News story of the day

BOF

Luke Walker convicted of GBH, suspended 8 yr sentence. All seems to have concluded very quickly with strange "witness statements"

I read that as Luke Skywalker... it's been a long day.

Apparently this is a question in the Cambridge law exam.  I suppose it's based on typical cases graduates can expect to be dealing with in their coming traineeships.

GIl6Dd6_zpsb8bee008.png

That can't be a real exam paper, there isn't anyone named Manoj or Sandeep.

• Like 2

Is there a new type of rodent roaming our fair city?

Is there a new type of rodent roaming our fair city?

rat.jpg

Are a new breed of giant rats evolving on our streets? If you’re in doubt, just take a look at the beast being held aloft by Highgate resident Adrian Whitaker. Whitaker found it after he heard the snap of a mouse trap while eating his dinner last week. Pulling back his dishwasher he found the furry giant staring back at him.‘The rat was dazed by a tiny £1 mouse trap. I picked it up with a bag and frogmarched it out of the door,’ says Whitaker, before adding with a sinister flourish ‘I took some firewood to it and took a few hits to kill it.’ Whitaker estimates that the animal was about the size of a small dog, or the length of his forearm. ‘They are getting bigger in cities,’ concurs rat expert Richard Moseley, technical manager of the British Pest Control Association. ‘Food sources are more available. Food waste, especially junk food, is greater than it used to be,’ he said. According to Moseley, the standard rat measures 40 cm, although creatures measuring in at 45cm have been reported.

But if the thought of obese rats roaming the streets nonchalantly giving two claws to the capital’s rubbish collectors horrifies you, take heart: urban lore holds that the rodents lurk within six feet of you wherever you are in London, but recent research by the Food and Environment Research Agency estimates that there are 3.1 million rats in the UK’s urban areas. Even if they spread out, there’d still be only one rat every 5,000 square metres in London. So you’re actually a good 164 feet (50m) from one. Phew, you can go back to chowing down your KFC now.

I know people who would literally cease to function properly as human beings if they encountered a rat of any description, never mind one that size.

That "99 million more colours" thing is a wonderful story. Fascinating, especially as it is impossible to understand what they see.

Blows your mind a bit trying to imagine it. A new colour...

It doesn't really explain it, does it? I'd like to hear from the woman herself.

99 million? Really? I can understand maybe "seeing" colours in the infra-red and/or ultraviolet extremes of the spectrum, but is there something else? Is she just seeing "nuances" in the visible spectrum that we can't distinguish? e.g. two shades of (say) green, that normal people can't distinguish from each other, but she can. But they are still just shades of green.

By analogy, some people can distinguish microtonal differences between two musical "notes" that are so close that most of hear them as being exactly the same. They're aren't really hearing anything that we aren't, they're just better at the "fine tuning".

So, does she see more shades, or does she actually see completely different colours?

Makes my head hurt...

• Like 1

Man calls Solihull police to complain about prostitute's looks

A man has been warned after he dialled 999 to complain about a prostitute's looks after meeting her.

West Midlands Police said they were contacted by the caller who said he "wished to report her for breaching the Sale of Goods Act".

The force said the call was received at about 19:30 BST on Tuesday complaining that the woman was not as attractive as she had claimed.

Officers have now sent the man a letter warning him about wasting police time.

West Midlands Police said the man had claimed he met the woman in a hotel car park.

"The caller claimed that the woman had made out she was better looking than she actually was and he wished to report her for breaching the Sale of Goods Act," a spokesperson for the force said.

"When he raised this issue with the woman concerned, she allegedly took his car keys, ran away from the car and threw them back at him, prompting him to call police."

'It was unbelievable'

During the call, the man can be heard to say: "I've arranged a meeting with her, but beforehand I've asked her for an honest description, otherwise when I get there I'm not going to use her services.

"Basically she has misdescribed herself, misrepresented herself totally.

"She was angry because she obviously thinks I owe her a living or something."

Sgt Jerome Moran, based at Solihull police station, called the man back to offer some advice.

He said: "It was unbelievable - he genuinely believed he had done nothing wrong and that the woman should have been investigated by police for misrepresentation.

"I told him that she'd not committed any offences and that it was his actions, in soliciting for sex, that were in fact illegal."

Despite the man refusing to give his details, police were able to identify him and have sent him a letter warning him about his actions.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 gives consumers legal rights, stipulating goods which are sold must be of satisfactory quality, be fit for purpose and must match the seller's description.

• Like 2

Better do it soon lads.

Sweden set to ban bestiality

Sweden will next year introduce a total ban on bestiality, which until now has only been illegal if cruelty to the animal could be proven, the government said on Thursday.

1439838.JPEG

"The government is now tightening the rules surrounding bestiality so there will be no doubt about the fact that it is prohibited to inflict suffering on animals," Minister for Rural Affairs Eskil Erlandsson said in a statement.

"There should be no doubt that bestiality is unacceptable."

From 1 January, any sexual act with an animal will be punishable by a fine, a maximum prison sentence of two years, or both, even if the animal shows no sign of injury or suffering.

"It's very good that the law will be changed," a spokesperson for the Swedish Federation of Veterinarians, Johan Beck-Friis, told AFP.

"It's very important that society makes a clear statement that it is unacceptable to use animals that way," he said.

The ban will bring Sweden in line with a European Union directive.

Germany introduced a ban in December, following in the footsteps of Britain, France, and Switzerland among others.

The Swedish parliament is expected to pass the bill into law soon, as there is broad political consensus on the issue.

According to Beck-Friis, under the current law veterinarians may suspect that an animal has been sexually abused but they are generally unable to prove it.

As a result, there are no statistics available on how common bestiality is in the country.

In 2006, the latest year for which statistics are available, about 100 cases of animals suffering injuries suspected of being related to bestiality were brought to the authorities' attention, Beck-Friis said.

• Like 1

Â