The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Promoter Lou DiBella has advised BoxingScene.com that he made a serious offer to Golden Boy Promotions for a catch-weight bout between WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez and former two division champion Shane Mosley. Martinez is willing to defend his title against Mosley at the lowest possible catch-weight, 155-pounds. There appears to be no issue with Mosley receiving a bigger percentage of the money.

DiBella made the pitch to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, who plans to pass the information to Mosley.

Mosley's next fight is being targeted for September 18 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. One possible opponent being discussed is Sergio Mora.

Strange fight imo, I'd prefer to see Sergio in with someone who didn't get his ass whipped last time out

The wheels in motion on a potential encounter between David Haye and Audley Harrison are gathering pace as it becomes increasingly likely that the pair will meet on November 13 of this year.

Several reports from Britain's major sporting news outlets all appear to have the same understanding as ESPN.co.uk, namely that Haye and Harrison are set to create the biggest all-British heavyweight clash since Lennox Lewis fought Frank Bruno in 1993. It is believed the fight could gross £5 million.

The bout initially moved closer when Harrison vacated his European title, freeing him up to take on the heavyweight division's big guns. Then Haye's manager, Adam Booth, who originally poured scorn on Harrison's claims to be a genuine contender to Haye's WBA title, seemed to perform something of a climbdown over the issue.

"As a boxing fan, I hate the fight, because Audley has not boxed anyone in the top 20, but I know that maybe David didn't deserve a shot at [Nikolai] Valuev," Booth said in The Times. "Within Britain it will be a fight that people would love to see, but [Haye] will receive a lot of criticism worldwide. He will be called a coward for not facing the Klitschkos and his credibility will be shot to pieces.

"Audley has to believe he has more chance of beating David than he does Wladimir or Vitali. I don't think he lasts four rounds with any of them, but with David he has got to have that belief that he finds his b*****ks and David's chin at the same time."

Now Haye's promoters, Golden Boy promotions, are also talking positively about the showdown, which would likely take place at London's O2 Arena or Manchester's MEN Arena.

"The British media were telling me that the English fans were pretty excited about Audley Harrison and think that it could become one of the great showdowns between two British fighters," said Golden Boy promotions CEO Richard Schaefer.

"They're both very outspoken and very charismatic and so we will see. Ultimately, of course, it will be David and Adam Booth of Hayemaker Promotions dictating which way it's going to go."

:lol:

I'm guessing Sergio is trying to build his name before going after someone bigger.

"The British media were telling me that the English fans were pretty excited about Audley Harrison" :lol:

I prefer the line "David Haye would prefer a shot at the Klitschko's but it appears that they're avoiding him"

:crylaugh:

Mike Tyson's coming to England... Bradford, England.

"Mike Tyson is set to visit Bradford on July the 17th after his agent accepted an offer from Nadeem ‘Golden Boy’ Siddique to attend the opening of the Bradford-based boxer’s ‘Make the Weight’ gym. Siddique, sidelined with a back problem since his 2009 points loss to Tom Glover, is also staging a dinner show to celebrate Tyson’s visit. The 33-year-old welterweight could barely contain his joy over landing ‘Iron Mike’.

“Johnny Nelson rang me and asked if I’d be interested in putting a show on around Mike, who is due to visit England, so I approached Mike’s people and they accepted my offer. I wasn’t pinching myself until I’d made sure that it was done, anyone can say they are bringing Mike Tyson over to the UK, I wanted to make sure that it was all set before getting excited,” enthused an excited Siddique.

“I’ve now got that information so it is a case of job done, Mike Tyson will be coming over to Bradford to open my new gym. Let’s put a wicked show on for him, we’ve got the best venue available, some great speakers, A-List celebrities and we’re booked in for three solid hours so there will be plenty of time with Mike.”

Tyson shot to prominence during the mid-1980s, his early career was expertly guided by Jimmy Jacobs, Cus D’Amato and Bill Cayton, this early progress culminating in a WBC title win over Trevor Berbick in 1986. The youngster unified the titles only to lost his ‘0’ in that shocking 1990 upset to James ‘Buster’ Douglas. Prison, controversy and, more improbably, further title wins followed but, for Nadeem and other Tyson diehards, the lure of Tyson is contained within the five-year burst of brilliance that so captured the hearts of boxing fans.

“Mike is one of the iconic figure of the twentieth century”, insisted Siddique, “the whole of Bradford is excited and we’ll all get behind him for this visit. A local businessman, and friend, called Faz Rehman had a son, Qasim, who was a massive Tyson fight, Qasim died just before he was supposed to meet Mike Tyson so Faz said he’d come onboard in honour of his son, he’s provided massive backing and publicity for this occasion. National TV is coming down to film the event and my gym opening, this is a wicked coup for us – the tickets are flying out.

“This venue, Abundant Life Conference Centre, is beautiful, the website is www.alccevents.co.uk and the photos on the front page show the layout of the place, it is unbelievable. We are going to do this in style. If Mike wants to be picked up in a Rolls Royce Phantom then he’ll be picked up in a Rolls Royce Phantom, if he wants to come to the venue in a helicopter then we’ve got plans in place for that. I want this to be a good day for Mike, I want him to be treated right and for him to enjoy the day and for him to see the lengths we’ve gone to make him comfortable.”

Still, Nadeem is a fighter first and foremost; the 22-2 (6) is not happy with his recent in-ring form and aims to put things to right over the next few years. “Nah, I’ve a lot to prove,” insisted Sid when asked if he is set to hang the gloves up in order to pursue a career in event promotion.

“There is a lot to come, a helluva lot, over the next five years and I’ve still got my fingers in a few pies – I’ll be back. I had a horrible back injury so it has been a nightmare but I’m getting back into shape now and should be back in action in September.”

He added: “I’m still training with Oliver [Harrison] and the Ingles. I’m nowhere near done with fighting, everyone come and support me next time I’m out. You can visit my website, www.thegoldenboy.co.uk for further information on my boxing career and any future events.”

Tickets for Tyson’s Bradford appearance are priced at £100 per person, £1000 for a table, and include full table service. Contact sales@alccevents.co.uk for further details or contact Nadeem via his Facebook page."

:shock:

• They're not talking about it publicly, and there's always a chance it won't happen, but Top Rank and HBO PPV are looking at Dec. 4 as the date for a possible Antonio Margarito-Miguel Cotto rematch. Margarito, of course, still needs to be licensed in the United States. And, of course, if Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. doesn't happen, all bets are off because Margarito and Cotto could become opponents for Pacquiao's November fight.

Interesting to see if Cotto takes the fight...

I'm guessing Sergio is trying to build his name before going after someone bigger.

"The British media were telling me that the English fans were pretty excited about Audley Harrison" :lol:

I prefer the line "David Haye would prefer a shot at the Klitschko's but it appears that they're avoiding him"

:crylaugh:

Has the Harrison fight been confirmed yet? **** Haye, can't understand the reasoning behind that one if it happens. I could forgive him if he took a tune up against Chagaev or something but a Harrison fight is a real stinker and yes it does make it look like he's ducking like crazy, Calzaghe style.

• They're not talking about it publicly, and there's always a chance it won't happen, but Top Rank and HBO PPV are looking at Dec. 4 as the date for a possible Antonio Margarito-Miguel Cotto rematch. Margarito, of course, still needs to be licensed in the United States. And, of course, if Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. doesn't happen, all bets are off because Margarito and Cotto could become opponents for Pacquiao's November fight.

I'm pretty sure he would take it.

I'm pretty sure he would take it.

He's said before he doesn't want to fight him again but since then he seems to have been coming around to fighting him again

Big Tyson Fury was bigger than ever ahead of the much-anticipated rematch with John McDermott. Weighing in at 19 stone 4, eclipsing his debut weight 18 months ago and 23 pounds heavier than in the first contest. McDermott looked more trim despite a characteristic weight of 18 stone 2, or 254 pounds. Surprisingly Fury, who attended in typically jovial mood seemed in reasonable shape but the weight doesn’t strongly suggest his preparation for this fight hasn’t been as intense as perhaps it should have been. McDermott certainly appears fixated on victory this time and with McDonnell in his ear, may yet find the resolve and self-belief to make the final step.

At yesterday’s press conference there were once again suggestions of ‘beastings’ at the hands of diminutive Jim McDonnell and it would be healthy to see Big Bad John get some reward for the additional effort he has clerly made to get in tip-top condition. The brief video of the weigh in is available at Maloney Promotions Youtube site….or you could just click here.

Two fat bastards

It's going to be a classic. I've spoken to the media and the whole country is really up for it. Fury vs McDermott is the fight the people want to see.

JMM vs Diaz on Sky Sports. Get in.

Brilliant news, building up for the Khan fight I guess. Cracking undercard as well

Â