News story of the day

BOF

• 2 weeks later...

She should move to Alaska, she'd be a hit over there

Islam is a country .. She's already passed the American citizen test ..

I love it. I post a video of a dumb Australian, and it immediately turns into a Yank-bashing. Can't escape it for a nanosecond.  :P

• Like 2

I love it. I post a video of a dumb Australian, and it immediately turns into a Yank-bashing. Can't escape it for a nanosecond. :P

Consider it pay back for the amount of times an American asked me if I was Australian when they heard my English Accent :)

• Like 2

I love it. I post a video of a dumb Australian, and it immediately turns into a Yank-bashing. Can't escape it for a nanosecond.  :P

Think of it as Palin bashing not yank bashing

When Tapirs attack!

A TWO YEAR-old girl is in a serious condition in hospital after being attacked by a normally-docile animal in Dublin Zoo.

tapir-3-390x285.jpg

The mother of the child was also attacked as she attempted to stop the animal.

The young girl was part of a supervised visit to the animal’s enclosure at the zoo. It is believed that the tapir became agitated and attacked the child, leaving her with deep cuts on her arm and stomach. She underwent surgery last night in Temple Street Children’s Hospital and her mother is in a less serious condition in the Mater Hospital.

A Dublin Zoo spokesperson said that the incident was unusual and called it “an unfortunate accident involving a mother and her child in the Brazilian tapir area”.

“Dublin Zoo would like to underline this was very much an isolated incident.

We would also like to emphasise that our immediate concern is the health and well-being of the visitors involved in this accident.

“The staff of Dublin Zoo are deeply upset by this incident and their utmost concern lies with the visitors and their speedy recovery,” the spokesperson added.

Tapirs look similar to anteaters and are about the size of a pig. Their jaws are incredibly powerful, but they do not have much of a history of attacking humans.

In 1998, an Oklahoma City Zoo keeper lost an arm after being attacked by a female tapir.

Who'd a thunk it.

I like Tapirs , but whenever I see one I can't help but do this

I find that as time goes by my interest in them gets less

Very good. I like the ones where you give the audience some credit ;):P
  • Like 2

And down goes Whitey 

James "Whitey" Bulger, the feared Boston mob boss who became one of the nation's most-wanted fugitives, was convicted Monday in a string of 11 killings and other gangland crimes, many of them committed while he was said to be an FBI informant.

Bulger, 83, stood silently and showed no reaction upon hearing the verdict, which brought to a close a case that not only transfixed the city with its grisly violence but exposed corruption inside the Boston FBI and an overly cozy relationship with its underworld snitches.

Bulger was charged primarily with racketeering, which listed 33 criminal acts – among them, 19 murders that he allegedly helped orchestrate or carried out himself during the 1970s and 80s while he led the Winter Hill Gang, Boston's ruthless Irish mob. The racketeering charge also included acts of extortion, conspiracy, money-laundering and drug dealing.

After four days of deliberations, the jury decided he took part in 11 of those murders, along with nearly all the other crimes, as well as a laundry list of other counts, including possession of machine guns.

Bulger could get life in prison at sentencing November 13. But given his age, even a modest term could amount to a life sentence for the slightly stooped, white-bearded Bulger.

One woman in the gallery taunted Bulger as he was being led away, apparently imitating machine-gun fire as she yelled: "Rat-a-tat-tat, Whitey!"

Outside the courtroom, relatives of the victims hugged each other, the prosecutors and even defense attorneys.

Patricia Donahue wept as the verdict was read, saying it was a relief to see Bulger convicted in the murder of her husband, Michael Donahue, who authorities say was an innocent victim who died in a hail of gunfire while giving a ride to an FBI informant marked for death by Bulger.

"He's guilty of murdering my husband. There's nobody that said that," his widow said. "It brings out a lot of emotion, and when it finally happens, it's kind of hard."

Thomas Donahue, who was eight when his father was killed, said: "Thirty-one years of deceit, of cover-up. … Finally we have somebody guilty of it. Thirty-one years – that's a long time." He said that when he heard the verdict in his father's slaying, "I wanted to jump up. I was like, 'Damn right.'"

During the two-month trial, federal prosecutors portrayed him as a cold-blooded, hands-on boss who killed anyone he saw as a threat, along with innocent people who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Then, according to testimony, he would go off and take a nap while his underlings handled the cleanup.

Among other things, Bulger was accused of strangling two women with his bare hands, shooting two men in the head after chaining them to chairs and interrogating them for hours, and opening fire on two men as they left a South Boston restaurant.

Edited by maqroll

A few days old but you got to admire his style.

Man Writes Own Credit Card Contract, Sues Bank for Breaking Terms by Matt Brownell Aug 9th 2013 12:28PM
Updated Aug 9th 2013 3:59PM

When you get a credit card application, you have two choices: You can sign it and send it in, or you can decide you don't like the terms, and throw it in the trash.

But a Russian man went a third route: He changed the terms of the contract to be more to his liking, and wound up with a credit card that gave him unlimited, interest-free spending.

Russia Today reports that Dmitry Argarkov of Vornonezh, Russia, didn't find the terms of a credit card offer he received from Tinkoff Credit Systems in 2008 appealing. But instead of ripping it up, he scanned it into his computer, rewrote the terms to be much more in his favor, printed it out, signed it, and mailed it back. How much more in his favor? Under the new terms, he was to have a 0 percent APR, no fees and no credit limit. And the bank would incur huge fines every time it violated the terms of his agreement.

When the bank got back the application, it apparently didn't bother to check the fine print, and sent him back a credit card.

And when the bank terminated the card and tried to sue him for unpaid balances and fees, the court ruled more or less in his favor: It ordered him to pay his unpaid balance of 19,000 rubles ($575), but otherwise waived all other credit card fees.

"They signed the documents without looking. They said what usually their borrowers say in court: 'We have not read it,'" his lawyer, Dmitry Mikhalevich, told members of the press after the ruling.

But Argarkov isn't done with the bank: His contract calls for a 6 million-ruble ($182,400) termination fee, as well as a 3 million-ruble fine for each violation of the agreement. Since the bank canceled his card and tried to charge him interest and fees, he's now suing the bank for 24 million rubles ($730,000). Needless to say, the bank has pledged to fight.

"According to our lawyers, he is going to get not 24 million rubles, but 4 years in prison for fraud. Now it's a matter of principle for @tcsbank," tweeted Tinkoff Credit Systems founder Oleg Tinkov (pictured, above).

Maybe next time they'll read the fine print they're so fond of using.

Matt Brownell is the consumer and retail reporter for DailyFinance. You can reach him at Matt.Brownell@teamaol.com, and follow him on Twitter at @Brownellorama.

Edited by mockingbird_franklin
  • Like 3

Â