The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Former BALCO founder Victor Conte, regarded as one of the leading experts on performance enhancing drugs, believes Floyd Mayweather Jr. is justified in requesting random Olympic style drug testing for a potential fight with Manny Pacquiao.

Conte appeared on BoxingScene.com's official audio show, Leave It In The Ring Radio, and gave his thoughts on the Mayweather-Pacquiao drug testing debate. Negotiations for Mayweather-Pacquiao fell apart earlier this year because the two fighters were unable to agree on the cut-off date for the random drug testing. The fight is back on the table and currently being negotiated for a tentative November date.

Until the BALCO lab was raided in 2003, Conte had a four year run of helping major athletes beat the system by taking performance enhancing drugs and then showing them how to avoid detection.

Conte finds Pacquiao's rise in the sport "suspicious" - because of the many weight divisions that he crossed, while keeping his physical strengths, and his infamous ability to train hard for five to six hours a day during training camp. Pacquiao is the first seven division champion in the history of the sport. He began fighting as a teenager at 106-pounds and now campaigns as the WBO welterweight champion.

"At the very least I would say it's highly suspicious," Conte said, "Going up that many weight divisions and not only maintaining but increasing the strength and power. It's just not something you see. Is he possibly just a genetic freak? I guess that's possible, but its certainly highly suspicious."

"Moving up five or six weight classes and becoming faster and more powerful, yet [staying] very lean. Without the use of performance enhancing drugs....just the stories I hear alone about training for five or six hours a day....you just can't do that."

"It's just rumors at this point, but I think there is certainly reason to target test."

Conte :thumb:

"Let me tell you something man, Pacquiao wouldn't even fight Mosley at 140," remarked world-class trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr., who sounded extremely doubtful that a clash between his son and Manny Pacquiao would come to fruition any time soon. In a recent conversation with FightHype.com, Mayweather Sr. continued his verbal assault on the Filipino icon. "Lil Floyd dominated him at 147, so if you're afraid to fight Mosley where he would be a dead man, what you gonna do with Floyd," he added, using Mayweather's dominance over future Hall of Famer Shane Mosley as a barometer for what his son will do to Pacquiao should the two ever step into the ring.

The fact that Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, is on record stating that he purposely turned down a fight with Mosley because he's "too good a fighter", leads Mayweather Sr. to believe that Team Pacquiao isn't negotiating in good faith and is reluctant to face Mayweather after his dominant win over Shane Mosley this past May. "Man, Shane would have been a zombie at 40 and Roach still wouldn't step up to the plate and fight him," Mayweather Sr. added, quick to remind everyone that Pacquiao turned down an opportunity to face Mosley, the WBA welterweight champion at the time and widely recognized as the top fighter in the division, at 140 pounds. Pacquiao instead chose to fight Miguel Cotto, the WBO welterweight champion at the time, at a catch-weight of 145 pounds.

Although both sides have kept quiet regarding negotiations for a potential showdown, Mayweather Sr. is of the opinion that there isn't going to be a fight unless Pacquiao is willing to agree to their initial terms, including the issue of random blood testing. "Pacquiao don't want to fight Lil Floyd! If he did, he could make it happen," Mayweather remarked, hinting that Team Mayweather's stance hasn't changed and that the ball is still in Team Pacquiao's court. Whether or not they're any closer to making the fight a reality than they were last December remains to be seen, but judging from Floyd Mayweather Sr.'s comments, it doesn't sound like it.

Crazy Floyd :thumb:

Riddick Bowe Approaches Lennox Lewis For a Showdown

Former undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, Riddick Bowe, claims that he recently approached his career rival Lennox Lewis with the idea of having a fight where the money would go to charity. Bowe says Lewis turned down the request. Since Lewis refused the fight, Bowe would have interest in fighting either Wladimir or Vitali Klitschko.

The former champion has not fought since December 2008. Several fights have been scheduled since then. They never go through as the 44-year-old ex-champion always seems to withdraw from them. He was rivals with Lewis during his entire career. The two fought as amateurs but never as pros.

"I would love to return to the ring for a fight with Lennox Lewis. We offered him the fight where the proceeds would go to charity, but he refused. Since Lewis does not want to fight me then I would like to get a chance to fight with one of the Klitschko brothers," Bowe said.

He denies the pending rumors in the press of requesting a third fight with Andrew Golota. "No, I don't want to fight him again."

Misleading title :angry:

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and John Duddy made weight without issues for Saturday's clash for the WBC' silver middleweight title. Chavez-Duddy headlines Top Rank's Latin Fury 15 pay-per-view from the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. Chavez Jr. weighed the division limit at 160-pounds, and Duddy was a pound under at 159. Both fighters were in excellent shape.

Marco Antonio Barrera, fighting for the first time since the loss to Amir Khan from March 2009, weighed in at 141-pounds. The tough Brazilian, Adailton De Jesus, was 138-pounds. There appeared to be some controversy on the stage with the camps of both fighters. The fight was set for a max weight of 138. A deal was struck between both sides, with De Jesus receiving a couple of extra bucks, for the fight to get a weight bump to 141.

Speaking with the Derby Telegraph, WBA heavyweight champion David Haye denied recent reports that he was scheduled to fight countryman Audley Harrison on November 13. Haye is still trying to speak with the Klitschko team for a fight with either WBC champion Vitali Klitschko or WBO/IBO/IBF champion Wladimir Klitschko.

Other reports contradict Haye's statements to the paper. Vitali appears to be in serious talks for a fight with Nikolai Valuev and Wladimir is negotiating a mandatory fight against Alexander Povetkin. Harrison's promoter Eddie Hearn and Haye's manager Adam Booth have confirmed speaking with each other about a potential all-British showdown in the fall.

"I haven't talked to Audley's team, to be honest. I've read it in numerous newspapers but I don't take any notice of that. I looked on one of the boxing websites the other day and they even had a date for the fight. That made me laugh," Haye said.

"At the moment, we're talking to the Klitschkos, trying to make that deal. Audley's just trying to get some headlines. If, by some miracle, I ended up in the same ring as him, I think everybody with half a brain cell would know what the result would be. I would go out there and mince him."

Haye's plan is to fight both of the Klitschkos, beat them, and then retire by the end of 2011.

"The way I see it, I've got to beat both of them at some stage. They have different strengths and different assets, so I'd have to treat each fight differently but both are fighters I feel I could beat. Even if I was to beat both of them, there would be someone else. There always is," Haye said.

"I've always said I would retire at the end of next year. I started boxing when I was 10 and said then I would retire from boxing when I was 30 and that's still the time restraint I've set myself."

We'll see...

Hope that is the truth....if he still goes ahead and fights Harrison I'll be majorly disappointed in the guy.

Time will tell I guess, but I reckon this Vitaly/Valuev thing is bollocks and Haye will be fighting Vitaly next - and from what I've seen in his last few fights, Haye will box his ears off and stop him in the mid rounds.

Chavez Jr. UD - 120-108, 116-112, 117-111

Good performance from Chavez, worth a watch. Not ready for the Cotto's and Martinez's that have been mentioned. Foreman would be a good fight though.

Gabby 1(1)-0 [2pts]

Me 1(0)-0 [1pts]

A prediction league with two people :lol::lol:

Also TWI, White Ralph Lauren big (blue) pony with the 3 on the side in a medium. In today - interested? 8)

• 3 weeks later...

Bit late to the party on this one, but Frankie Gavin is fighting ex Bluenose Curtis Woodhouse at the NEC in September? I know Woodhouse quit professional football to take up pro boxing, but wow, what an interesting fight!

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update for anyone who cares.

David Haye - Reportedly rejected a 50/50 offer from Wlad Klit because Haye wanted all of the Sky PPV money from the fight, as the Klit's aren't a draw over here, and he isn't over there. Has also said this week that he will decide on his next opponent in a 'couple of weeks'. Possible opponents include Audley Harrison ( :lol: ), Alexander Povetkin and Tomasz Adamek.

Amir Khan - Is hoping to fight Juan Manuel Marquez in December providing Marquez vacates his lightweight title and moves up to 140. Marquez is expected to move up as he is hoping to become the first Mexican 4 weight world champion. If a fight with Marquez doesn't come off Khan could face his mandatory Marcos Maidana ( :shock: ). Meanwhile, his 2 main rivals at 140, Bradley and Alexander, are looking like they will be fighting eachother in January.

Carl Froch - Will fight Arthur Abraham in Monaco on October 2nd. If he wins he will go into the next stage of the 'Super 6' and could face Andre Ward, Andre Dirrell or a rematch with Mikkel Kessler who he lost to in a close decision in April.

Floyd & Pac - Nothing happening with this at the moment. Floyd has been spending time with Don King lately and Bob Arum seems to think him and King could get the fight on given the chance. Meanwhile, Pacquiao will face cheat Antonio Margarito on Nov13 at 150lbs.

Ricky Hatton - Despite throwing himself into promoting lately has renewed his Boxing license fuelling rumours of a potential comeback :(

Rendall Munroe - 'The boxing binman' will face Toshiaki Nishioka in Tokyo on October 24 for the WBC Super Bantamweight title.

The Magnificent 7 - Huge card from Frank Warren taking place at the NEC on September 18 which features a world title eliminator, three European title fights, two British title fights plus two championship showdowns for two 2008 Olympians. It is also going to be available on Sky PPV.

That's all for now, kids.

The Magnificent 7 - Huge card from Frank Warren taking place at the NEC on September 18 which features a world title eliminator, three European title fights, two British title fights plus two championship showdowns for two 2008 Olympians. It is also going to be available on Sky PPV.

That's all for now, kids.

Cant wait for this, being looking forward to Brook & Jennings for what seems like years now. :thumb:

Â