The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

It was the only way for the match to play out that made any sense really. 

It's also G1 season at the moment, and Zack Sabre Jr has started with two wins versus Naito and current world champ Shingo. Shingo is referred to as 'The Dragon' in NJPW, so after the match ZSJ called out the American Dragon, having dealt with the Japanese Dragon. 

Please don't give me hope, Zack. 

I do occasionally ponder if it must be conflicting to be a Fulham fan who's into wrestling.  Especially after the game we did them in and Khan publicly undermined Scott Parker.

"Joe Bryan has go-away heat with me, brother".

6 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

ZSJ's Youthmovies-fandom and propensity for naming his moves after amazing bands/albums are somewhat responsible for me dipping a toe in the wrestling world beyond WWE some years back.

A move he's using a lot at the moment is called Yes! I am a long way from home! 😁

And he only went and beat Ibushi today. It's a shame that G1 booking generally stipulates a hot start means you're not making the finals (see Moxley last year)...unless you go undefeated.

He couldn't, could he...? 

I've been pretty sour on NJPW this year, the unwillingness to move on from Evil's horrific antics has been close to unforgiveable to me, and I say that as someone who was a big mark for him before he joined Bullet Club. Mainly though, it's down to the terrible luck they've had with injuries and the impact of covid. 

I shouldn't be surprised, but this G1 had changed all that. I'm even invested in the Yujiro matches for goodness sake. 

And the Dark Side of the Ring episode on Kanyon was good, Taker didn't come out of it looking too bad, but Cena, christ. There's toeing the company line, and there's that

Onita and FMW next week! I oft wonder if they'd ever try and get him over for AEW, the similarities between him and Moxley are obvious, but I think Onita's notorious unreliability will probably put pay to any chance of it happening. 

When he was due to have his singles match with Tremont in CZW, he agreed to it, went over to the US for the first time in years, and said the morning before the event (or was it the day of?!) oh I can't work a singles match, it's going to be a 6 man tag instead. You kinda can't say no in that situation I guess. If memory serves, he was in the ring for about 5 minutes. Good spectacle though. And he did get Tremont over to Japan. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, omariqy said:

Where can I watch Dark side of the ring?

Depending on your TV provided, you may have the Vice channel - but, as it happens, most episodes get uploaded to Youtube and aren't pulled with any regularity, so you should be able to see the new episodes there. The last two are both up currently, so give them a watch before they do disappear.

14 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Jeez what an ending at extreme rules…

It was creative, I'll give them that. 

WWE Network was the worst thing that happened to WWE PPVs because WWE are no longer held accountable. When PPVs were $50 they couldn't pull bullshit like this, but at $4.99 with Peacock (£9.99 for UK) they can do whatever they like.

Nothing in WWE matters anymore, nothing has any importance. Everything WWE does is all about creating a special moment, but not organically, it's all so contrived.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Daweii said:

It was creative, I'll give them that. 

WWE Network was the worst thing that happened to WWE PPVs because WWE are no longer held accountable. When PPVs were $50 they couldn't pull bullshit like this, but at $4.99 with Peacock (£9.99 for UK) they can do whatever they like.

Nothing in WWE matters anymore, nothing has any importance. Everything WWE does is all about creating a special moment, but not organically, it's all so contrived.

Agreed. "PPV's" are glorified versions of Raw now. Nothing major needs to happen as it's not a one off purchase anymore. 

9 hours ago, omariqy said:

What is peacock and how does it work with the official app?

Peacock is another TV / sports streaming services in the US. Incidentally with a UK>USA VPN in the last lockdown (when they didn't show every game on UKTV) every premier league game was available for around £11 per month.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, omariqy said:

What is peacock and how does it work with the official app?

Peacock is a streaming app run by NBC Universal. WWE recently cut a deal to put WWE Network on Peacock which shut down the WWE Network app in the US. 

From what I have heard WWE Network on Peacock is massively inferior to the version that was shut down (the version that the UK still gets). A lot of the content is missing, and from what I hear they play ads during PPV's for those on the $4.99 tier of Peacock. 

The unfortunate thing is Peacock is heading to the UK and Europe. So if the same deal extends to us then the WWE Network app will be shut down and we'll only be able to watch via the Peacock app. 

Takeda doing both GCW shows over the weekend of 12/13th November, with the latter being the NGI 6. **** yes. Best DM guy on the planet. 

Moxley / Gage is next weekend, with Suzuki's opponents being Homicide and then Janela on the two shows over the two days. AKIRA also makes his long overdue GCW debut then too, probably the hottest North American DM guy at the moment. 

Gage / Suzuki is happening on 23rd October, tho. The night before Suzuki is on the bill for the Bloodsport show. 

I love this company, really knows how to please it's fan base, as much as I love the death matches of ICW NHB, it is very one dimensional, which isn't a complaint you could make of GCW. 

I can't get my head around why the AEW crowd have turned on Cody?  The guy was instrumental in getting the company up and running.

I've tried googling it and I can't find a proper answer as to the reason.

• 3 weeks later...

The Finals of the G1 produced one of the major shocks of the year in NJPW - the actual in ring return of 'The Wrestler' Katsuyori Shibata. Well, kinda. 

He'd done an angle with KENTA when he returned, but this was a 5 minute grappling exhibition with ZSJ. Kind of like old IWF rules, an MMA / ProResu hybrid. 

The G1 final itself was won by Okada in less than ideal circumstances. Ibushi had a really nasty landing from a Phoenix Splash and dislocated his shoulder, it was very clear very quickly that it was serious injury, and he'll be on the shelf...again...for a few months. 

The company just can't catch a break, with injuries, covid issues, and gaijin stars not being in the country for months. 

Something interesting that has come out of Okada winning the G1, though, is that he has requested that rather than a contract to challenge the world champ (kind of like the money in the bank, although generally they are formally challenged once for it before Wrestle Kingdom, and only use it to have an actual match at WK), he wants to have the V4 IWGP World Heavyweight title. 

That's kind of the 'classic' belt, much lauded by fans as the best looking, and possibly the single most prestigious belt, in the world. Given Okada's history with it, you could even argue it's 'his'. 

Ospreay was the first V5 World champion, and he's currently in the US wrestling on NJPW Strong saying he is the true champion. He had to rescind the title due to injury earlier in the year, with Shingo winning the vacant title which has come to be known as V5.2.

Kinda confusing...but with the way NJPW do WK over two nights, it's likely we'll see either Okada v Shingo and then the winner v Ospreay, or vice versa...which are matches few companies anywhere in the world can hope to out do. 

• 4 weeks later...

Good, if not great, PPV from AEW. 

Started great, lulled in the middle, finished well. 

I won't spoiler the following, as it's not a match result - but the Ishii on Dynamite this week announcement made me very happy! For non NJPW fans, the Heavyweight tournament is now over, and it's the the Junior Heavyweights turn now - which means a bunch of heavyweights are in the US for NJPW Strong (their American side of the promotion), meaning they could turn up in AEW. Including Okada, but I don't think the time is quite right... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Started great, lulled in the middle, finished well. 

Pretty much same take for me, I'd have Darby/MJF shading match of the night, they were terrific.  Couple of the matches felt overly long and I've no interest in the American Top Team angle.

Loved this...

40 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Loved this...

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, the time when he comes to AEW and turns Kenny face will be very very exciting. I think their reunion storyline is one of my favourite ever, New Japan did it perfectly.

There were echoes of Styles v Ibushi from Invasion Attack 2015 in the main event when 

Spoiler

the Bucks came out, although it was a lot less subtle, given that Omega in the above match was in the position of the Bucks, and Hangman was Ibushi...the will they won't they vibe, and although I prefer NJPWs take on that dynamic (knowing how it all folded over the next 4 years!), it was a nice moment all the same when they did appear, and one has to wonder where Omega goes from here. 

Edited by hogso

Â