The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Still need to watch the Shumenov fight.

Paulie is mouthing off on twitter again, this time about Amir Khan

Khan:

"Won't b givin the belt up WBA needs me, maidana is no money fight risks but no rewards I'm goin 1 better goin for superfights v marquez"

"Tim bradley I need anova 2 fights iv not hit my peak, fully respect tim great fighter but not jus yet marquez o malanagi cambell Diaz I want"

"Look guy I never disrespect any opponent, bradley I wil fight later this yh, end this topic paulie u wan fight spk to goldenboy ."

"Look guys no joke here, I never trash talk, but the fight against Malignaggi - they have refused. Read the press on net. No point in talking big. I will come to Paulie's city to defeat him and put up the WBA title on May 15th. I have an HBO date. Let's get it on? Don't p**sy out. I will tell Golden Boy to call Lou DiBella."

Paulie:

"TELL AMIR KHAN TO AGREE TO THE CO-PROMOTION! SO HE CAN GET HIS ASS KICKED!! WE WILL NOT FIGHT ON SHOWS CONTROLLED BY GOLDEN BOY PROMTIONS"

"You shoudln't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw, you should watch your mouth cuz I'll break your face""

"NO MORE!! NEW YORK IS MY HOUSE!!!!! SO COME GET YOUR SELF SOME HOME MADE ASS KICKING KHAN..."

Earlier today, BoxingScene.com was contacted by promoter Gary Shaw, who had a lot to say after reading our story on the “Twitter” battle between junior welterweights Amir Khan and Paulie Malignaggi.

Khan is claiming that Malignaggi is avoiding a potential fight between the two of them, and Malignaggi is making the same claims about Khan. Shaw weighed in with a few comments of his own. He says Malignaggi is telling the truth, not Khan.

A few weeks ago, Shaw was negotiating with Khan’s former promoter Frank Warren to match the British champion against unbeaten WBC title holder Timothy Bradley. The two promoters were close to a deal, but it quickly went down the toilet when Khan signed a contract with Golden Boy Promotions. Shaw was turned down when he reached out to Golden Boy to make a Khan-Bradley fight.

“This morning I read with interest the story on BoxingScene about Malignaggi and Amir Khan going at it. I must tell you that factually Malignaggi is telling the truth as I tried to make a fight with Amir Khan and Tim Bradley and Golden Boy said ‘absolutely no chance,’ ‘no way’ - and I believe that’s the reason why Amir Khan refuses to fight [Marcos] Maidana – he’s scared,” Shaw said to BoxingScene.

Shaw questions the British champion’s heart. Khan’s mandatory is Marcos Maidana. The WBA ordered the fight but Khan is not likely to defend his title against Maidana in the month of May. Golden Boy would rather build some steam behind a Khan-Maidana meeting. The promotional company is attempting to finalize a fight between Khan and Juan Manuel Marquez. Shaw doesn’t buy it. He believes Amir Khan is afraid of Maidana, and Bradley, and any other fighter who presents a real danger.

“He’s scared of Maidana. He’s scared of Tim Bradley. What champion do you know is willing to give up his title to fight someone else with no title? And I believe Amir Khan is a fraud. And I’ll believe it until he accepts the challenge to fight Tim Bradley. Until that happens I will continue to say he’s a fraud. We’ll even go back to England to fight him so he feels comfortable, warm and fuzzy in his own country,” Shaw said.

Amir Con = Fraud. Ducking everyone and trying to pick a fight with a bloated, middle age Marquez. Reminds me of Calzaghe actually.

errrr reminds me of pussy mayweather picking a fight with a bloated,middle age marquez!!!

Amir Con = Fraud. Ducking everyone and trying to pick a fight with a bloated, middle age Marquez. Reminds me of Calzaghe actually.

errrr reminds me of pussy mayweather picking a fight with a bloated,middle age marquez!!!

Pussies fight Shane Mosley? Fight DLH at 154? Take on undefeated fighters such as Hatton when he was prime?

Pussies back out of a fight over drug testing?? They're either pussy or on something, there's no other excuse. Pussies also don't say "Shane Mosley is too good to fight Pacquiao" which Roach said this morning. They also don't duck Marcos Maidana or do the dirty on Frank Warren (even though he is a bit of a scumbag).

The only real fighters from The Wildcard are Ola & Rigo 8)

Those morons have really pissed me off today, must be the Pactards on ESB being their usual blinkered self.

"Trainer Freddie Roach says WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan will bust up Juan Manuel Marquez in the same fashion as he did Marco Antonio Barrera last year. Khan is close to a deal to fight Marquez on May 15 in Las Vegas. Roach told Gareth Davies of The Telegraph that Khan will break Marquez up.

“This is the right fight at the right time for Amir. Yes, Marquez is dangerous, but Amir will do to him what he did to Marco Antonio Barrera in Manchester last year. He’ll break him up,” Roach said.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer sees big things for Khan. He says a win over Marquez will assist Khan in a big way to make his mark in America.

“It’s a dangerous fight, but it’s a ‘high risk-high reward’ strategy. If you want to capture the American market this is the way to do it, by beating the best current, active No 1 Mexican fighter out there. Win, and Amir makes his mark in the United States,” Schaefer said. "

Khan planning to wait until Marquez is cut then?

Most likely.

I was discussing this with the old man earlier... Was Hatton right not to fight Junior Witter back in the day?

'Right' in what sense?

Right as in Witter couldn't draw his own family as a crowd or right as in Hatton would have lost?

By Rick Reeno

This past Tuesday, I broke the news regarding an agreement being reached for a junior welterweight slugfest between WBA interim-champion Marcos Maidana and unbeaten Victor Cayo, which is scheduled for March 27 on HBO.

I received a shocking phone call Wednesday night from promoter Gary Shaw, who is currently in Mexico for this Saturday's Showtime card that features Edwin Valero vs. Antonio DeMarco. Shaw wanted to know if I had heard, or had any information, regarding the industry chatter with respect to the contract terms for the Maidana-Cayo fight. Prior to Shaw's phone call, I heard strange rumblings about the contract terms in question.

Shaw made a very good financial offer to Golden Boy for a fight between Maidana and WBC champion Timothy Bradley and they turned it down. He found the entire situation strange because there was good money involved, and a major title, but his curiosity was really poked when he, like me, began to hear some very strange rumors throughout the day.

From what Shaw had heard from several friends in the industry, there is a very interesting contract clause connected to the Maidana-Cayo fight. What is the clause you ask? Basically the winner has to stay away from WBA 140-pound champion Amir Khan for a period of twelve months or three fights - whichever comes first.

I'm sure some people are asking - "Why would the winner agree to that?" Well, there is a good answer for that. Several sources told BoxingScene the winner would receive a guarantee for a certain number of future HBO appearances [i heard at least two dates] and they don't come easy these days.

I decided to call several people insiders, and sure enough, everyone had heard the same exact thing.

One major promoter told BoxingScene.com - "I can't believe HBO is negotiating step-asides for Amir Khan. Are they a network or a promotional company?"

Another major promoter said - "Why are you surprised? Do you really think Golden Boy Promotions and HBO want Khan to lose any time soon? Look at Khan's fight with Marquez. Both of them are with Golden Boy and you can see the favoritism for Khan to win in their comments to the press. They did the same thing to Barrera and that's why he left."

Shaw doesn't know if the industry chatter is true, but everyone is talking about it. From my end, I called several promoters and well-connected managers and all of them had knowledge of these rumors. You know the old saying - where there's smoke, there's fire.

"It's very strange. I tried to make a fight for Bradley with Maidana and Amir Khan. They both refused which is highly unusual because there was good money involved and they would fight the number one junior welterweight in the world for the WBC title. If this is supposed to be HBO's next superstar [Khan], then how does he turn down a fight with the best 140-pounder in the world? If they don't want to fight Bradley, Vic Darchinyan is available," Shaw said.

By Mark Vester

The World Boxing Association made an official statement regarding the controversy between the light heavyweight fight between Beibut Shumenov and Gabriel Campillo, which was held on January 29 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

"Any dispute should be analyzed with great discretion. Boxing is a subjective sport and therefore we are making efforts to train our judges under a standard criteria, "said Gilberto Jesus Mendoza, vice president of WBA.

The fight was won by Shumenov, by split decision, in which the judges gave the following scores - Patricia Jarman 117-111 and Jerry Roth 115-113 in favor of Sumenov. While, Campillo was favored by Levi Martinez 117-111. The WBA only approved one of the three judges, and that judge was Martinez who scored the fight for Campillo.

"Unfortunately the Muhammad Ali Act, passed by the U.S. Congress and implemented in jurisdictions where the main fights are conducted for WBA World Championships, they are free to approve and appoint the officials for the fight. We are not trying to generate controversy but our judges attend seminars every year to upgrade to reduce the possibility of controversy and do justice in the ring."

"In this fight, only Levi Martinez was accepted by the WBA. For this reason, the WBA in pursuit of our mission for justice, decided to request a video review by our official international committee. Having studied the status of the division and the results obtained from the analysis, we will make a decision. This can happen in the next 15 days or so, for this reason I prefer not to discuss any topic concerning the fight."

Terrible.

Oh, and Sugar Sam Peter is suing Don King and Dino Duva

Â