The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Didn't know that

But from what I read it seems the Klits are masters of the dodge, I assumed that's what was happening here

Don't agree with that tbh, Rob. There hasn't been anyone to dodge in the heavyweight division reallly, and to be fair to Vitali he was desperate for a rematch with Lewis.

That loss to Lewis is still the most impressive thing on his record, which just about sums it up really :P

Arguments still rage on ESB about that rematch. Call me old fashioned and all that but if the champion turns your face into mincemeat in 6 rounds then you really can't whine about not getting a rematch, especially when the champion is not far off 40 years old :)

He was up on the scorecards though so they do have a point. I don't see why the champ should be looked upon badly for retiring when he was in the worst shape of his career though. What makes me laugh is that they seem to think him being up on the cards equals a victory :lol:

Yeah. It's insane. The talk of a rematch is insane too, I mean I am pretty sure I could knock seven bells of shit out of Muhummad Ali if we had a fight tomorrow. Doesn't mean I am better than he was, does it?

Oh, and for the Haye vs Wlad: David gives his side of the story on his Youtube channel. It's odd how Haye was saying he would fight for free not so long back because he only cared about his legacy and winning the title and now it's all about money.

The Klits are rubbish aren't they? I reckon Haye will hammer both of 'em if they ever grow a pair

Wlad Klitschko, the lineal heavyweight champion, offered Haye 50/50 and he turned it down to fight Harrison. Who needs to grow a pair?

This 'lineal' shit means nothing to be honest, and I'm not sure Wlad even is that but I can't be bothered to check. There's so many stupid belts these days...

However if Haye is ducking Klitschko and waiting for him to get old then that's a bit of a words removed trick normally, but considering Klitschkos history of fighting shot fighters I wouldn't hold it against Haye too much in this instance.

If I were Haye I'd be champing at the bit to get the man into the ring though, he (Klitschko) looked awful last night.

Didn't know that

But from what I read it seems the Klits are masters of the dodge, I assumed that's what was happening here

Don't agree with that tbh, Rob. There hasn't been anyone to dodge in the heavyweight division reallly, and to be fair to Vitali he was desperate for a rematch with Lewis.

That loss to Lewis is still the most impressive thing on his record, which just about sums it up really :P

Arguments still rage on ESB about that rematch. Call me old fashioned and all that but if the champion turns your face into mincemeat in 6 rounds then you really can't whine about not getting a rematch, especially when the champion is not far off 40 years old :)

He was up on the scorecards though so they do have a point. I don't see why the champ should be looked upon badly for retiring when he was in the worst shape of his career though. What makes me laugh is that they seem to think him being up on the cards equals a victory :lol:

They actually have no point whatsoever, I could name dozens of fights where fighters lost while being down on the cards and there was no rematch. The one that springs immediately to mind is Tyson V Botha, Tyson lost every minute of that fight until he nailed Botha and no-one said anything. It's not who wins the battles it's who wins the war and Lewis despite his age and conditioning just beat the living shit out of Vitaly that night.

Lewis was also down 4-2 on the cards when he stopped Bruno, no rematch, no crying from Bruno or his fans. To be honest the cards in that Klitschko fight are a bit crap if you ask me, I had it 3-3 and could make a reasonable argument for 4-2 to Lewis.

The Klits are rubbish aren't they? I reckon Haye will hammer both of 'em if they ever grow a pair
Wlad Klitschko, the lineal heavyweight champion, offered Haye 50/50 and he turned it down to fight Harrison. Who needs to grow a pair?
He didn't offer him 50-50. Haye asked for 50-50 and was offered 50-50 on everything except Germany where Klit wanted 100%. So Haye offered 50-50 but Klit takes the German money and Haye takes the British money
The only place I've seen that offered as a version of the story is in a haye interview with the sun. Other stories have slightly different lines including Vitali saying a 50/50 deal for worldwide revenue was on the table. So it's a little confused.

Even if they had agreed, Haye would have developed a bad back again.

It's true that Haye having a bad back was nonsense for the fight with Wlad last year but the real reason the fight didn't happen was because Setanta went bust, and that's where the majority of Haye's money was coming from.

I'll give Haye the benefit of the doubt on that one but he's not covering himself in glory with the Harrison fight that's for **** sure. If he doesn't fight one of the Klitschkos in the next 12 months then yeah he's going to look pretty stupid.

This 'lineal' shit means nothing to be honest, and I'm not sure Wlad even is that but I can't be bothered to check. There's so many stupid belts these days...

However if Haye is ducking Klitschko and waiting for him to get old then that's a bit of a words removed trick normally, but considering Klitschkos history of fighting shot fighters I wouldn't hold it against Haye too much in this instance.

If I were Haye I'd be champing at the bit to get the man into the ring though, he (Klitschko) looked awful last night.

The Ring is the only one I'll give any credibility to. Hence why I didn't mention his bullshit IBO strap (which he seems to love :?) or any others. You'll have to take my word that he is. Surely even you can't deny that he currently deserves that.

In the Peter fight I could see some good signs for Haye. I'm pretty sure he would have no problems getting under the jab. Even Peter was for the first 2 rounds.

Talking of Lewis, I love

knockdown.

Was a cracker, Rainer. Frank wanted him to fight a smarter fight rather than swinging and leaving himself open to shots against someone who had been considered a puncher.

Naz is a right porker :lol: A couple of quotes from him:

"The second coming of Naz is here...I know that's high praise" Modest as ever

"You know who I want to see him in with?... Manny Pacquiao...I see Kell knocking Pacquiao out"

Â