The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

"Pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao’s trusted adviser Michael Koncz says that the WBO welterweight champion will defend his title at the 147 pound limit dispelling reports that he would ask Clottey to agree to a catch-weight of 145 pounds just like he did in the title fight against Miguel Cotto.

Koncz told us there had been no indication from Pacquiao that he wanted to impose a catch-weight and even Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told us earlier in the week that the fight was agreed to at 147 pounds although Pacquiao generally comes in at around 144-145 pounds.

Pacquiao’s lawyer Franklin “Jeng” Gacal was one of those quoted as saying they would push for a catch-weight of 145 but this was expected to get a negative reaction from the foreign media and fight fans who generally frown on catch-weight arrangements pointing out that if a fighter is a champion in a particular weight division he must be prepared to fight at that weight."

Happy days.

I'm starting to wonder if Rickys comeback will be against Floyd you know....one last big payday then goodbye.

I hope not, hope he chooses a reasonably easy fight and then retires, it'd be the ultimate humiliation for him to lose to a glass jaw like Khan in his last fight.

I had considered that. Floyd would jump at the chance and Ricky seens to have convinced himself that he was in the fight.

Hopkins/Jones 2 is signed apparently

Why doesn't Jones just retire?

I thought that Aussie guy that beat Jones Jr was supposed to be fighting Hopkins anyway?

Mayweather should stay away from the Hitman aswell, he'll **** him up. Theres only onnnnnnne Ricky Hatton.....

:)

I'm starting to wonder if Rickys comeback will be against Floyd you know....one last big payday then goodbye.

I hope not, hope he chooses a reasonably easy fight and then retires, it'd be the ultimate humiliation for him to lose to a glass jaw like Khan in his last fight.

I had considered that. Floyd would jump at the chance and Ricky seens to have convinced himself that he was in the fight.

I thought that Aussie guy that beat Jones Jr was supposed to be fighting Hopkins anyway?

Mayweather should stay away from the Hitman aswell, he'll **** him up. Theres only onnnnnnne Ricky Hatton.....

Danny Green wants a 50/50 split. Hopkins won't come to Europe either (long story, I'm sure someone will get it) :lol:

RJJ won't retire because he just loves the sport. He might also have been knocked a little bit loopey and has some delusions.

Danny Green wants a 50/50 split. Hopkins won't come to Europe either (long story, I'm sure someone will get it) :lol:

RJJ won't retire because he just loves the sport. He might also have been knocked a little bit loopey and has some delusions.

Damn shame about Jones, the best fighter of my lifetime....I never ever thought I'd see him go downhill like this.

Mosley, Jones....

You really love those drugs cheats, don't you? :lol:

Jones only ever tested positive once to my knowledge, and so did his opponent, think it was for ripped fuel or something, hardly makes him a drugs cheat.

I'm actually of the opinion that 90% of boxers are drugs cheats anyway.

Moments ago, BoxingScene.com spoke to Keith Kizer, executive director for the Nevada State Athletic Comission, at the Maritosyan-Ouma final presser in Las Vegas. Kizer confirmed Bernard Hopkins-Roy Jones Jr. 2 for April 17th in Vegas and also saidm as far as he knows, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs TBA is still on for March 13th at the MGM Grand because Golden Boy is shooting for a June showdown between Mayweather and Shane Mosley [provided he beats Andre Berto] in Las Vegas.

Going by the information from Kizer, we can see why Mayweather can't move his date to April since Jones and Hopkins have April in Vegas tied up.

Spoke to Malignaggi on twitter last night, he really wants the Mayweather fight at welter and he said Khan has no intrest in fighting him as he "called him out".

Sw him saying that, "Malignaggi vs Mayweather, two guys who don't cheat, let's get it on!" :lol:

I'd love to see it tbh

Khan signs for Golden Boy... Malignaggi?

At the moment, DiBella isn't happy with Golden Boys proposal.

Like he says, Khan is currently a nobody whereas Paulie isn't. Surely Paulie should be making the demands.

Malignaggi isn't really that well know, well apart from in boxing circles, most know him as the person who's head Ricky Hatton caved in and had to have a hair cut mid fight!

:lol:

That doesnt alter the fact that Amir Khan holds the WBA world title though does it?

It would be a great fight. One where both fighters have a lot to gain from it, Paulie gets a shot at one of the world titles that is actually quite prestigious and Amir gets a name which puts him on the map in the USA. I think its a very interesting fight too. I think Paulie is perfect for Khan though, I think Khan is quick enough to negate the speed of Paulie and he has more than enough power to hurt him. Paulie on the other hand has something of an iron chin and he wont be an easy target for Khan to hit.

That doesnt alter the fact that Amir Khan holds the WBA world title though does it?

It would be a great fight. One where both fighters have a lot to gain from it, Paulie gets a shot at one of the world titles that is actually quite prestigious and Amir gets a name which puts him on the map in the USA. I think its a very interesting fight too. I think Paulie is perfect for Khan though, I think Khan is quick enough to negate the speed of Paulie and he has more than enough power to hurt him. Paulie on the other hand has something of an iron chin and he wont be an easy target for Khan to hit.

Of course not, doesn't change the fact he cherrypicked his way there either ;)

Spot on there. I think Khan would win.

Khan signs for Golden Boy... Malignaggi?

At the moment, DiBella isn't happy with Golden Boys proposal.

Like he says, Khan is currently a nobody whereas Paulie isn't. Surely Paulie should be making the demands.

:crylaugh:

The only way Paulie is better known than Khan is by being known for his mouth.

Khan may not be a big name outside the UK, but Paulie isn't some huge draw, and certainly isn't in a position to make demands of a world title holder.

Â