News story of the day

BOF

Read last night that Voyager 1 is close to leaving our solar system ... 11 billion miles away , it takes 17 hours signals it's transmitting to reach earth

the article said it's in some magnetic field super highway being bombarded with outgoing charged particles from the sun and incoming particles from the stars :wacko:

If it was aimed at our nearest star system (Proxima Centauri) it would take 75,000 years to get there.. sadly I think it only has enough power for another 15 years

Space and what not is deeply fascinating , but buggered if I can understand it all

http://tinyurl.com/bdgokva

Death Star Petition On White House Website

In a galaxy not so far away, the creation of a Star Wars-style space station is proposed as an ideal way to boost the US economy.

12:40pm UK, Wednesday 05 December 2012

darth-1-522x293.jpg

Darth Vader helped oversee construction of the first Death Star

Thousands of Americans have signed a petition calling on the White House to build a Death Star.

The founder of the campaign says construction of the moon-sized space station and inter-stellar weapon from the Star Wars film series will strengthen national security and create jobs.

And US officials will be forced to consider replicating the Death Star - complete with a laser capable of destroying a planet - if the petition gains more than 25,000 digital signatures by December 14.

Started by a John D, from Longmont, Colorado, the petition on the White House website demands work should begin on the project within the next four years.

It reads: "Those who sign here petition the United States government to secure funding and resources, and begin construction on a Death Star by 2016.

"By focusing our defence resources into a space-superiority platform and weapon system such as a Death Star, the government can spur job creation in the fields of construction, engineering, space exploration, and more, and strengthen our national defence."

Among more than 3,500 signatories to the petition at the time of writing were at least four people giving the name 'Darth V', and one called 'Boba F'.

It is not the first time a government body has faced pressure from a Star Wars-related campaign.

More than 400,000 Britons stated their religion as Jedi on their 2001 Census forms, in a failed attempt to have it recognised as an official religion.

Read last night that Voyager 1 is close to leaving our solar system ... 11 billion miles away , it takes 17 hours signals it's transmitting to reach earth

the article said it's in some magnetic field super highway being bombarded with outgoing charged particles from the sun and incoming particles from the stars :wacko:

If it was aimed at our nearest star system (Proxima Centauri) it would take 75,000 years to get there.. sadly I think it only has enough power for another 15 years

Space and what not is deeply fascinating , but buggered if I can understand it all

Surely, once it's got going, it'll just keep going until it hits something? Doesn't need power except for the initial launch and getting up to speed.

Or do you mean power to send images back?

Surely, once it's got going, it'll just keep going until it hits something? Doesn't need power except for the initial launch and getting up to speed.

Or do you mean power to send images back?

power to transmit ....

but in regards to your other point , do things just drift in space indefinitely or at some point would inertia reach zero ?

A quick search suggested that Pioneer 10 that stopped broadcasting some time back and is whereabouts unknown ..is still drifting off to somewhere

power to transmit ....

but in regards to your other point , do things just drift in space indefinitely or at some point would inertia reach zero ?

A quick search suggested that Pioneer 10 that stopped broadcasting some time back and is whereabouts unknown ..is still drifting off to somewhere

I think that without an atmosphere around an object to cause drag/air resistance against it, there would be no forces acting on the object, hence it would carry on in the same direction, at the same velocity, until it encounters another force such as gravity or giant space monkey.

You do not require force or energy to move, only to change your movement. Apologies if this has been patronising in anyway, but dammit my physics A-level must be made use of at some point in time.

• Like 1

PETA vs Bikers...... Spoiler...PETA loses.

Johnstown, PA (GlossyNews) – Local and state police scoured the hills outside rural Johnstown, Pennsylvania, after reports of three animal rights activists going missing after attempting to protest the wearing of leather at a large motorcycle gang rally this weekend. Two others, previously reported missing, were discovered by fast food workers “duct taped inside several fast food restaurant dumpsters,” according to police officials.

“Something just went wrong,” said a still visibly shaken organizer of the protest. “Something just went horribly, horribly wrong.”

The organizer said a group of concerned animal rights activist groups, “growing tired of throwing fake blood and shouting profanities at older women wearing leather or fur coats,” decided to protest the annual motorcycle club event “in a hope to show them our outrage at their wanton use of leather in their clothing and motor bike seats.” “In fact,” said the organizer, “motorcycle gangs are one of the biggest abusers of wearing leather, and we decided it was high time that we let them know that we disagree with them using it…ergo, they should stop.”

According to witnesses, protesters arrived at the event in a vintage 1960′s era Volkswagen van and began to pelt the gang members with balloons filled with red colored water, simulating blood, and shouting “you’re murderers” to passers by. This, evidently, is when the brouhaha began.

“They peed on me!!!” charged one activist. “They grabbed me, said I looked like I was French, started calling me ‘La Trene’, and duct taped me to a tree so they could pee on me all day!”

“I…I was trying to show my outrage at a man with a heavy leather jacket, and he…he didn’t even care. I called him a murderer, and all he said was, ‘You can’t prove that.’ Next thing I know he forced me to ride on the back of his motorcycle all day, and would not let me off, because his girl friend was out of town and I was almost a woman.”

Still others claimed they were forced to eat hamburgers and hot dogs under duress. Those who resisted were allegedly held down while several bikers “farted on their heads.”

Police officials declined comments on any leads or arrests due to the ongoing nature of the investigation, however, organizers for the motorcycle club rally expressed “surprise” at the allegations.

“That’s preposterous,” said one high-ranking member of the biker organizing committee. “We were having a party, and these people showed up and were very rude to us. They threw things at us, called us names, and tried to ruin the entire event. So, what did we do? We invited them to the party! What could be more friendly than that? You know, just because we are all members of motorcycle clubs does not mean we do not care about inclusiveness. Personally, I think it shows a lack of character for them to be saying such nasty things about us after we bent over backwards to make them feel welcome.”

When confronted with the allegations of force-feeding the activists meat, using them as ad hoc latrines, leaving them incapacitated in fast food restaurant dumpsters, and ‘farting on their heads,’ the organizer declined to comment in detail. “That’s just our secret handshake,” assured the organizer.

LiveLeak-dot-com-06698f7b0619-1.jpg.resized.jpg?d5e8cc8eccfb6039332f41f6249e92b06c91b4db65f5e99818bad2924a46ded61e03&ec_rate=300

Liveleak

• 4 weeks later...

You probably won't be able to verify this with Fox or CNN ... They've been reporting Hillary was ill with a blood clot.

"A new Foreign Military Intelligence (GRU) report circulating in the Kremlin today is saying that United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was injured and a top US Navy Seal Commander killed when their C-12 Huron military passenger and transport aircraft crash landed nearly 3 weeks ago in the Iranian city of Ahvaz near the Iraqi border."

6 before 9 means she's doing time

A Florida woman is jailed on a battery rap for allegedly striking her boyfriend after he “finished first and stopped pleasuring her” during a mutual oral sex session late last night in the victim’s home, police report.

Jennie Scott, 50, was booked into the Manatee County lockup on a misdemeanor charge stemming from the 11 PM encounter in the Palmetto bedroom of Jilberto Deleon, 32. Scott has dated Deleon “for the last 5 years on and off,” according to a sheriff’s report.

Deputies were summoned to Deleon’s home by a witness who heard the couple arguing and saw Scott (seen at right) atop Deleon “punching and scratching him.” She also allegedly struck Deleon with a stick and threatened to hit him with a wrench before the tool was taken from her hand by the witness.

When questioned by a cop, Scott explained that she and Deleon “were giving each other oral pleasure in the bedroom” when Deleon “finished first and stopped pleasuring her.” Scott added that she “became upset and they began arguing.”

A deputy noted that Scott said that she was also mad at Deleon because she had “heard [him] having sex with another woman over the phone earlier in the day.” Scott struggled with deputies before being placed in a police cruiser, where she kicked a window until being warned that she would be maced unless she stopped.

Bail has yet to be set for Scott, who deputies described as “extremely intoxicated.”

Part of me doubts whether the Daily Heil were being entirely sincere and without a hint of schadenfreude when they wrote this

'Die hard yob' football hooligan, 36, turns back on violence and undergoes sex change to embark on new life as a woman

article-2256565-16BC9BFF000005DC-219_306x345.jpg

Yob: Richard as he was before becoming Becci Allen

A 24-stone self-confessed soccer hooligan has turned his back on the macho world of terrace violence to undergo a sex change.

Burly Richard Allen, 36, lived for brawling with rival fans at England and Exeter City games and admits he was a die-hard yob.

But Richard has shown hooliganism the red card and after he shed seven stone has swapped football shirts for frocks and embarked on a new life - as Becci.

Becci said: 'I had been on a colourful path with anger and got into trouble with the police a few times. I went to football games with Exeter City, Spurs and England and I was a hooligan.

'I used to beat people up. I was always fighting something I wanted to be.

'I am not proud of what I used to do but it has all gone to shaping the way I am today - I am finally getting the life I was meant to live.'

Becci, of Alphington, Devon, knew from the age of eight he wanted to be a woman.

But rather than explore his feminine side he surrounded himsef with tough friends and behaved as 'manly' as possible to release his pent-up anger.

Decades later Becci finally sought medical advice and has now begun the male-to-female transition.

He is undergoing hormone treatment and voice therapy ahead of a full sex change operation on the NHS.

Homebase worker Becci said: 'I spent a lot of time suppressing it and trying to fit in. I was trying to conform to the male form and I did live an unhappy life.

article-2256565-16BC9C0D000005DC-576_306x493.jpg

article-2256565-16BC9C08000005DC-298_306x493.jpg

Becci says he is a different person now after ditching the macho world

article-2256565-16BC9CD3000005DC-908_634x1076.jpg

'I didn't used to have many female friends. I was envious and jealous of them so I built my life around a male environment.

'I decided at the age of 32 to make changes. I got to the point in life where either I did this or my life would be ended.

'I have now gone completely the other way and am now the person I should have been.

'For the first time ever I am just happy.'

Becci says he is enjoying single life after coming out of a 12-year relationship and insists he has the full backing of her family since deciding to dress as a woman.

He even broke the news to his boss over a McDonald's meal - but said he was equally supportive.

And Becci stresses that just because he prefers to be a woman does not mean having to give up being a big fan of football or darts.

Becci said: 'I had a lot of fears about coming out but you need to overcome them.

article-2256565-16BC9CB3000005DC-645_306x423.jpg

article-2256565-16BC9C9D000005DC-364_306x423.jpg

Finally content: For the first time ever, Becci says he is happy

article-2256565-16BC9C2E000005DC-441_634x1044.jpg

Richard has shown hooliganism the red card and after shedding seven stone and embarking upon the journey towards a full sex change, he is embracing his girly side

'I have lost seven stone in weight as I have been a lot more active but I am not as strong as I was and I am learning about my limitations.

'And if I am dressed inappropriately my friends will tell me to go home and change.

'I have not been to St James' Park for a while because of the trouble I got into, but I am a different person now.

'Having a sex change does not mean I have to stop going to football or darts.'

Describing his former days as a football hooligan, sex swap England, Exeter City and Spurs fan Becci Allen told how he targeted rival supporters - before dishing out brutal beatings.

Six foot two inch Becci said: 'If there was a City-Argyle game we would just go down there and basically beat the crap out of whoever was supporting Argyle.

'Obviously not the kids or the women, but any men that were wearing an Argyle shirt. We'd just beat them up. We went for the rival fans, only the people that were looking for it.

'To be honest, I only did a few games at City but I was a bigger England fan - beating up the Swedes was good fun.

'I was the quiet one that suddenly flipped. It was always fisticuffs. If you can't fight with your fists there's no point fighting.

'This was only at the weekends, during the week I was a family man. I do feel remorse now but I can't change what happened, I can only look forward and build a better life.

'I still have an England tattoo on my arm that says Loud and Proud and I have no plans to get rid of it. It's not very girly but it's part of me.'

Becci has an 11-year-old daughter, Nicole, with Paula, an ex-partner of 12 years.

Speaking of the effect Becci's lifestyle change has had on her relationship with estranged Paula, he said: 'Paula probably took it like anyone else would have taken it. That's probably why we're not together.

'She was supportive though. She hasn't given me any hassle. We've just gone our separate ways.

'I've got a daughter who is 12 in June. I haven't seen her for three years and I really, really miss her. Hopefully one day she will come and find me.

article-2256565-16BC9C1A000005DC-249_634x415.jpg

Becci has been supported throughout her transition by the Exeter-based Laurels service, run by the Devon Partnership NHS Trust

'My family and friends are amazing. I'm really blessed. I'm a really happy go lucky person who loves life so maybe that's the reason I've got so many friends.

'They just love me for me.'

Becci now has C-cup breasts because of the hormones he takes and has grown out his skinhead haircut into a red bob.

He sees himself as a regular woman leading a regular life.

Becci added: 'I really enjoy a game of darts. I go to the pub as often as possible.

'I've been to a Guns N' Roses concert and a Madness concert. I go everywhere now, lead a completely normal life.

'I haven't yet been to an England game but I plan to get back into it again.'

Becci has been supported throughout his transition by the Exeter-based Laurels service, run by the Devon Partnership NHS Trust.

Clinical team leader Maria Morris said: 'People do bottle their feelings up for many years and there are often people with a history of doing very masculine things such as being in the forces or married two or three times.

'Telling family, friends and work colleagues can be a traumatic thing to do.

'Some people are disowned by their families and have been declared freaks. We become their family then and help them live a life.'

The police just keeping us safe

Teenage girl killed after family’s car is struck by vehicle in police chase

A 13-year-old girl died after the car she was travelling in was struck by a vehicle being pursued by police, Scotland Yard has revealed.

The unnamed teenager was travelling with her parents and brother in a Volkswagen Polo in south London when it was involved in a collision with a Peugeot 308 being chased by a marked police car, which police said has its blue lights and sirens on.

The girl, who was sitting in the back of the car, died at the scene, while her family was taken to hospital with non-serious injuries.

The male driver of the Peugeot is in custody while a female passenger is also in hospital with minor injuries.

Police, ambulance and fire crews attended the scene of the crash, in Ilderton Road, New Cross, at 6.30pm on Sunday.

The scene of the crash, between an industrial estate and a railway line, is close to Millwall Football Club’s stadium.

south London crashThe collision took place in south London (Picture: Google Maps)

‘An innocent family are now dealing with the tragic loss of a loved one,’ said Metropolitan police commander Tony Eastaugh.

‘The Metropolitan police has now begun a thorough investigation into the circumstances of this terrible incident. The thoughts of our staff and officers are with the family at this time.’

Traffic police and officers from the directorate of professional standards are investigating, while the Independent Police Complaints Commission has also been informed and is investigating the circumstances of the crash.

Parents taking their children to nearby Ilderton Primary School at the start of the new term spoke of their sadness at the teenager’s death.

Nursery assistant Michelle Foster, who was walking her nine-year-old to school, said:

‘I am shocked – I heard the news from another mum as we were walking along to school. I feel very, very sorry for the family.’

Afza Osman, 37, who had dropped her five-year-old off at school, added: ‘It is very, very sad. We cross that road every single day.’

Not sure if this is a dig at the Police or not BOF.

The only person responsible for the crash is the arsehole who hadn't stopped.

It is a dig at the police. It's precisely for this reason that they try to avoid high-speed chases through populated areas. Because they can end like this. You call ahead to other police and stop them that way. The entire point is to keep the public safe. Piggy f**ked up here.

Â