The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Wlad is much less timid than he was a few years back, still has to be hounded into pressing for a finish by his corner though.

That's nothing new from Steward, he was doing the same routine with Lewis when he fought Tyson, except he was even more annoyed at Lennox for prolonging things.

The difference is, Lewis was facing Tyson, Wlad was facing Sam Peter, who is just awful. Watching that snooze-fest tonight and seeing Peter getting close to Klitschko so often and as easily as he did, with his crap speed, technique and footwork the question kept entering my head...."how the hell do Klitschko fans think this guy could ever beat a prime Tyson?" If Sam Peter can slip the jab and get in range then what would Tyson do....

If Peter actually had aggression and technique he could have won tonight, but he has neither, he's just an overblown, overweight punching bag.

The Klits are rubbish aren't they? I reckon Haye will hammer both of 'em if they ever grow a pair

He'll definately beat the one that fought tonight if you ask me, he looked scared shitless in there, against a man that was shot to shit and terrified to throw punches.

Haye isn't much better, fighting Harrison is a disgrace but if he actually gets some belief I've got no doubt he'll KO Wlad...and by the time he does that the other brother will be about 40 and will probably retire to avoid the pummeling. It's all in Haye's hands now, is he prepared to take a risk?

That's nothing new from Steward, he was doing the same routine with Lewis when he fought Tyson, except he was even more annoyed at Lennox for prolonging things.

I know Steward always calls for a stoppage but against this calibre of opposition he shouldn't get a chance to open his mouth.

Haye isn't much better, fighting Harrison is a disgrace

Yeah, his credibility has plummeted. Haye needs to sort out the Klits but if they keep **** him about what can he do?

Didn't know that

But from what I read it seems the Klits are masters of the dodge, I assumed that's what was happening here

Haye has got time on his side and so he can dodge them until they get older and slower and maybe hurt a bit. Choosing to fight fraudly over Wlad, very poor.

Wlad vs Peter

Vitali vs Briggs

Haye vs Audley

what a sensational line up of world championship fights.

The Klits are rubbish aren't they? I reckon Haye will hammer both of 'em if they ever grow a pair

Wlad Klitschko, the lineal heavyweight champion, offered Haye 50/50 and he turned it down to fight Harrison. Who needs to grow a pair?

He didn't offer him 50-50. Haye asked for 50-50 and was offered 50-50 on everything except Germany where Klit wanted 100%. So Haye offered 50-50 but Klit takes the German money and Haye takes the British money. Klit declined. Both sides agree this is what happened, it's up to people to make their minds up as to who's in the wrong.

As I've said before this culture in boxing of agreeing all of the money up front is bollocks, 40-40 each and the winner takes the other 20% is what I want.

As I've said before this culture in boxing of agreeing all of the money up front is bollocks, 40-40 each and the winner takes the other 20% is what I want.

Sounds a good idea

Wlad Klitschko, the lineal heavyweight champion, offered Haye 50/50 and he turned it down to fight Harrison. Who needs to grow a pair?
He didn't offer him 50-50. Haye asked for 50-50 and was offered 50-50 on everything except Germany where Klit wanted 100%. So Haye offered 50-50 but Klit takes the German money and Haye takes the British money
The only place I've seen that offered as a version of the story is in a haye interview with the sun. Other stories have slightly different lines including Vitali saying a 50/50 deal for worldwide revenue was on the table. So it's a little confused.

Even if they had agreed, Haye would have developed a bad back again.

He didn't offer him 50-50. Haye asked for 50-50 and was offered 50-50 on everything except Germany where Klit wanted 100%. So Haye offered 50-50 but Klit takes the German money and Haye takes the British money. Klit declined. Both sides agree this is what happened, it's up to people to make their minds up as to who's in the wrong.

That's not exactly true. Haye was offered 50-50 with Wlad's current TV company RTL but Haye wanted Wlad to move to a different company who were offering £1m more. Wlad couldn't do that because he is tied into a contract with RTL. Haye then asked for all UK money with Wlad keeping all Germany money but that would have meant Haye would have been getting more than 50% so Wlad said no. So the truth is that Haye was offered 50% and turned it down.

Absolutely agree, Gringo, about the standard of opponents.

Didn't know that

But from what I read it seems the Klits are masters of the dodge, I assumed that's what was happening here

Don't agree with that tbh, Rob. There hasn't been anyone to dodge in the heavyweight division reallly, and to be fair to Vitali he was desperate for a rematch with Lewis.

That loss to Lewis is still the most impressive thing on his record, which just about sums it up really :P

Arguments still rage on ESB about that rematch. Call me old fashioned and all that but if the champion turns your face into mincemeat in 6 rounds then you really can't whine about not getting a rematch, especially when the champion is not far off 40 years old :)

Â