The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Was it?

Yes it was, that's why I said it. There's a difference between clever lateral movement which Dirrell does & 'running.' It's a shame some people can't see it

And he bites. ;)

Against Froch he was running. His refusal to exchange cost him the fight (along with some nice home judges). Against Abraham I think he improved and then it was clever lateral movement tbf, apart from when he was falling on his arse.

Tell you what lads...............

Some of you are well into the boxing scene, and are always on here discussing who's gonna do what to who.

But perhaps it might be an idea to actually TELL US THE OUTCOME of some of these bouts? And give the scorecards?

We dont all watch SkyScum or crappy streams and the info would be nice, ta ;-)

Some of you are well into the boxing scene, and are always on here discussing who's gonna do what to who.

But perhaps it might be an idea to actually TELL US THE OUTCOME of some of these bouts? And give the scorecards?

I gave you the outcome in my prediction. :winkold: Although even Gabby could have predicted that fight.

Ward won the fight 120-108 on all 3 scorecards.

I gave you the outcome in my prediction. :winkold: Although even Gabby could have predicted that fight.

Ward won the fight 120-108 on all 3 scorecards.

My predictions>>>>>>>>Yours

It's pretty easy to tell from posts who think who will win, unless someone wants to start a prediction league to clearly show whom the superior predictor is...

Ok then. I'll try get a VT prediction league going.

Same rules as ESB?

Correct fight winner = 1-0

Incorrect fight winner = 0-1

Match Draw = no change

Correct Method i.e. KO/TKO, UD/SD/MD = 1 KO on record

Stoppages will be treated as the same whether its KO, TKO or RTD

All points victories will be treated the same whether its UD, SD or MD

Anyone welcome to join and post predictions before each fight?

Ok then. I'll try get a VT prediction league going.

Same rules as ESB?

Correct fight winner = 1-0

Incorrect fight winner = 0-1

Match Draw = no change

Correct Method i.e. KO/TKO, UD/SD/MD = 1 KO on record

Stoppages will be treated as the same whether its KO, TKO or RTD

All points victories will be treated the same whether its UD, SD or MD

Anyone welcome to join and post predictions before each fight?

Post some examples of predictions and point outcomes :thumb:

Foreman vs Cotto - Cotto KO - 2 points. +1(1) -0 - A KO as spot on.

Khan vs Malignaggi - Khan UD - 1 point. +1(0) -0 - A win as correct.

Mitchell vs Katsidis - Mitchell KO - -1 point. +0(0) -1 - A loss as wrong.

Lewis vs Holyfield I - Lewis UD - 0 points. +0(0) -0 - No change as draw.

Yeah?

Former super middleweight champion Carl Froch was not impressed with the most recent fight in the Super Six Boxing Classic. Froch was bored stiff after watching WBA champion Andre Ward dominate Allan Green for twelve rounds of one-sided action. Froch doesn't like Ward's style of fighting. Froch faces Arthur Abraham in the third stage of the Super Six. Ward will take on Andre Dirrell and Green will face Mikkel Kessler.

"First and foremost, as a spectator it was like watching paint dry. I recorded the fight to my TV box and can honestly say I will be recording over it." Froch told Livefight.com "Ward has skills but they don't pay the bills. People tune in to be entertained, but that jab and maul style, leaning in constantly with his bony head, holding and hitting was very tedious to watch."

After the loss, Green said he overtrained and felt very weak in the fight. Froch doesn't rule that out. He thought Green performed like a weight-drained fighter. Green weighed in at 166-pounds last Friday, a full two pounds under the super middleweight limit.

"He looked a bit drained to me. I was expecting more aggression and for Green to let the bombs fly a bit more. I like fighters to talk the talk and then walk the walk which Green seemed prepared to do in the build up to the fight. But basically he got old-manned out of the fight and will have to book his ideas up if he thinks he is going to beat Kessler, especially at home," Froch said.

Froch knows 8)

Former super middleweight champion Carl Froch was not impressed with the most recent fight in the Super Six Boxing Classic. Froch was bored stiff after watching WBA champion Andre Ward dominate Allan Green for twelve rounds of one-sided action. Froch doesn't like Ward's style of fighting. Froch faces Arthur Abraham in the third stage of the Super Six. Ward will take on Andre Dirrell and Green will face Mikkel Kessler.

"First and foremost, as a spectator it was like watching paint dry. I recorded the fight to my TV box and can honestly say I will be recording over it." Froch told Livefight.com "Ward has skills but they don't pay the bills. People tune in to be entertained, but that jab and maul style, leaning in constantly with his bony head, holding and hitting was very tedious to watch."

After the loss, Green said he overtrained and felt very weak in the fight. Froch doesn't rule that out. He thought Green performed like a weight-drained fighter. Green weighed in at 166-pounds last Friday, a full two pounds under the super middleweight limit.

"He looked a bit drained to me. I was expecting more aggression and for Green to let the bombs fly a bit more. I like fighters to talk the talk and then walk the walk which Green seemed prepared to do in the build up to the fight. But basically he got old-manned out of the fight and will have to book his ideas up if he thinks he is going to beat Kessler, especially at home," Froch said.

Froch knows 8)

Froch is an imbecile & is going to get KTFO by AA. The biggest gasbag in boxing.

Sources close to the situation have advised BoxingScene.com that ongoing discussions are taking place to match former champions Shane Mosley (46-6, 39KOs) and Sergio Mora (22-1-1, 6KOs) on September 18, with Staples Center in Los Angeles as the likely venue. Mora has a fight scheduled on July 23 against JC Candelo.

If an agreement can be reached, I've heard the fight would take place at a catch-weight of 154-pounds, where both fighters are former champions. Mosley's last couple of fights have been at welterweight, and Mora moved back to the middleweight division. I've heard some talk about unbeaten prospect Saul "Canelo" Alvarez making a possible appearance in the co-feature.

The Ring"]

Roach gets mixed results from Chavez

Freddie Roach’s decision to train Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. drew a mixed reaction from fans and people in the industry.

Some believe the four-time Trainer of the Year will get the most out of the Mexican legend’s eldest son, who does appear to have some talent and technique. Others think Roach is wasting his time with a spoiled, lazy underachiever who might not have what it takes to get by his next opponent, John Duddy, even with a future-hall-of-fame trainer in his corner.

I didn’t know what to think of the Chavez-Roach pairing when it was announced. I also wasn’t sure about Chavez’s chances against Duddy, who he fights on a pay-per-view card June 26 in San Antonio. The Irish fringe contender has his limitations but he’s the 24-year-old prospect’s toughest opponent to date.

So I took a wait-and-see approach.

And with the Duddy fight less than two weeks away it was time to drop by the Wild Card Boxing Club to see how Chavez was progressing under Roach‘s supervision. I popped in around 2 p.m. on Monday, shortly after Chavez arrived and as the Hollywood, Calif., gym was being cleared out for privacy.

Chavez (41-0-1, 30 knockouts) was kind enough to let me stick around and watch him go 10 rounds with Michael Medina and Rashad Holloway, but I’m still not sure whether he’s working well with Roach or ready for Duddy (29-1, 18 KOs).

I have mixed impressions of the private workout. The good news is that Chavez is at the Wild Card and training hard (by his standards, anyway). The bad news is that he arrived to camp two weeks late and 20 pounds over the contracted weight (160 pounds).

Chavez’s late arrival was the result of work visa issues but the extra pounds are the kid’s fault and an indication that he’s been calling the shots at his home gym in Culiacan, Mexico.

However, Roach has been the boss since Chavez reported to the Wild Card three weeks ago. Because of the limited time, Chavez has quickly advanced from sparring six rounds three days a week to going anywhere from nine to 12 rounds in gym sessions. Roach said Chavez will spar the Monday of fight week before they fly to San Antonio.

Chavez weighed around 168 pounds on Monday, so Roach isn’t worried about the young man making weight, but he wishes he had more time to go over specific technique for the fight.

The results, so far, have been mixed.

“He’s doing alright,” Roach told RingTV.com. “He’s trying to do the moves I’m showing him, but it’s not coming easy. He’s done things his way for 42 fights. He’s not going to get everything I show him in just three or four weeks.”

So Roach is keeping it simple for this camp. He just wants Chavez to use his jab more than he usually does.

“He has a very good jab when he uses it,” Roach said. “If he works it the way I want him to against Duddy, he can make it an easy fight.”

The good news is that Chavez and Roach appear to have a good rapport. They seem to enjoy talking boxing.

Chavez asked Roach about his opinion of Juan Manuel Marquez, Marco Antonio Barrera and Erik Morales as the master trainer wrapped his hands.

“Who was better?” Chavez asked.

“Barrera and Morales were just about equal,” Roach said. “I think Marquez has better technique than Barrera, and he’s a better boxer than Morales, but not a better fighter.

“Who do you like the best out of those three?” Roach asked Chavez.

“They’re the same,” the fighter said.

“Who’s the better person?” Roach asked.

“Barrera and Marquez are good people,” Chavez said. “Morales? Sometimes.”

The bad news is that their rapport doesn’t necessarily mean Chavez is listening to Roach’s advice about using his jab.

“It’s been difficult to get it out of him,” Roach said. “He wants to fight like his dad, who was 5-foot-7. It’s like he doesn’t realize that he’s almost 6-foot-1.”

Chavez didn’t use his height or jab much while sparring with Medina and Holloway, but he was still effective in spots, even when the sparring partners worked their jabs overtime.

Chavez isn’t the hardest worker or the most naturally gifted young fighter out there but he does a good job of blocking punches as he applies pressure. Once he’s in close, he’s usually able to do damage with his uppercuts and his left hook to the body and head.

Chavez has very good inside technique and his block-and-counter skills were on display against Medina, a 23-year-old junior middleweight prospect who battled Duddy to a 10-round split decision on the Manny Pacquiao-Joshua Clottey undercard in March.

Through five rounds, Medina (23-2, 18 KOs) was able to stick and move on Chavez, occasionally landing hard one-two combinations. However, the Modesto, Calif., native was unable to keep Chavez from advancing and landing punishing left hooks to the body when in close.

Chavez landed the heavier punches but Medina was busier. Chavez allowed Medina to out-hustle him by taking portions of the round off. Conditioning coach Alex Ariza told Chavez in Spanish not to rest during the end of the third and fourth rounds. The young man, who is obviously not used to working hard for all three minutes of a round in sparring, obeyed and let his hands go in the final 30 seconds.

The second half the 10-round sparring session was supposed to be with Feder Chudinov, but the Russian middleweight prospect has been sparring with Alfredo Angulo at the Maywood Boxing Club recently and his trainer preferred to stay at one gym. So in stepped Holloway (11-1-2, 5 KOs). The welterweight prospect had just returned to California from an eight-month stay in Las Vegas. Monday was his first day back at the Wild Card, and although he had already sparred during an earlier workout, he gladly gave Roach a hand by going five spirited rounds with Chavez.

Holloway showed Chavez greater speed than Medina, but he was dwarfed by the Mexican star. Still, the smaller man gamely stood and traded with Chavez.

They stood center ring for three rounds, almost forehead to forehead, with their gloves up around their chins as they looked for openings for their hooks and uppercuts. Chavez, clearly comfortable with this style of fighting, playfully tapped Holloway’s gloves and headgear, which agitated the 29-year-old boxer.

Holloway nailed Chavez with a clean right cross. Chavez responded by pressing him to the ropes and pounding his sides. “Let’s go!” Holloway yelled at the bell.

In Rounds 9 and 10, Chavez pressed Holloway but didn’t punch with full force. I wasn’t sure whether he held back because he didn’t want to hurt Holloway or because of fatigue.

And to be honest, I couldn’t tell whether Chavez was tired. He wasn’t throwing his hands enough to be really fatigued, which irked Holloway, who barked “Come on, man, work!” whenever Chavez laid against the ropes without punching.

However, just because Chavez wasn’t working hard enough for Holloway, who is used to sparring with volume punchers like Manny Pacquiao and Angulo, doesn’t mean he’s not in shape or ready to go hard rounds with Duddy.

His body looked solid when he removed his T-shirt for the final rounds of Monday’s session. Who knows? He might actually be ripped by the time he gets down to 160 pounds.

The bad news for Chavez is that he probably won’t make the Duddy fight an easy one by using his height and jab.

The good news for fans is that it will probably be a damn good scrap.

Not very convincing. :?

WBA interim-junior welterweight champion Marcos Maidana is still hungry for a crack at WBO champion Timothy Bradley. Maidana (28-1, 27 KOs) was scheduled twice to fight Bradley (25-0, 11 KOs) on HBO. He postponed two scheduled dates, June 19 and July 17, with claims of a serious back injury. It was recently disclosed that Maidana's back injury was infact an excuse to withdraw because of an internal rift with his manager.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer tells BoxingScene.com that Maidana's back injury claims came from the manager, and not the fighter. While Maidana is trying to break his managerial contract, he wants to keep his promotional contract with Golden Boy in place.

"As it relates to Bradley, the issue of back injuires did not come from Maidana, but from his manager, Mario Margossian. Not from Maidana. And Maidana told me, as well, that he was never told about the offer on the table for the fight with Bradley, other than that it was substantially low in number is what he was told," said Schaefer.

"So, Marcos Maidana is at issue with his manager, Mario Margossian. Maidana told me about these issues, and I was rather shocked with what's going on there. But he's perfectly happy with Golden Boy, and we have an existing contract with him and no intentions of breaking that."

Once the internal issues are sorted out, Maidana would love to get a fight with Bradley. He would like to fight Bradley as early as November. Bradley returns on July 17, making his welterweight debut against Carlos Abregu on HBO.

"Maidana, of course, would be happy to fight Bradley," said Schaefer. "He made it clear to me that he would be more than happy to fight Timothy Bradley in November or so -- if HBO is interested in buying it."

Looks like Khan will be fighting Marquez atm.

Â