The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

6 hours ago, The_Rev said:

LTTP so I'll keep it brief but I feel that stoppage was there to protect Joshua's KO streak. I suspect some of the time outs to check Takam's cut may have happened to buy AJ some time too. He certainly won't get that kind of help if he's not in a British ring. 

Very good points. For me Joshua should fight his next fight in the us before he fights wilder. I still think those are giving wilder too much credit. He has incredible boxing power but he can't box very well and he has not fought anyone anywhere near as good as Joshua or with his punching power.

joshua is definitely capable of knocking wilder out. But Joshua stamina for me is his biggest weakness. If he didn't ko wilder within five rounds I think wilder would then go on to win. 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2017 at 19:28, Demitri_C said:

Very good points. For me Joshua should fight his next fight in the us before he fights wilder. I still think those are giving wilder too much credit. He has incredible boxing power but he can't box very well and he has not fought anyone anywhere near as good as Joshua or with his punching power.

joshua is definitely capable of knocking wilder out. But Joshua stamina for me is his biggest weakness. If he didn't ko wilder within five rounds I think wilder would then go on to win. 

Agreed on this, I have read things online where people are saying that AJ will get KTFO by Wilder, I can't see how they can say that, Takam was a much bigger test than anyone was expecting for AJ but to say that it makes Wilder the automatic winner is crazy.

It certainly makes the fight a whole lot more interesting though.

BoxNations subscription fee will be worth the money over the next month or so as well.

Smith v Williams - 11/11/17 - first fight Smith was getting dealt with until he won via a cut, I was backing Smith to win that one quite comfortably but he looked pretty clueless if I remember correctly, he was getting back into the fight over the last few rounds before it was stopped but I'm sure he was still miles behind

Frampton v Garcia - 18/11/17 - Framptons first outing under Warren (well, his first outing since returning to him) it'll be interesting to see how Frampton does, this should be a gimme but Frampton has had a long lay off and by all accounts didn't cope with his loss all that well.

Loma v Rigo - 9/12/17 - One for the purists, I can't wait for this fight, Rigo is coming up 2 weights to fight Loma and age isn't on his side, I think Loma wins but Rigo could quite easily cause an upset, moving up 2 weight classes at the lighter end isn't the same as Kham moving up to fight Canelo so hopefully that won't have as much of an impact on the fight.

Billy Joe Saunders v Lemiuex - 16/12/17 - another good fight, BJS has only recently been in action so he has no excuse to be out of shape for this one, we've all seen him blow up in between fights before but it shouldn't be an issue this time, Lemmy is a banger and there have been questions over BJS's stamina so he could land something huge and really test BJS's beard, I'd tip Billy Joe to outbox Lemmy and win on points, he is the away fighter though so he may need to KO Lemmy to win, I can't see that happening though.

At some point in all that you have Cotto's cashing out fight as well, I'll watch that and I hope he gets the chance to put on a good performance, he's had a cracking career

• Like 1

On 10/31/2017 at 21:34, Genie said:

So is Tyson Fury gonna get in shape (for him) and make the heavyweight division interesting?

A super fit Tyson Fury wouldn't beat him imo.

No chance he will beat him the shape he's in.

Yet another hype train fight for Eddie to hyperinflate his paper tiger. 

9 hours ago, AshVilla said:

A super fit Tyson Fury wouldn't beat him imo.

No chance he will beat him the shape he's in.

Yet another hype train fight for Eddie to hyperinflate his paper tiger. 

Not so sure about that. Fury failed to even floor WLad. Aj has the power to knock out Fury out. 

I would prefer to see Wilder vs Fury to be honest 

A fully fit in form Fury would systematically outbox Joshua, only chance Joshua has is a punchers chance, he'd be made to look very silly indeed.

The problem is that Fury has abused his body so much that I don't think he will ever be the same again. I expect him to be less mobile with slower reflexes than usual. 

On 11/1/2017 at 09:10, leemond2008 said:

Agreed on this, I have read things online where people are saying that AJ will get KTFO by Wilder, I can't see how they can say that, Takam was a much bigger test than anyone was expecting for AJ but to say that it makes Wilder the automatic winner is crazy.

It certainly makes the fight a whole lot more interesting though.

BoxNations subscription fee will be worth the money over the next month or so as well.

Smith v Williams - 11/11/17 - first fight Smith was getting dealt with until he won via a cut, I was backing Smith to win that one quite comfortably but he looked pretty clueless if I remember correctly, he was getting back into the fight over the last few rounds before it was stopped but I'm sure he was still miles behind

Frampton v Garcia - 18/11/17 - Framptons first outing under Warren (well, his first outing since returning to him) it'll be interesting to see how Frampton does, this should be a gimme but Frampton has had a long lay off and by all accounts didn't cope with his loss all that well.

Loma v Rigo - 9/12/17 - One for the purists, I can't wait for this fight, Rigo is coming up 2 weights to fight Loma and age isn't on his side, I think Loma wins but Rigo could quite easily cause an upset, moving up 2 weight classes at the lighter end isn't the same as Kham moving up to fight Canelo so hopefully that won't have as much of an impact on the fight.

Billy Joe Saunders v Lemiuex - 16/12/17 - another good fight, BJS has only recently been in action so he has no excuse to be out of shape for this one, we've all seen him blow up in between fights before but it shouldn't be an issue this time, Lemmy is a banger and there have been questions over BJS's stamina so he could land something huge and really test BJS's beard, I'd tip Billy Joe to outbox Lemmy and win on points, he is the away fighter though so he may need to KO Lemmy to win, I can't see that happening though.

At some point in all that you have Cotto's cashing out fight as well, I'll watch that and I hope he gets the chance to put on a good performance, he's had a cracking career

Good fights, I fancy Lomachenko to KO Rigo, it will be high level chess match whilst it lasts but Rigo is old and has a weak chin, having being downed several times in his pro career. This fight will be a bridge too far for him especially given he is moving up in weight at an advanced age. I also think Lemiuex has a very good shot at beating BJS as well.

57 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

A fully fit in form Fury would systematically outbox Joshua, only chance Joshua has is a punchers chance, he'd be made to look very silly indeed.

The problem is that Fury has abused his body so much that I don't think he will ever be the same again. I expect him to be less mobile with slower reflexes than usual. 

Totally agree with that. Was hoping it would happen and the bookies underestimate him with their odds.

Bookies aren't stupid ,it wouldn't surprise me if they made Fury favourite ,but has has been said ,will he ever regain that appetite ? If there's one sport ,in which you can't cut corners , its boxing . 

For what it's worth , I think he'd give AJ major problems ,but it definitely, imo ,wouldn't be no foregone conclusion. Robert McCracken is a very good trainer ,has he proved with Carl froch and the GB ,olympic squads ,and I'm sure he could find a way for AJ to work out Fury over 12 rds , let's hope we're given the opportunity to find out .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Bookies aren't stupid ,it wouldn't surprise me if they made Fury favourite ,but has has been said ,will he ever regain that appetite ? If there's one sport ,in which you can't cut corners , its boxing . 

For what it's worth , I think he'd give AJ major problems ,but it definitely, imo ,wouldn't be no foregone conclusion. Robert McCracken is a very good trainer ,has he proved with Carl froch and the GB ,olympic squads ,and I'm sure he could find a way for AJ to work out Fury over 12 rds , let's hope we're given the opportunity to find out .

True they probably would have it close but i know where all the public's money would be going, you would get a decent price eventually even if they started fairly even.

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Valid points but you can't underestimate ajs power. I think if he connects fury isn't getting up. Fury doesn't have the conditioning or motivation to get back to where he was.

also he is a bit of a nutter so I also don't think mentally he will be

Wilder is going to knock him out within 5 rounds. I think even whyte would have been a better opponent

wilder needs to fight better fighters simple as that. He has incredible power but he hasn't been in with another heavyweight who also has that

Just now, AshVilla said:

I think a solid fighter with a good defence that can counter punch would take WIlder apart.

If he catches you your probably dead, but he leaves himself open way to much.

Lennox Lewis would have destroyed him in my opinion. Even Tyson on his peak would have. Joshua if he bulks down a little to improve his stamina I think he. An dispose of wilder easy. But if he gasses out I think wilder could knock him it in the matter rounds.

Â