Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

First OTA Galaxy S3 is out, they will be rolling out the OTA next week. I assume it'll take ages for me to get it because I plain dont trust O2 despite me owning an unbranded and unlocked phone. Maybe I'll use dreaded Kies. I'm trying to say odin free with this phone.

Samsung might reclaim the crown of best screen with the S4 next year? This won't just make it into the note 3, surely.

Samsung has been using its HD SuperAMOLED Display technology in their high-end devices (except the Samsung Galaxy S II) until the newly announced Samsung Galaxy Note II. The Samsung Galaxy Note, Samsung Galaxy Nexus and the Samsung Galaxy S III implement their HD Super AMOLED with a PenTile RGBG-matrix (2 subpixels/pexel), while the Galaxy Note II uses an RBG matrix (3 subpixels/pixels) but not in the standard 3 stripe arrangement.

This new ClorOLED technology is going to use an RGB Matrix with 16 subpixels. The Super AMOLED Plus in the Galaxy S II is listed by Samsung as having 12 subpixels in ads, so we’d have a third more here. PhoneArena’s source reports that the pixel density will be of 358ppi in a 5.8″ unit.

With the new Samsung Galaxy Note II, Samsung showed us that it’s not afraid to experiment with their subpixel numbers and it’s Matrix arrangement. The 5.8″ ClorOLED Display unit might be in the upcoming Galaxy Note III.

The new ClorOLED technology is said to be shipped in June 2013.

Link

My mother got a Galaxy S3, I didn't even know she was thinking of getting a smartphone. I must set up the most simplistic way she can use it. All the stuff she needs on the home screen. Urgh, mothers shouldn't get smartphones. I'm sorry.

Saw a galaxy note again today, I know we discussed this before a few months back but I think they really serve a purpose. They're just handheld computers, for those who want the internet in their hand more than they want a phone. I'd love to see the Note 2 when it's in stores.

Because you couldn't do single handed texting like you can with the S3, I don't think it could be a replacement for a phone. But I'd love to be able to try one out for a week. Thinking of how many weekdays I spend without ever making or receiving a call on my phone. Web, gchat and text. That's it. They are very intriguing devices I must say that.

Jelly bean for the S3 rolling out to international phones in Germany. I'll check mine when I'm home. But via kies.

Also does anyone know if the next nexus will have another update to Android? Like 4.2? It's been an annual update until this year.

What are you asking? If there will be another version of Android? If the new Nexus phone will be launched with it? If the Galaxy Nexus will get the update?

There will be a new version of Android. It is called Key Lime Pie but there has been no release date for it yet. Probably in 2013 though.

If you take 2.0 as being the point where Android went mass market then Android has been getting a significant update every 9 months or so. October 2009, May 2010, December 2010, October 2011 & July 2012 (I'm not including Honeycomb as it was a completely separate thing) so the perception that it has been on an annual update cycle is untrue. It would make sense to launch the new version of Android with new hardware from a commercial point of view and that might be the new Nexus handset(s) but trying to predict things like this based on past performance is futile as you dont really have that much to work with.

What will get updated to the new version?

The Nexus one launched with 2.1 (Eclair) and got updates to 2.2 (Froyo) and 2.3 (Gingerbread)

The Nexus S launched with 2.3 (Gingerbread) and got updates to 4.0 (ICS) and 4.1 (Jelly Bean)

It definitely fits the pattern than the Galaxy Nexus will get Key Lime Pie. Of all the phones you can buy today I think it is the only one which is almost guaranteed to get it.

Pretty much the perfect answer Rev. Thanks.

I forgot the original nexus didn't launch with 2.2 I was thinking each of last 3 updates were launched with one of the nexus phones.

So maybe the next Nexus phone won't be this year? Could be early next year? They let the software update cycle dictate their hardware releases.

That's cool with me if it's early next year for new nexus. At the moment I'm bidding on Galaxy Notes on ebay, looking to pick one up for around 250, which I think I will if I'm patient. Few gone for 260.

I've been encouraged by the rom support on xda, AOSP, CM10 etc.. All stable JB on it. Also with the recycle price currently 225 I can get a few months playing round with it with minimal cost.

I was thinking about that limpid. But worried about return policies. Also I may want to keep it for awhile, till I buy the new nexus which I'll probably do in the new year. So buying a 2nd had note and keeping it till then is cool with me. I'd be happy getting 200 for it then.

I've promised my S3 to my mate when I get my Lumia 920. But the fear of losing Gmail is enough to want still have a Google phone around.

Mykey I'm not so much interested in the Spen apps as I am in a big screen Internet device for weekdays. I'll try out the Spen for sure, but also would like to get back into roms. I've been on stock Touchwiz for S2 and S3. Only original S did I use custom roms.

Ingram on Nexus 7, get the nexus camera app, as there is none installed. Also dead trigger is a free game that really lets you enjoy the size of the nexus and the tegra3 power inside. A few hours of fun there at least.

I use the swiftkey tablet keyboard too. But it's just ok compared to the smartphone version.

Calling Ingram85

First post from my new Nexus 7!!!!!

Cheers for the advice guys, its a fabulous piece of kit. Any recommendations on apps, games, tips and tricks etc....

How do you switch to landscape when in chrome?

Pull down the notification bar and press the rotation looking icon.

Â