Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

50 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Its a stupid good value phone right now. It's £238 here without any extra deals. It's basically the Pixel 6 with the pixel 5 camera, 60hz display and a little less RAM.

Yep, still had 6gb which is plenty. She won’t use wireless charging or face ID so they are no loss at all. 

It looks like the offer is still on if anyone is interested. 

Google Deal Link

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Am tempted to have the fold 4 as my next phone. 

Any VTers have experience of this handset or the fold 3 ?

Pixel folding device is expected Q1/2.

My friend has the Flip4. I don't know anyone with a Fold

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2022 at 11:34, Genie said:

Yep, still had 6gb which is plenty. She won’t use wireless charging or face ID so they are no loss at all. 

It looks like the offer is still on if anyone is interested. 

Google Deal Link

Just had confirmation that my trade in has been approved. Very old iPhone 6s with a street value of about £30 will get me a rebate of £138. 

Total outlay for the Pixel 6a £161 (before Quidco cashback of about £12).

• Like 3

Has anyone ever used Smart Switch? 

I'm trying to use it to copy over from my old to my new phone but it doesn't appear able to connect via WiFi as the phones won't find each other. 

Using cable isn't an option as the port on my old one is extremely temperamental. 

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Has anyone ever used Smart Switch? 

I'm trying to use it to copy over from my old to my new phone but it doesn't appear able to connect via WiFi as the phones won't find each other. 

Using cable isn't an option as the port on my old one is extremely temperamental. 

I've only ever seen it recommend to use a cable. I suggest that you don't use the proprietary Samsung crap though, it simply isn't needed and is likely to leave you unnecessarily dependant on some Samsung feature in the future.

What are you moving from? And what is it that you don't already have backed up in cloud services?

11 hours ago, limpid said:

I've only ever seen it recommend to use a cable. I suggest that you don't use the proprietary Samsung crap though, it simply isn't needed and is likely to leave you unnecessarily dependant on some Samsung feature in the future.

What are you moving from? And what is it that you don't already have backed up in cloud services?

Anything important is backed up in the cloud, the phone was pushing Smart Switch at me and I was hoping it was a easy way to transfer everything across without manually downloading things and logging back in. 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Anything important is backed up in the cloud, the phone was pushing Smart Switch at me and I was hoping it was a easy way to transfer everything across without manually downloading things and logging back in. 

This is why I never recommend Samsung devices. 

The standard Android method uses wifi:

Switch to a new Android device
You can move your data to a new Android device from another kind of device, or start afresh with your new Android device.

Important:

• Some of these steps work only on Android 10 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
  • Some of these steps require you to tap the screen.
  • Call captioning only works on Pixel phones.

Before you start

• Charge both devices.
  • Make sure that you can unlock the old device with a PIN, pattern or password.
  • On your old device:
  • Sign in with your Google Account. 
  • To check whether you have a Google Account, enter your email address. 
  • If you don't have a Google Account, create a Google Account.
  • Back up your data. Learn how to back up your data.
  • Check that you have a Wi-Fi connection.

• Thanks 1

I've transferred everything across and the new phone seems great.

Apart from a weird quirk with VT. The keyboard interface is now very sensitive (not for other sites) and when I quote someone it constantly jumps back to their quote stopping me from typing. I have a work around but very annoying. 

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I've transferred everything across and the new phone seems great.

Apart from a weird quirk with VT. The keyboard interface is now very sensitive (not for other sites) and when I quote someone it constantly jumps back to their quote stopping me from typing. I have a work around but very annoying. 

Known fault with certain browsers on Samsung devices. There is a thread in the "Site Issues" forum.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Known fault with certain browsers on Samsung devices. There is a thread in the "Site Issues" forum.

Have tried using Chrome and appears to have fixed it.

Will msg that in the other thread too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a question about copying data from one android phone to my new one.....is there an app that copies to the new phone but also leaves original apps etc still on the old phone ? 

There are a couple of apps I need to keep on my old device that are used for my work and their IT systems throw a wobbler if those apps are moved to a new phone, creating a ball ache of a procedure just to keep those nerds happy regarding security 

Edited by mottaloo

Can't you configure the new one from the Google back up?  That's what I did in a similar situation, though you still have to sign in to various stuff all over again, and Google back ups get deleted by Google quite quickly, unfortunately, unlike the alternative fruit named OS.

Tbh I'm not great at techy stuff and I'm more plug and play with fingers crossed that it works.

I'm probably overthinking this but will bite the bullet with our IT staff if it goes wrong 

42 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Just a question about copying data from one android phone to my new one.....is there an app that copies to the new phone but also leaves original apps etc still on the old phone ? 

There are a couple of apps I need to keep on my old device that are used for my work and their IT systems throw a wobbler if those apps are moved to a new phone, creating a ball ache of a procedure just to keep those nerds happy regarding security 

I'm not aware of any "changing device" method which removes apps from the original device.

When I get a new device, I login, it starts recovering automatically from my Google account and the old device isn't involved or changed at all.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

The last few days whenever I see a post on here (using chrome) containing a twitter link it crashes my phone.

Never used to be a problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'd recommend the "Site Issues" forum and clearing your cookies and cache. :mrgreen:

• 2 months later...

Has anyone here found a workaround which solves the current problem of the Maps not automatically switching between day and night display?  Looking on Google couldn't find one that works but there's lots of knowledgeable chaps in here so I've got my fingers crossed!  I've checked all the settings, car controls the display, and it's set to automatically change the display, it just doesn't do it!

4 hours ago, dubbs said:

Has anyone here found a workaround which solves the current problem of the Maps not automatically switching between day and night display?  Looking on Google couldn't find one that works but there's lots of knowledgeable chaps in here so I've got my fingers crossed!  I've checked all the settings, car controls the display, and it's set to automatically change the display, it just doesn't do it!

Isn't this just using the ambient light sensor? It goes dark in tunnels during the day.

Do you have a case and is it obstructing the sensor (it's probably near the front facing camera).

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Isn't this just using the ambient light sensor? It goes dark in tunnels during the day.

Do you have a case and is it obstructing the sensor (it's probably near the front facing camera).

Don't think it is tbf.  There's nothing obstructing it as the headlights come on in tunnels. 

It is supposed to work based on whether the headlights are on or off.  I tried setting it up based on the phone settings going from day to night at sunset but it always stays on night (dark).

It does appear to be a known issue ,and has been for a while but they are taking their time solving it!

Â