coffee I'd spat all over the place I gave them a nice little teaser

"Ohh well I don't think i can afford that. I can get it cheaper on T Mobile. I don't really want to switch..."

and all I got was "I suppose you want your PAC code then?"

She even told me to try Phones 4 U to get my new phone as they're usually cheapest!

I use Swiftkey too.

Hmmmm...

This has caused me all kinds of problems, with S3 it was very minor. But the S4 it's terrible. I'm close to dumping the app. It keeps randomly killing haptic feedback and only reboot fixes it. It was rare on S3 but it's weekly at least on S4.

Does my head in as it's the app I can't live without. I need that grey keyboard.

Might remove Swiftkey for a while and see if I can get on with the stock samsung one

If I uninstall and delete swiftkey would I have to pay for it again if I wanted to reinstall it?

Edited by Stevo985

I'll do that.

Right chaps, advice needed on a phone for my mom. She's decided she wants a smartphone for her birthday.

Not really sure she needs one. She's got a bog standard mobile and a Nexus 7 but she's got her heart set on one.

Figured I'd get her an Android one for the most obvious reason being she's got a Nexus 7 so she'll be familiar with the system. Any suggestions as to a decent handset?

Ideally I'd want to buy one outright but not really looking to spend more than £150 ish.

There's no point in getting her a top end phone, so just a half decent android phone will do. Her needs are basic, just a standard casual smartphone user. Phone, games, photos/videos and a bit of internet browsing.

Obviously the Nexus 4 is under consideration but would love some other suggestions too. Was also maybe thinking of just getting her a second hand Galaxy S2 or something like that. Would probably be more than enough for her.

Get her an 8gb Nexus 4.  If she knows how to work a Nexus 7 then get her the phone with a virtually identical UI. 

Just updated SwiftKey from  the play store and it seems to be a good deal better following the update.

The Stock Sammy Keyboard is horrible.

Get her an 8gb Nexus 4.  If she knows how to work a Nexus 7 then get her the phone with a virtually identical UI. 

Yeah I was thinking that. But it is about £100 more than I wanted to spend so would be interested if there were any cheaper alternatives.

I've got a Sony Experia U which is a budget end Smartphone.  I love it.  There's just one thing that I was hoping for some techie help on though?  Just lately the battery seems to need charging EVERY night overnight.  It says that "Android OS" is using 39% of my battery and it shows a CPU usage?  What's all that - I can't see that I have left anything open - any ideas anyone.  I have found the power saver and set that to come on at certain times but I would love to know if I am, missing someting.  Other than that, great phone, love it.  Does plenty enough for my needs.

Guys, HTC desire c or galaxy mini 2? 

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/back-again-motorola-razr-159-99-incl-topups-169-99-incl-topup-bluetooth-speaker-1566870

If your still looking this is a bargain £200+ of phone 

That is a great bargain, great phone too, about £50 more than I was looking at though and I'd already plumped for something else by the time you had posted. Great deal though, anyone else looking at that should go for it!

S3 back from the repair shop ...new motherboard

girl in the shop says quite a few with the same problem lately but yet its still not a problem for Samsung to recognize officially 

anyway glad to have it back great phone bar the freezing etc 

Zte blade goes back into the press still a decent phone (rooted ginger stirfry)

Was the phone just freezing, refusing to do anything (with small tasks, such as texting, typing, internet) and had to have a reboot?

Mine was doing that, I uninstalled Battery Widget Reborn, used an app called 'Dummy File Generator' and have had nothing since (fingers crossed).

I've got a Sony Experia U which is a budget end Smartphone. I love it. There's just one thing that I was hoping for some techie help on though? Just lately the battery seems to need charging EVERY night overnight. It says that "Android OS" is using 39% of my battery and it shows a CPU usage? What's all that - I can't see that I have left anything open - any ideas anyone. I have found the power saver and set that to come on at certain times but I would love to know if I am, missing someting. Other than that, great phone, love it. Does plenty enough for my needs.

It's a smartphone, you will have to charge it every night I'm afraid. You're lucky enough that it's lasting all day.

I guess it depends on your usage, but I likely go through 150% a day give it take. That's on an iphone5 which is most certainly not a budget phone. It's a crap phone, but it isn't cheap!

I can't really answer your usage question regarding the OS (operating system, like windows etc) and whether that's a normal healthy amount, only that it sounds right in my head. The OS on any machine is a battery hog, just try leaving a laptop running idle and see how long it lasts. Not very.

Â