Red Dead Redemption

PompeyVillan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've finished the game, well 98% complete the only thing i havent got is the sharpshooter 10 rating. Cant disarm 6 people in one go.

But theres this little thing that sticks in my mind about a ghost stranger which the game never explains who he is or why he "haunted" you. Am I supposed to encounter him again at some point, or something just to explain what he was all about.

Enjoyed the game, but like I've said before it wasnt enough of a challenge (apart from killing cougars and bears with knife / dynamite). Found it far too easy with no option to change difficulty level apart from changing to manual targetting.

Some of the side missions were really annoying like picking herbs.

Who that "ghost" was is pretty much left up to you. He was right though. It was a good spot. :)

I have to say that the dialogue and characters are absolutely brilliant. It's amazing how much R* manages to convey in their scenes, not just with words, but facial expressions and body language. The base game is obviously brilliant, but the value for money in this piece of DLC is just astounding.

You can cheese the disarm thing you know.

You need to disarm 6 people without reloading. Hole up in the saloon in Thieves Landing, use the rife with lots of ammo and blast away. You wont get the law after you and there are plenty of people who want a gun fight. Dead Eye refills your ammo but it doesnt count as a reload, so just take some consumables which refill your Dead Eye if you need it.

Thanks for the tip Rev, I did try this but found that everyone runs out of the saloonwhen I draw, managed to diaarm a few of them before they run out. When I let go of the target button it seems to automatically reload.

Another method I've tried is going to the mine I'm sure i disarmed at least 6 people but didn't get the achievement, so I'm starting to think whether they have to be disarmed one after the other. I even tried it with the revolver which holds 15 ammo but shooting off all bullets but 15 before entering the mine.

Also tried going into the gang hideout dressed as one of them but there's never 6 together, they keep wandering off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been playing Undead Nightmare the last couple of days.

Disappointing. I'm not the greatest fan of anything zombie (Shaun of the Dead aside) but I thought my love of RDR would shine through with this. Sadly not. It seems only to have made RDR more annoying and if ever there was a game that didn't need making more annoying, it's RDR - a game that just about managed the balancing act of being fun with occasional trying elements.

The wandering hoardes of zombies just make going anywhere more annoying. You can't save in the field so end up having to travel a lot more to get to safe houses. Meaning those hoardes get encountered a lot. The zombified wildlife effectively is just harder to kill and more widespread. The random encounters effectively just act as spawn points for more zombies. The zombies themselves are annoying as they move quite quickly when alerted and usually come in a decent sized bunch meaning you end up just spamming quick aim in the hope you nail one in the head. Ammunition is, as is traditional in the zombie genre, in short supply as well so the annoying elements just grow and grow.

You use your horse as shield far more... but when your horse dies, theres no deed to get one back. If you whistle for a lost horse you get an Undead one. Cool idea until you realise that just means you get a horse with unlimited stamina that won't do what you wish, it pulls all over the place, which makes travelling even more annoying. The only element of a deed for a horse comes in if you break all the Horses of the Apocalypse... remember how fun horse breaking was?! Well try it when the horses you need to break are randomly encountered and chances are when trying to catch it to break it you'll run into 20 zombies.

You have to save settlements from being overrun, which is quite enjoyable especially if you know the places you can access roofs from. What isn't as enjoyable, bearing in mind that you use these settlements to save in, and fast travel between, is that they can be overrun and if you're in the middle of a mission, finding out you've lost a settlement is just frustrating as you know it's either ditch the mission for a while and have to track back (as inevitably the missions are away from settlements) later, or let it be overrun and have to go back and redo the settlement saving later.

I loved RDR. Undead Nightmare has let me down a touch. It feels like a game based on good ideas on paper that in actuallity, unless you **** love zombies and frustrating design choices, ruins the base game and exposes the more annoying elements of it for the worse.

• 2 weeks later...
Â