Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

My M8 is rooted and ROM'd. Beautiful phone. The camera software is awesome, i'm really enjoying playing around with all the effects. Strongly recommend.  The only thing I wish it had is the fingerprint scanner as I do think thats a good feature. But other than that, it's **** awesome!

Voided your warranty already then? Was the original software so bad you needed a custom ROM already?

Warranty isn't voided if there's a hardware issue. If there's a software issue with it I'll be able to fix that myself. :)

But yes, the phone was cluttered with "three" apps, and now it's configured to how I want it with no additional bloatware. 

And to people like trading standards, it's not an unreasonable request of HTC for you to not modify the original (non-modifiable) software.

Citation needed.

And to people like trading standards, it's not an unreasonable request of HTC for you to not modify the original (non-modifiable) software.

Citation needed.

None available. It's from my own personal experience with other areas where they tend to side with the retailer or manufacturer even in the face of laws saying otherwise. It's like they consider the Sales of Goods act a bit archaic and will just mediate to what they think is reasonable and fair to both parties.

I didn't realise everything posted had to be a verifiable fact. I'll try and find some sources for why I think we'll win tomorrow.

After reading the comments in this thread about the M8 and the review on techradar I am seriously thinking of getting it instead of the N5.  I am due an upgrade on the 30th April and my original plan was to sell my S3 and buy the N5 outright but now I am very tempted to just upgrade to the M8.  Is the camera of a similar standard to the S3?  That will do me if so.

I just got one one today and have had a play with the camera, and honestly, I don't know what the fuss is about.

The pictures look fine on the phone's screen, which isn't exactly small. And coming from an s3 myself, I really don't think you'll notice too much of a difference.

EDIT: just like to add the rest of the phone is just as good as near every review says. build quality just blows the s3 out the water

Edited by jjaacckk91

Citation needed.

None available. It's from my own personal experience with other areas where they tend to side with the retailer or manufacturer even in the face of laws saying otherwise. It's like they consider the Sales of Goods act a bit archaic and will just mediate to what they think is reasonable and fair to both parties.

I didn't realise everything posted had to be a verifiable fact. I'll try and find some sources for why I think we'll win tomorrow.

Trading Standards can say what the hell they like. I don't think a judge in the smalls claim court will agree with the fact that a software change would cause a hardware failure. Especially when you roll back the software change and the fault is still apparent.

It's scare tactics by the handset manufacturers. You might have to fight for your legal rights, but you shouldn't abandon them because of the ridiculous and unenforcable terms and conditions of big business.

• Like 1

Citation needed.

Trading Standards can say what the hell they like. I don't think a judge in the smalls claim court will agree with the fact that a software change would cause a hardware failure. Especially when you roll back the software change and the fault is still apparent.

It's scare tactics by the handset manufacturers. You might have to fight for your legal rights, but you shouldn't abandon them because of the ridiculous and unenforcable terms and conditions of big business.

As I've said quite a few times in this thread, yes, ultimately, this is correct. But it has to go that far. I've known many people pay for repairs from Samsung because their repair centres refuse to repair it as it's been 'rooted' (their incorrect term for an unofficial ROM flash). I've desperately pleaded with these people to fight it but they just didn't want the trouble. I can't say with any certainty what trading standards or whatever they're called these days would say, but my experience with them when rejecting cars is they'll see it from the middle viewpoint rather than the law or the consumer's side. They are unenforceable from a legal perspective, but multinational companies such as htc and Samsung get away with enforcing them pretty well and when people accept it it becomes de facto.

I've never actually had to use it. In my own cases the 3rd party has backed down before going that far, and with people I know, they've given up before taking it that far even after I've drafted a letter for them.

• Like 1

Thinking of getting the GF a tablet for her birthday. Budget is around £100, and for that price it looks like my best options are a first gen nexus 7 or the ASUS MeMO HD7. Any advice on which one I should go for?

It's kind of important to describe what it's going to be used for.

Â