Mass Effect 2

Stu_The_Villan

I finished ME:3 last night and now I see why it's being criticised, although in some cases it's a little extreme. The ending didn't really give me much of an emotional pay-off, although I think I read somewhere that Bioware are going to extend the ending and make it available as free DLC at some point?

I agree with you guys on the fact that Bioware clearly saw too late that it would be impossible to do all of the characters justice. I'm with you Chindie, Thane and Mordin were my two favourites and Thane got an especially raw deal. It just wasn't very well thought through. I also read that certain writers were either reassigned to other projects or left Bioware for pastures new, which no doubt had an effect on the overall vision for the trilogy. I heard that they pretty dramatically changed the Reaper's motive and thus the very end of the third game too.

Bit of a shame, although I guess we'll see what Bioware come up with for the extended ending whenever that is released. Still, the second and third games were a lot of fun to play, so I can't complain too much.

Got given ME2 today, started playing it about 5 hours ago and I'm hooked. Got told the basics of ME1, and also told it wasn't worth tolerating due to how bad it is. Love it so far.

I had a few games on the muli-player last night, and it's not that bad to be honest. Sucks a bit though that you need to do it to improve your single player experience. That said, after about three or four games, I went from "galactic readiness" of 50% to 72%, so if that's the only effect it shouldn't take too long to get up there. The multiplayer can be brutal if you're in a shit team. Cerberus soldiers stamping on your head with a brutal sounding crunch was one sound I heard over and over!

You know that your Galactic Readiness begins to drop again if you don't play the multiplayer every day too right? That being said, I find the multiplayer good fun, mainly because it's co-operative as opposed to competitive (although you still will find some numpties online who want to ruin it for everyone else). Like you said though, it doesn't take long to get your readiness up.

I had a few games on the muli-player last night, and it's not that bad to be honest. Sucks a bit though that you need to do it to improve your single player experience. That said, after about three or four games, I went from "galactic readiness" of 50% to 72%, so if that's the only effect it shouldn't take too long to get up there. The multiplayer can be brutal if you're in a shit team. Cerberus soldiers stamping on your head with a brutal sounding crunch was one sound I heard over and over!

I got it all to maximum levels before I completed the game a while back. It turns out that it was pretty pointless though, given the endings...

You know that your Galactic Readiness begins to drop again if you don't play the multiplayer every day too right? That being said, I find the multiplayer good fun, mainly because it's co-operative as opposed to competitive (although you still will find some numpties online who want to ruin it for everyone else). Like you said though, it doesn't take long to get your readiness up.

Yes, there are some right thickies about, who make the game unnecessarily irritating at times.

• 2 weeks later...

Powered through both games in about 10 days, which is a little alarming considering both saves have more than 30 hours gameplay on them. :lol:

The ending was underwhelming. I've looked around online, read a few different things and I don't really know what to make of it. Hoping the summer DLC that has been announced for it will make things a little more clear.

Still, as a series it's up there with my favourite games ever. Which is an achievement because on the current gen consoles there haven't been many games that have really dragged me in.

Martin Sheen is superb as a voice actor. He makes me want to join Cerberus and rule the world.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished Mass effect three and I thought it was awful.

1. Terrible ending that amounts to "whats your favourite colour red, green or blue?"

2. The illusion of choice. In the first two games it felt like your choices mattered. In Mass effect 3 it was clear that they didn't.

3. Infruriating cover system that was about the worst I have ever used. (I played on PC with K+M)

4. Repetitive gameplay that showed no innovation or variety whatsoever.

4. Repetitive gameplay that showed no innovation or variety whatsoever.

Yes! Far worse than even the ending for me was the further reduction of variety in the combat especially. They stripped everything back and it feels little different whichever of the three groups of enemies you are fighting, it seems as though they have forced the multiplayer classes of enemy into the single player. I miss fighting against enemy biotics, while the enemy engineers are now just a bloke with a turret. The guns do work better, but if I want to play Gears I will go play Gears!

• 1 month later...

This is somewhat old news now, but the 'extended ending' has been given a release date of 26/06/12 (tomorrow) for Xbox, and 04/07/12 for PS3. Bioware's official statement reads, taken from the ME site;

The Extended Cut expands on the endings of Mass Effect 3 through additional scenes and epilogue sequences. It provides more of the answers and closure that players have been asking for. It gives a sense of what the future holds as a result of the decisions made throughout the series. And it shows greater detail in the successes or failures based on how players achieved their endings.

The Extended Cut is an expansion of the original endings to Mass Effect 3. It does not fundamentally change the endings, but rather it expands on the meaning of the original endings, and reveals greater detail on the impact of player decisions.

I'm pretty sure it'll be a few more lousy cutscenes and that'll be all. I don't think they couldve knocked together what most people really wanted to see that quickly.

If you reload your last save from before the end, I guess you'd be able to see the new stuff pretty quick. At least that would make sense. They'd piss of people off more than they already are if you had to go through a whole new game just to see the new stuff.

I can't remember exactly where the last save before the end was...can't have been that long before the ending.

It's just before the second to last mission, so you might have to play through the final two missions. Not sure how it works if you have an auto save just before the "old" ending sequence.

Early word that I've read is basically just what everyone expected really, it isn't that great, but worth looking at. It also provides an extra 'option' on top of the previous 3 at the end, which I can curious to see.

Downloading the add-on as we speak, but at 1.85GB it's taking it's sweet time. I hope I don't have to play through too much though. That bit towards the end in the streets of London where you just get wave after wave and loads of Banshees was a pain in the ass.

You go to 'restart Citadel' or whatever the last mission is called, and it puts you from where you get nailed by the Reaper at the end, then you play from there.

:thumb: to them for making it free. Not going to say anything else though

• 8 months later...

Seeing as this is basically the Mass Effect thread - the last bit of DLC Is due this week. Basically the crew get shore leave, things go a little bit wrong, and they end up having a massive piss up at the end. I've read that it's somewhat like the comedy episodes of the X-Files, in that it maintains the characters we know, but they do things a bit differently. But it works. It is alleged to be the best DLC from the entire series. Believe it or not I  never actually got round to playing the 360 version, although I did get the collectors edition, I played it on PS3 instead. Might be good time to load up the DLC I've missed on there, and give it another run through, plus the patched/fixed/new/expanded/waste ending.

• 5 weeks later...

Thinking about this game the other day and how the ending could have been improved and I think the solution should have been to take the choice away from the player and have Shepard make the final decision based on his Paragon/Renegade rating throughout the series.

ie if your Shepard was a total renegade then he takes a shot at the Catalyst and you end up with the Liara time capsule ending.

If he was a total paragon, then he would take the option to merge synthetic and organic life.

The other 2 options would cover the senarios where Shepard was more balanced, destroying the reapers if he favoured being a renegade and controlling them if he tended towards being a paragon

I think taking the choice away would have given me the motivation for another playthrough of the series. As it stands with ME3's 2nd half being so bad, I'm unlikely to do it in the near future.

• 1 year later...

Finished ME3 last night, got to say I don't understand the hate for the ending, I thought it was quite good TBH. I do think they should have had the same ending for everyone though.

All in all it's probably the best trilogy I've ever played. 1 was outstanding, 2 was near perfect and 3 was great too.

Â