The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

The Magnificent 7 - Huge card from Frank Warren taking place at the NEC on September 18 which features a world title eliminator, three European title fights, two British title fights plus two championship showdowns for two 2008 Olympians. It is also going to be available on Sky PPV.

That's all for now, kids.

Cant wait for this, being looking forward to Brook & Jennings for what seems like years now. :thumb:

Yeah, it should be good. Barker-Macklin is the one I'm most looking forward too though.

• 2 weeks later...

Kessler has pulled out of the Super 6 with an eye injury.

Kalle Sauerland has said "Disapointing news. Mikkell Kessler has pulled out of the Super Six. His career is not over but he will not be able to fight for a year. Professor Gerhard Lang Ulm, eyedoctor, confirmed yesterday that rest will lead to full recovery. Kessler suffered of problems with his vision. Muscle in his left eye injured. Kessler can train but no sparring or fighting for the next 9 months. He hopes to fight the winner of the Super 6 when he returns next year"

Froch vs Abraham is expected to be for the now vacant WBC title.

Ken Hershamn (Vice President of Showtime Sports):

“We will publicly address how this turn of events affects the tournament in the coming days. I assure you we will make the best of this scenario. In fact, I have been aware of Mikkel’s situation for a few days and I have a vision for how we can proceed that will enhance the excitement of the tournament. First, I must have some internal discussions but mark my words, the drama of the Super Six will be unrelenting and we will crown a champion in the early part of 2011.”

Judging by the last part, it looks like Froch vs Abraham and Ward vs Dirrell will be Semi-Finals and Green will be dropped from the tournament.

• 2 weeks later...
As soon as we come off vacation, we're going to cook that little yellow chump. We ain't worried about that. So they ain't gotta worry about me fighting the midget. Once I kick the midget ass, I don't want you all to jump on my d---. So you all better get on the bandwagon now. ... Once I stomp the midget, I'll make that mother f----- make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice.

Darren Barker has pulled out of his Magnificent 7 fight with Matthew Macklin with a hip injury. Macklin will now face Georgian Shalva Jomardashvili for the vacant European Middleweight title. Ryan Rhodes has also pulled out of his bout with Lukas Konecny with a back injury and will be replaced by Matthew Hall.

It is looking more and more likely that David Haye will face Audley Harrison in the MEN Arena on November 13. It is expected to be paired with Manny Pacquiao's fight against Antonio Margarito on Sky Box Office.

Regarding Khan-Maidana:

I talked to Khan's attorney and I made him an offer for Khan to fight Maidana and I am waiting to hear back. HBO made an offer for the fight, and based on that offer, I also went to Maidana and I'm waiting for his response, but it looks good." England's Khan probably will take some time to finalize the fight as he is doing relief work in flood-ravaged Pakistan, where his family is from. HBO's offer for Khan-Maidana, according to a source, is $2 million if it takes place in the United States, $1.75 million if it's in England, but live in U.S. prime time and $750,000 if it's in England and airs on tape-delay in U.S. prime time. Schaefer wouldn't comment on the figures. If Victor Ortiz defeats Vivian Harris on Sept. 18, he could appear on the undercard. Ortiz also fought on Khan's undercard in May as Golden Boy builds toward a possible showdown.

Boxing on Sky returns tomorrow night with Ricky Burns' shot at Roman Martinez's WBO title. John Simpson faces Stephen Smith on the undercard.

:thumb:

That Mayweather quote sounds a bit racist!

Not only racist but ignorant as **** too (I guess the two go hand in hand anyway) He's talking about getting a man from the Phillipines to prepare Japanese food for him, what a berk.

If he'd said he was going to use his purse to buy Pac's 10 year old sister and pimp her out to Gary Glitter, then that would have been an amusing, geographically correct racist remark.

Not that I'm condoning it, mind. I'm no Alan Minter.

Haye not fighting either Klitschko, They want his 50% of the German money but aren't willing to give him their 50% of the British money in return.

Wlad is going to jab Sammy Peter until he retires from his stool while Vitali has got a tougher test in Shannon Briggs (who is basically David Haye in a wide screen slo mo). Haye looks like he'll fight the A-Force. *triple sigh*

Was it just my giddy childhood naivety that made the 90s HW division seem exciting and dynamic or is this just a dismally conservative, talent starved era?

It's become saturated and americanised like every other sport the money men get their way with. If you want to watch good boxing then stay away from the sky/hbo wankfests and go see the real thing at a local-ish level.

Football will end up the same way in a few years, it's hitting its peak now like Boxing did a few years ago, it'll implode and become dull and decisions will be based solely on money and non-competitive reasons.

Klitschko's own the world title. You want it. You fight on their terms. If you're happy you're going to win it makes no difference.

Fighting Audley == pussy.

This! When was the last time someone turned down 50/50 (near enough anyway) from the HW champ?

Close fight between Simpson and Smith there. Smith taking the title by a SD. One of the judges somehow having Smith 116-112. I thought Simpson just edged it.

Martinez-Burns coming up now...

I think both sides are wrong on this one tbh. I say 40/40 with the other 20 going to the winner. The whole 'all up front' pay structure is shitty IMO.

PS - CED, local level boxing, IMHO, is boring as fook. I go and watch live about once a month but that's just to pacify my boxing fanboy friends so they'll come and watch more dynamic combat sports. My interest in boxing is purely for the technical and athletic sides of the sport. I like to watch boxers with good balance, power, footwork, cardio, reactions, combinations, game plans etc. compete against boxers with a similarly highly developed skill set. My insensitivity to violence means watching someone in my local community bar/hall try to beat a 10 count after being hit with the same 3 punch combination for 3 rounds doesn't really do it for me.

Â