The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Can anyone recommend any Boxing films to watch?

I'm planning to watch "Facing Ali" tomorrow.

"When We Were Kings", the documentary about the Ali-Foreman "Rumble in the Jungle" in Zaire. Fascinating, riveting, intense.....the drama behind the scenes during the run up to the fight was wild. Then they had the concert with James Brown, BB King, the NY salsa outfit Fania All-Stars...the whole thing was awesome...check it out.

Moments ago, ESPN boxing analyst Teddy Atlas revealed that a source informed him, about 2 or 3 weeks ago, that he [the source] saw emails from the Pacquiao camp that were sent to the Mayweather camp asking that if dirty test results came up, could they be kept a secret "for the benefit of boxing". This latest revelation from Atlas is similar to a story that was previously written by Tim Smith of the New York Daily News, who also cited "a source familiar with the talks". Although that article, originally released on December 25th, was later denied by Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, Atlas is now bringing it back to light.

"From what I understand, Mayweather's people were willing to make a concession where it would be 2 weeks away where he would have enough time, if that was really the fear, that it seems like that could have been overcome," Atlas explained when asked what he thought about the collapse of the megafight. He then proceeded to reveal the following insider information that, according to Atlas, is a very reliable source that he trusts fully:

"Look, my thing that I can add to this, again, from sources that told me, they said that people in the Pacquiao camp sent a couple of emails to the Mayweather camp a few weeks ago, about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and the first email was, 'What would the penalty be if our guy tested positive?' The second email was, 'If he did test positive, could we keep this a secret for the benefit of boxing?' Now again, I don't know, other than my source, who I trust, told me that he saw those emails. Now I also know that Tim Smith, the columnist from the Daily News, reported on the same thing that I just said. Now, if that's true, again, that doesn't prove anything definitively, but you just wonder why those questions were being asked."

If this is true, one can see why Mayweather was standing firm on his stance for random blood testing, not that it proves anything, but for a man who was already suspicious, seeing emails like that wouldn't exactly put his mind at ease.

Feel it deserves to go in both threads.

Atlas FTW! 8)

I'VE written before about the use of Human Growth Hormone by boxers - a highly relevant topic given the current row between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.

Their fight has fallen apart because Mayweather wants Pacquiao to undergo the same kind of drug tests that Olympic athletes are subject to, including blood samples.

Pacquiao says he is happy to conform to The Nevada State Athletic Commission's regulation to give urine and three blood samples - two before the fight and one after it - but believes that having too much blood taken shortly before the fight will unfairly weaken him.

Manny has never been caught for doping offences and there is no suggestion whatsoever that he is guilty of any wrongdoing.

But he is suing Mayweather's camp for defamation, saying they alleged he took performance-enhancing drugs.

The use of growth hormone could be an increasing problem within boxing.

There is a strong rumour one British fighter - and his trainer - have been taking it.

HGH, a naturally-occurring substance, adds bulk if taken in excessive amounts and is seen by some idiots as the perfect pill for fighters who want to move quickly into higher weight divisions.

The British Boxing Board of Control get a lot of things right when it comes to protecting the safety and interests of boxers, and I'd like to see fighters randomly tested for HGH.

As for Mayweather-Pacquiao, there have been reports in the last few days that the fight is definitely dead in the water, despite arbitration involving a retired judge.

Don't be surprised if the fight gets resurrected sometime in 2010 though - there's too much money on the table for it not to happen.

However, I do have a feeling Mayweather is using this controversy to avoid Pacquiao.

Talking of Pacquiao, he was the second most-searched-for person on Yahoo last year, just behind Jennifer Lopez.

That's always a good place to be!

AMIR KHAN'S mandatory WBA light-welterweight title defence against Argentinian Marcos Maidana will go to purse bids this week after those involved couldn't come to an agreement.

I HEAR May 31 has been pencilled in for Ricky Hatton's comeback. The Hitman has not fought since losing to Manny Pacquiao last May.

Go on Warren, spill the beans! :lol:

I know who....

It's still not even shown that HGH actually increases performance. It can help with injury avoidance and recovery, but it doesn't seem to actually aid in strength.

It's mostly used by bodybuilders because it makes muscle mass more visible as it reduced subcutaneous fat, but it doesn't actually increase strength. It could probably used to cut non-lean mass to make a weight, but it's not going to make someone into superman, and many trials have actually shown it decreases performance due to a decrease in stamina, and none have actually shown it increases muscle mass at all.

If Pac is on designer PEDs I really don't think it would be HGH as it's really got little benefit for him.

It's still not even shown that HGH actually increases performance. It can help with injury avoidance and recovery, but it doesn't seem to actually aid in strength.

It's mostly used by bodybuilders because it makes muscle mass more visible as it reduced subcutaneous fat, but it doesn't actually increase strength. It could probably used to cut non-lean mass to make a weight, but it's not going to make someone into superman, and many trials have actually shown it decreases performance due to a decrease in stamina, and none have actually shown it increases muscle mass at all.

If Pac is on designer PEDs I really don't think it would be HGH as it's really got little benefit for him.

If he is on HGH, it'd still aid his recovery so he can train more. And the increase in neck mass to absorb them punches.

Still illegal

Aid his recovery at the expense of stamina though, what boxer is going to want to compromise their stamina when they have to go toe to toe with someone for 18 rounds? Many tests have shown that whilst you will recover faster from injury using it whilst training means you have reduced capacity for exercise, so you'd actually lose out long term.

Using it post fight for a faster recovery would obviously make that a non-issue though, but also wouldn't show up in any pre-fight testing.

The punch resistance though is a good point, HGH increases connective tissue, which I guess could translate quite easily into increased punch resistance, but I still doubt if that's worth the reduction in stamina.

Sure it's still illegal, but the benefits of it aren't anywhere near as high as people make out.

There is a strong rumour one British fighter - and his trainer - have been taking it.

Well one things for sure, it's definately going to be someone Warren doesn't promote, despite the fact that Khan is in Pacs camp and is in my opinion almost certainly taking something :)

My money would be on Froch or Haye but I'm not sure why the trainer would be taking the stuff too...

Well one things for sure, it's definately going to be someone Warren doesn't promote, despite the fact that Khan is in Pacs camp and is in my opinion almost certainly taking something :)

My money would be on Froch or Haye but I'm not sure why the trainer would be taking the stuff too...

Because Adam Booth's a vain word removed?

He's blatantly hinting at those two.

If he is on HGH, it'd still aid his recovery so he can train more. And the increase in neck mass to absorb them punches.

A good chin has nothing to do with neck muscles. Most trainers would say the legs are more important than the neck. And most boxers would tell you it's about your mind set, not anything physical.

Because Adam Booth's a vain word removed?

He's blatantly hinting at those two.

A good chin has nothing to do with neck muscles. Most trainers would say the legs are more important than the neck. And most boxers would tell you it's about your mind set, not anything physical.

I do really believe in the whole 'mindset' thing. If you go in there thinking 'oh shit, what if I can't take these punches?' then you're getting KTFO. If you go in there thinking '**** this guy, I won't let myself be hurt' (Without just thinking this and fighting like a moron) then you won't get hurt too much. I still think the neck plays a small part though.

It has to be Haye and Booth IMO

Cotto vs Foreman is likely for the summer. Could be to soon for Cotto.

Anyone know where is the best place to find out about upcoming Boxing events and buying tickets for them?

http://www.boxrec.com/

Can be used for looking for upcoming events. There is sometimes ticket info aswell. If there's no ticket info, then a quick Google search should help.

Always get ticketmaster and the like when I google search I am really looking for the sort of events like Friday fight night, so more localised not the big fights.

Will have another gander though, cheers.

EDIT That link is pretty much spot on.

The sides are no longer talking, last-minute attempts to strike a compromise appear to be futile, and Manny Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, says he's three hours away from finalizing a site deal with Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to stage an alternative Pacquiao fight at the team's stadium on March 13.

"If Bob's so strongly moving to the other fight, then we have no choice but to move on," Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s promoter Richard Schaefer told The Times this morning. "They didn't want the fight."

Mayweather and Pacquiao failed to strike a deal because of their dispute over blood testing for performance-enhancing drugs. Pacquiao, who has sued Mayweather for alleged defamation because of public statements made implying the Filipino star has used those drugs, won't accept a blood test closer than 24 days before the fight. Mayweather wants the fighters to be subject to blood tests up to 14 days before the fight. A Pacquiao advisor said the fighter himself has rejected the 14-day proposal.

Arum flatly said today that "the horse has left the building," in reference to a Mayweather fight, and instead was enthused to discuss his plans for Pacquiao's March 13 fight against welterweight contender Joshua Clottey. Clottey lost a decision last year to Miguel Cotto, who later lost to Pacquiao by 12th-round TKO in November.

"This place [Cowboys Stadium] is absolutely sensational; the boxing fans will love it," Arum said. "I can't even properly describe it without sounding crazy."

Arum attended Saturday night's Cowboys-Philadelphia Eagles game in Jones' private suite, a gathering that placed the liberal promoter in the same box as former President George W. Bush and conservative talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh.

"They both love Pacquiao, and [bush] said he'll come to the fight if his schedule allows," Arum said.

Arum said Pacquiao will earn a minimum $10 million for the Clottey bout, with seating capacity being placed at 50,000.

Meanwhile, the Mayweather camp is considering its options for March 13 and beyond.

Take a fight at MGM Grand against someone liker Paulie Malignaggi? Wait until a later date, like May 1, and fight longtime rival Shane Mosley if he defeats Andre Berto on Jan. 30?

Schaefer said Mayweather is willing to fight Mosley, a pairing that will conclude years of jawing between the two gifted foes that have long been near the top of the world's top pound-for-pound lists. Mosley is currently a world welterweight champion.

"At 147 pounds, the man to beat is 'Sugar' Shane Mosley," Schaefer said. "Floyd will take that fight, and will shut up all those who are saying he's a coward."

Coward? Ducker? GTFO 8)

Pacquiao V Mosley would be something to behold....but Pac doesn't like fighting fast guys.

Funny how everyone claims Floyd avoids punchers but no-one lays this accusation at Pac, Mosley is the obvious fight for him if you ask me but it hasn't happened. I think Mosley has a better than 50% chance of beating both Pac and Mayweather right now.

Pacquiao V Mosley would be something to behold....but Pac doesn't like fighting fast guys.

Funny how everyone claims Floyd avoids punchers but no-one lays this accusation at Pac, Mosley is the obvious fight for him if you ask me but it hasn't happened. I think Mosley has a better than 50% chance of beating both Pac and Mayweather right now.

You think he'd be favourite? :shock:

You think he'd be favourite? :shock:

Of course I don't....what the bookies say and what I say are 2 different things, and they often get it badly wrong in boxing. Hence my nice little 66-1 odds for Mayweather to KO Hatton 8)

I still kick myself for not taking the 200-1 on Khan getting knocked out in the first by Prescott by the way....that's how wrong the bookies can be.

I'd give Mayweather a better chance against Mosley by the way, having a good defence or being physically bigger than Mosley are pretty much essential - Pac has neither advantage in this case.

Â