Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Yes I notice that too, the marking all VT as read. Is it something that will be fixed? Would that be an easy fix in 4.1? It doesn't really bother me as it's a rare enough event. But it feels a little silly that such a powerful phone would have something like that.

Also, on the play store site, my S3 is there as Galaxy S3 O2. I bought my handset unlocked, I've a prepay O2 sim in it, but yet it associates my phone with the network? Will that O2 association go when I put my giff gaff sim in? I don't like my unlocked handset to be "associated" with any network. I fear it may hinder updates.

I suspect the old code on VT is doing something odd with its cookies. That won't be fixed until I can spend some time sorting things out. It happens on my Nexus 7 too, so I don't think it'll be fixed in the OS :-(

Also, on the play store site, my S3 is there as Galaxy S3 O2. I bought my handset unlocked, I've a prepay O2 sim in it, but yet it associates my phone with the network? Will that O2 association go when I put my giff gaff sim in? I don't like my unlocked handset to be "associated" with any network. I fear it may hinder updates.

I can't see that, where on the site is it?

My S2 had an update of some sort get pushed through the other day. It isn't Jellybean of course but it looks like Samsung has been tinkering, everything looks a bit different and seems to run just a little smoother.

As ever, however, updating it wasn't the first time success story it should be. Failed on me twice. OTA.

When I go to install an app it gives me a list of devices and has O2 Samsung GTI9300, it's not an O2 device, it's my device.

Also as Chindie said there was a recent update pushed out, I got one last night but initially I couldn't download it as I had airplane mode on but wifi enabled, it said unable to find network?!?

Why is it caring about network, I own my phone and want Samsung to update it. O2 should have nothing to do with my phone.

Amazon. I've got giffgaff sim in and apn settings being saved now. I'll check to see if it still says O2.

Still says O2. I'll give it a couple of days and hope it changes otherwise I'll contact O2, who of course won't have the slightest clue what I'm talking about.

O2 the **** c**ts have branded my phone. I went into apn settings and can't delete O2 from the apn settings. I then picked reset to default and it wiped out my giffgaff apn settings. Mother ****. This is a **** disgrace, how dare O2 brand my phone????!!!!

I'm absolutly seething at this. How the **** have O2 blocked me from deleting the apn settings from my phone? When I reset to default it pops up with **** O2 Sim Services!!! They cannot be allowed to do this!! they have no right to brand a phone they do not own and have not sold to me.

Seems I'll need to root to get rid of O2 to keep my giffgaff and Irish sim apn settings from being wiped when I switch sim cards.

Seriously, could it be possible to hate phone networks more?

On a side note,

"Apple hit a market capitalization of over $620 billion this morning, breaking the record of $618.9 billion set by Microsoft back in 1999."

What's missing there is (adjusted for inflation MS figure would be $850bln) Soz Apple. :lol:

I just laughed at the the verge getting 400 comments on the story so fast. Everyone was back and forth about profits on different parts of both companies, etc.. Yet nobody mentioned the adjusted for inflation figure. I thought it was funny, given people making other far fetched arguments to sound smart.

A quick question. Is there a manufacturer you definitely do not want to make the next Nexus.

I ask as I have several people on different forums preying for a Sony Nexus and I would be concerned if they were chosen

Hmm, I liked Sony Ericsson phones back when. But that Xperia X10 was horrendous. My mate loves his Arc though and I have to admit it's a gorgeous phone. So maybe if Google was going to produce a good looking phone that Sony should be a good choice, especially now when hardware is peaking and Samsung lack their distinct edge they had with the S2.

Also by giving Sony some time Google will continue to build relationships, Samsung, HTC and Motorola are Android now, almost all their phone revenue is from Android. Sony need a share of the spoils now.

I suppose I see this from a different view though as I'm not intending to buy the next Nexus unless Nokia and WP are totally unusable and I need a return to Android. So with people happy with the current nexus you'd probably be happy with a S3 modified running stock.

Conor, are you sure your handset has been changed by o2? I've asked someone who knows more than me and they say that to change what you describe would require flashing the device.

The handset will recognise the giffgaff SIM as an o2 MVNO SIM and is presenting the APNs for o2 (and tesco?) by default. It's not a branding. giff gaff isn't big enough yet to be recognised by handset manufacturers, so they offer the matching network operator and any MVNOs they do know about.

So essentially because giffgaff is on O2 network it keeps showing O2 APN settings ad tesco on my phone? Because it's piggy backing the same network? Still I don't like how it auto deletes my saved APN settings when I switch sim cards. There is no reason for that.

I can't say I've noticed the deleting of APNs, but I don't have another SIM to try this on mine at the moment. When I first booted mine with my giffgaff SIM, it offered the o2 and tesco APNs.

Well when I got a new microsim from O2 as my manually cut down sim I'd left in Dublin by accident. That's when the APN problems happened.

First when I was back in Dublin last weekend I switched sims and my 3G wouldn't work. I used free wifi in the bar I was in to get APN settings and manually enter them.

Then when I got my giffgaff I entered manually the very long APN settings. Used giffgaff but then switched back to O2 as I haven't had my number switched over yet. When I do so it again deletes other APN settings and its permanent ones are the only ones there.

Very irritating as is calling my phone O2 on the play store. How has Google branded my unlocked phone as that? This is operator meddling which is very irritating.

Â