Are we 'just' one world class player away from the top?

paddy

How far away are we from being top 4 regulars and challenging for the title  

133 members have voted

1. 1. How far away are we from being top 4 regulars and challenging for the title

• Just one world class player
    • One world class player and a few better players than we already have
    • Two world class players
    • Two world class players and a few better players than we already have
    • Just a few more decent players should do it
    • Even the above options wouldn't get us to that level
    • The squad is good enough it just needs to raise its game

Bent has scored loads lately hasn't he?

No he hasnt, but i dont think its coincidence that Sunderland are doing shite now Bent has stopped scoring. Doesnt mean to say he wouldnt score a shedload in our team. Ive been saying we should sign him for years now ever since his first season with Charlton. Hes quality and probably the best we could hope for at the moment.

Guest Ricardomeister

Like most people I think we need at least a potent goalscorer to partner Gabby and more creativity in central midfield to enable us to stop being so one dimensional and attack teams through the middle, which we never seem to do at the moment.

I think we're a world class striker and an extra bit of pure creativity away from the top i.e. a playmaker. Plus we need additional strength in depth.

Look at our bench on Sunday. Where were the players who could genuinely change the dynamic of the game if they came on? We don't really have any. Our starting XI is as good as the top teams, but we truely lack genuine quality for when the inevitable injuries / suspensions come in.

We've got a mixture of workhorses and flair, and thats great, cos its got us to where we are. But in order to push on and really be where we want to be, we need the one thing that everyone is striving for, and that is QUALITY. Unfortunately, this comes at a premimum, and being in the Champions League seems the only sure fire way to attract it. Either that or take some 'risks' in the transfer market.

It will come, but it probably wont come overnight unfortunately. So I'll cross my fingers in the summer, and see what happens. Remember, MON tends not buy players who've done well in tournaments, so don't expect anyone signed purely on the basis of their World Cup exploits.

just need striker who can peform world class standard in cheap fee (6 mil to 15 mil) - like bent or defoes level.

if not so world class striker (12 - 25 mil) will be good enough for we get top 4.

other thing we need - deep lay playmaker - defence hardcore with full ability forward pass or killer pass.

like barry, sandro or veloso style. partner with attack playmaker (milner) will will full range threat middle and winger will more threat that current.

most top required to led top 4 are striker my opition, maybe 2 striker if we sell both heskey and carew.

------------------

striker. i'm think we should give fonz a go with partner gabby for 1/4 season maybe 1/2 season help fonz improve his skill and expenice so we might not need sign world class striker. as fonz all round.

mind you all i poor english, if mod will to help change english for me.

We do lack having more play through the middle. A CM and Striker for me.

This for me as well. Not sure what sort we need, maybe in the Essien mould (haha no chance I know!) who can defend but is also more than competent going forward.

just need striker who can peform world class standard in cheap fee (6 mil to 15 mil) - like bent or defoes level.

if not so world class striker (12 - 25 mil) will be good enough for we get top 4.

other thing we need - deep lay playmaker - defence hardcore with full ability forward pass or killer pass.

like barry, sandro or veloso style. partner with attack playmaker (milner) will will full range threat middle and winger will more threat that current.

most top required to led top 4 are striker my opition, maybe 2 striker if we sell both heskey and carew.

------------------

striker. i'm think we should give fonz a go with partner gabby for 1/4 season maybe 1/2 season help fonz improve his skill and expenice so we might not need sign world class striker. as fonz all round.

mind you all i poor english, if mod will to help change english for me.

Don't worry about it mate we can understand you. Your English is still better than some of the English posters on here...

I voted for one worldy and a few better players BUT I think we could have been top 4 last year and this year if MON had shown a bit more flexibility in his selections and had made tactical changes where necessary.

We are not a million miles away.

I think we are very close to being there right now. One striker in the style of Rooney who can come deep to create as well as get goals and think we could be right up there.

Looking at poachers like Bent and Defoe I think we wouldn't be much higher than we are now. Those kinds of players are useless without service which at times we simply don't provide. We would need someone who could perform Petrov's duties as well as having some real creative spark.

I voted for one worldy and a few better players BUT I think we could have been top 4 last year and this year if MON had shown a bit more flexibility in his selections and had made tactical changes where necessary.

We are not a million miles away.

Yes, but this thread isn't about 'just' being in the top 4. It's about regular top 4 pushing for the title. Which, unfortunately, is a step up again unfortunately.

Yes, but this thread isn't about 'just' being in the top 4. It's about regular top 4 pushing for the title. Which, unfortunately, is a step up again unfortunately.

I said this year and last year - two consecutive years is the start of regular? I believe we have dropped a number of points where we could have taken more that could have put us up there with Arsenal and well out of reach of Plop, Citeh and Spuds with our current squad.

What we are is one quality Striker or two away from a big improvement in our league finishes. We had chances Sunday and have had chances all season that a quality striker would put away.

I think we're in a good position other than perhaps a bit more depth to the squad (quality depth) but we look sh*t up front.

Its saying something when the commentators are taking the p*ss out of Heskey and Carew obviously has done something to upset MON. Gabby is useful as a squad player at best.

Im happy at what we're doing but frustrated that we havent bought in a striker that can put away the chances we create!