Are we 'just' one world class player away from the top?

paddy

How far away are we from being top 4 regulars and challenging for the title  

133 members have voted

1. 1. How far away are we from being top 4 regulars and challenging for the title

• Just one world class player
    • One world class player and a few better players than we already have
    • Two world class players
    • Two world class players and a few better players than we already have
    • Just a few more decent players should do it
    • Even the above options wouldn't get us to that level
    • The squad is good enough it just needs to raise its game

I'd been thinking about this in recent weeks. But a comment in the Guardian this morning about the only difference between the teams yesterday was Rooney (though Phil Dowd obviously helped them...) got me thinking about it again.

We have a good team, and some good players but no real world class stars.

Just looking at this season:

Against Arsenal we were matching them pretty well until Fabregas came on scored twice and trotted off again.

Against Liverpool we were fine until Torres stepped up in the last minute and finished us off (and in the past Gerrard has done so).

Against Utd it wasn't so clear cut as in the other games mentioned above, and obviously Valencia and Dowd played their part, but I think it's fair to say Rooney was the main difference between the teams.

I think it's a bit different with Chelsea, although they have Drogba, I think they're very strong in other parts of the team and the rest of their team is significantly stronger than our basic team with players like Essien, Anelka, Terry (some would argue), Ashley Cole etc etc.

So if we put a 'world class' player in our team would it push us up into top 4 regulars and title challengers, or is more required?

Just to be clear I'm NOT looking for suggestions of players who can take us to the next level. Just how far away we are and maybe where they should play (either central midfield or striker I guess).

edit: Definition of world class for the purposes of this thread - Doesn't necessarily have to be the best player in their position in the world. But in the top 5 or so I reckon. Basically, one of the best players in the world. I don't think it's necessarily something you can quantify.

And as we're talking about attacking players, the sort who've got that bit of magic that can pretty much win a Premiership game on their own, like Fabregas did against us this season.

Don't think we'd be able to get a world class player to join us, and I don't think we need one really.

We badly need a goalscorer, someone like Jermaine Defoe, he's not world class, but someone like that is what we need to help us break into the top four.

We're not far off now, if we could get someone that could give us 15/20 goals a season, someone clinical that would give us that cutting edge we lack at the moment, we'd be in there.

Clinical goalscorer and another good central midfielder comfortable with the ball as Petrov is 31 in the summer and unless we play a midfield three next season, I can see him struggling in a two if he's a regular.

Get those two in and we'll be as strong if not stronger next season unless the defence just collapses.

A top striker.

Job done.

I still think we lack quality at times in central midfield, maybe more so with the way we play rather than the personnel in there. No good having a top striker if the quality of balls isn't good enough as the second half showed yesterday.

Sunderland go down, get Bent simple.

Gabby's shown this season he can play the targetman role really well and still chip in with I think 15 goals so far. Get Bent as the clincial striker.

Bent has scored loads lately hasn't he?

Sunderland go down, get Bent simple.

Gabby's shown this season he can play the targetman role really well and still chip in with I think 15 goals so far. Get Bent as the clincial striker.

Bent has scored loads lately hasn't he?

Sunderland are struggling though, so it's probably fair to say he's not been getting the service.

But check his record, he's scored goals where ever he's been.

He'd do well here with service from the likes of Young, Downing, Milner etc.

Sunderland won't go down though. We should have gone for Bent in the summer, that boats well and truely sailed now.

We may need to look overseas for a forward :shock:

Define "world class" and I can answer the question.

Doesn't necessarily have to be the best player in their position in the world. But in the top 5 or so I reckon. Basically, one of the best players in the world. I don't think it's necessarily something you can quantify.

I know the phrase 'world class' annoys people and it's not exactly my favourite phrases earlier, but 'top class' didn't sound right and wasn't sure what else to call them.

I just sumbitted a match report for the Cup Final and stated that were one world clas player off benig a legit top four team!!

What do you mean by world class? :winkold: