Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Had my Desire HD for over 2 years, and it's still going pretty strong. Running Android 4.1.2 (too lazy to upgrade to 4.2). After seeing the lackluster GS4, I think I'll stick with it for a while yet and maybe see what Android 5.0 and the new Nexus have in store. I'm also gonna stick with it because it's an $800 investment (which sounds silly now but 2.5 years ago smartphones didn't come cheap.

Some screens:

7XEfiks.png dmn78P0.png

tdejkOy.png loUEAu8.png

luzoTWu.png

A day of light useage today, furthest I went from the house was ASDA about a mile away and only 45 mins of screen on time (half of that was the daughter playing Tiny Tower) a couple of calls lasting no longer than five minutes and three or four texts. I could actually not bother charging it overnight tonight just to see how it lasts tomorrow.  But **** that, it's getting plugged in in a moment.   Impressed by the battery life of the Nexus 4 if I am not on the road all day though. Travel is still the biggest battery killer for me.  

I'm still really confused as to how the app ratings on the Play Store work.

I downloaded another game yesterday and it's absolute garbage. But it's got 4 and a half stars from thousands of ratings on Play Store.

At least on the iOS app store, stuff that was shit was rated as shit so you didn't waste your time.

The Play store ratings are next to useless. I'm sure Dev's just spam the **** out of it to get the ratings up and I **** hate games where I have to pay actual money stuff in game to progress. **** Off.

The Play store ratings are next to useless. I'm sure Dev's just spam the **** out of it to get the ratings up and I **** hate games where I have to pay actual money stuff in game to progress. **** Off.

So how do you think the apps should be monetised? (Serious question)

I think Eames' problem (and I have a problem with it too) are those apps, usually games, where they're on the PLay Store (or whichever store) for free (or 69p or something).

But to actually complete the game or progress through the game, you have to pay more in game to unlock levels or items or whatever.

It's ok when those things are purely extras, but when they're essential to the game, it seems underhanded. It's almost like false advertising, saying a game is 69p whereas actually you need to spend a fiver to complete it.

It's all technically above board, obviously. But it's a bit annoying.

So how do you think the apps should be monetised? (Serious question)

Pay for the game upfront. All the content within it is then free - a fixed price and I know exactly before purchase how much its going to cost.

Don't give me a free game and then expect me to plough ££s into it to by stuff on several occasions.

I see what you mean, but really this is the same model as "try 20 levels free and then buy the full game to get the rest". Isn't it?

Not really. In the old days shareware was labelled as such you knew you were only getting half the product or less. This is selling something as completed that required continued spending. If that's what you were sold, fine. But so often not the case.

I see what you mean, but really this is the same model as "try 20 levels free and then buy the full game to get the rest". Isn't it?

Not really. In the old days shareware was labelled as such you knew you were only getting half the product or less. This is selling something as completed that required continued spending. If that's what you were sold, fine. But so often not the case.

I can see that if they hide this fact it would be annoying. Make sure you mark them down for it in the store.

Hi all, long time no chat. Hope everyone is well. 

Horse racing season like and was at Cheltenham last week. On the wind down now so racing forum goes on back burner and Villa talk on the front burner, is that a phrase?

Anyway. I've a rant or two to make shortly. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Right, to the rants.  :D

HTC first. I hate them, utterly hate them for making a phone I think is jaw droppingly stunning and AGAIN failing on the batterylife. Why can they not **** sort it out. 

Samsung, please just find a way to have a removable back but with better materials than flimsy plastic. I get what they are doing, same design that focusses on use rather than aesthetics but please, I have a Series 9 laptop and it's to die for in looks. Bloody make phone that looks like that. 

But it comes down to it, as much as I would just love to get the HTC One, I've become set in my ways. Which are this, I just want good battery and a big lovely screen. Nothing else. Samsung really stunned me with the update to the S3, The batterylife is biblical, I never ever run out before the end of the day, even Friday nights it's still going. To be honest I'd be perfectly happy with the S3 for another year. 

But because I won an outrageous amount of money on Hurricane Fly (my old avatar) I'll be upgrading. Great battery, big screen & good looks is what I want. So in that respect the S4 wins 2-1 on my list of 3 wants. 

But why can't a phone do all 3? If HTC just sort the battery out please ffs. PLEASE. 

rant over  :rolleyes:

Â