The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I think a lot is made of power in the heavyweight division.

AJ was a KO machine in his early fights, knocking people out in no less than 3 rounds, he got in with Whyte who isn't fantastic but was a step up from who he had been fighting and he took him into the 7th, Klit took him into the later rounds, Takam was possibly going to last the whole 12

Wilder, KO machine, went in with Stiverne who was a step up and he went the whole 12 rounds, he hasn't had any competition since then and his resume is pretty laughable but it makes you wonder how the KO power will translate when he is in with someone who can actually box

old Daniel Dubois (DDD) is knocking people out for fun, I read somewhere earlier that he is the man to take the crown from AJ.

If I was a boxer I'd be in the heavyweight division, I'd be pretty **** terrible, but you could find some bum off the street who would make me look like a world beater.

Basically AJ hits hard, Wilder hits hard, who hits harder is irrelevant because in the heavyweights it gets to a point that if you get hit you are going down.

24 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I think a lot is made of power in the heavyweight division.

AJ was a KO machine in his early fights, knocking people out in no less than 3 rounds, he got in with Whyte who isn't fantastic but was a step up from who he had been fighting and he took him into the 7th, Klit took him into the later rounds, Takam was possibly going to last the whole 12

Wilder, KO machine, went in with Stiverne who was a step up and he went the whole 12 rounds, he hasn't had any competition since then and his resume is pretty laughable but it makes you wonder how the KO power will translate when he is in with someone who can actually box

old Daniel Dubois (DDD) is knocking people out for fun, I read somewhere earlier that he is the man to take the crown from AJ.

If I was a boxer I'd be in the heavyweight division, I'd be pretty **** terrible, but you could find some bum off the street who would make me look like a world beater.

Basically AJ hits hard, Wilder hits hard, who hits harder is irrelevant because in the heavyweights it gets to a point that if you get hit you are going down.

It does in my opinion. Because how do you better yourself if you don't get in the ring with hitters like you? For me Joshua has more experience than wilder when you look who he has been in the ring with.

wilders resume is a joke I agree with. I am really annoyed because I was looking forward to the Ortiz fight as I thought he really would cause wilder problems?

we will never know like povetkin. 

Wilder needs to fight Parker fury or whyte next in my view

47 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That wilder fight was a joke, a bum that hasn't had a fight in two years and so much smaller than him.

yes he was mandatory but I think even whyte would have given him a better fight.

Wilder was supposed to fight Luis Ortiz, a credible heavyweight, but that collapsed due to Ortiz failing a drug test, so he had little choice but to take his mandatory (Stiverne) if he wanted to stay active, so he deserves a pass on this one. Stiverne in his day was decent enough but probably too old and inactive to do anything last night, Wilder is bigger in dimensions but Stiverne would have outweighed him by 30-40lbs last night. 

I'm not sure why he has to fight Whyte, I personally think Joshua/ Hearn are ducking Wilder. They are trying to make him jump through unnecessary hoops such as fighting Whyte (without actually guaranteeing that beating Whyte will lead to a fight with Joshua, as Wilder stated in his post fight interview). The bottom line is that Wilder would end Whyte in three rounds and that Wilder vs Joshua should happen now.

Honestly the more I see Wilder over time the more impressed I am. I see a fight with Joshua as a 'pick em' fight. Joshua is more accomplished and has much better combinations and in-fighting but Wilder has the better jab, significantly faster hands and more power in the right hand. Wilder is longer than Joshua and can hit you with the right hand from the 'back of the arena'. I don't think Joshua has a particularly good defence for the straight right, evidenced by how Klitschko could nail him with it and even Takam had success with his straight right, especially after throwing a left hook first. 

Not to me obvious who wins that fight and I'd lean towards Wilder at this stage, however one things for certain is that it does not go the distance.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

37 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wilder was supposed to fight Luis Ortiz, a credible heavyweight, but that collapsed due to Ortiz failing a drug test, so he had little choice but to take his mandatory (Stiverne) if he wanted to stay active, so he deserves a pass on this one. Stiverne in his day was decent enough but probably too old and inactive to do anything last night, Wilder is bigger in dimensions but Stiverne would have outweighed him by 30-40lbs last night. 

I'm not sure why he has to fight Whyte, I personally think Joshua/ Hearn are ducking Wilder. They are trying to make him jump through unnecessary hoops such as fighting Whyte (without actually guaranteeing that beating Whyte will lead to a fight with Joshua, as Wilder stated in his post fight interview). The bottom line is that Wilder would end Whyte in three rounds and that Wilder vs Joshua should happen now.

Honestly the more I see Wilder over time the more impressed I am. I see a fight with Joshua as a 'pick em' fight. Joshua is more accomplished and has much better combinations and in-fighting but Wilder has the better jab, significantly faster hands and more power in the right hand. Wilder is longer than Joshua and can hit you with the right hand from the 'back of the arena'. I don't think Joshua has a particularly good defence for the straight right, evidenced by how Klitschko could nail him with it and even Takam had success with his straight right, especially after throwing a left hook first. 

Not to me obvious who wins that fight and I'd lean towards Wilder at this stage, however one things for certain is that it does not go the distance.

agree with all of that but it needs to be said that Wilders defense is pretty much non existent at times, he leaves himself open when he is throwing and he has this weird thing when he jumps back from a punch he puts his arms up as if he is being crucified, his chin is just begging to be checked by a big puncher.

It's a fight that whets the appetite, a fight the heavyweight division needs. Neither fighter has been in with someone who possesses the danger the other brings. You can almost guarantee both will hit the canvas which makes it all the more fascinating. 

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

When asked if Wilder would fight Whyte he responded

"I want Joshua he's the king why would i go to the UK to fight a peasant" lol

It was more along the lines of 'I'm the king, kings don't fight peasants they fight other kings, AJ is the other king and I'm going to fight him, Whyte is a peasant, kings throw cabbages at peasants'

You can't miss out the bit about throwing cabbages, that was what made his answer so good

I see no reason why Joshua will try dodge wilder. Either is capable of knocking the other out. Heck moline rocked wilder so I don't think wilder would be able to withstand any of Joshua's punches but I think the same if wilder hit Joshua.

joshua has experience of fighting solid fighters so I give him the edge. I think Joshua should fight Parker in the states next. With wilder fighter either bellew or haye winner. I would say fury but god knows when he is back.

then wilder vs joshua

i think breazale is next in line for wilder, his only loss was against Joshua and he took a lot of punishment. Won't be a easy fight for wilder.

Foot v Leather was a cracking scrap, without the 2 point deductions for Foot I had him winning, I had it really close though after the 2 points were took off so can' complain at the decision for Leather.

Smith beat Williams as well, Smith fought a clever fight and it was completely different to what I was expecting. I thought Williams was going to start slow to keep some gas in the tank for the later stages and thought Smith was going to try and snatch the first few rounds after losing pretty much the first half of their first fight.

Josh Taylor was on channel 5 as well, I've got that recorded to watch tomorrow, sounds like he will have learnt quite a bit from the fight though from what I've read.

Edited by leemond2008

Just watching the Sky card now, Connor Benn is improving all the time, it was a brutal bodyshot that he won with, the Mexican dude was in agony after it.

Cletus Seldin has a real weird style, elbows first then see if you can land a big right. cut the other guy up real bad after just 3 rounds

Honestly I can't take a whole lot out of Conor Benn's fights. He's clearly a good athlete and he has some power, but the level of competition has been so woefully bad that they will, by definition, make him look very good and super powerful. So far he generally fights guys pushing their late 20s with no more than 7 pro fights (basically white collar boxers) and last night beat a guy who has lost half of his pro fights. 

Not saying he should necessarily step it up any time soon as he is fighting these guys because he had virtually no amateur career to speak of and is only 21, but I genuinely wouldn't call him even a prospect until he eventually fights someone who is domestic level and impresses. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

50 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Honestly I can't take a whole lot out of Conor Benn's fights. He's clearly a good athlete and he has some power, but the level of competition has been so woefully bad that they will, by definition, make him look very good and super powerful. So far he generally fights guys pushing their late 20s with no more than 7 pro fights (basically white collar boxers) and last night beat a guy who has lost half of his pro fights. 

Not saying he should necessarily step it up any time soon as he is fighting these guys because he had virtually no amateur career to speak of and is only 21, but I genuinely wouldn't call him even a prospect until he eventually fights someone who is domestic level and impresses. 

No you can't call him a prospect and I don't think he should even be on these cards at the minute, he should be headlining the NXT GEN stuff that Matchroom have been putting on Friday nights at the York Hall.

Having said that though look at his debut and look at him now, he has improved massively over those 9 or 10 fights, considering he hasn't had any amateur experience I think he is coming on nicely.

The only problem is that he is being put on all of the cards that the casual fan watches, it won't be long until they are calling for him to step up the opposition which is unfair on the lad at the moment, if they step him up too soon it will be pretty poor management.

2 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

No you can't call him a prospect and I don't think he should even be on these cards at the minute, he should be headlining the NXT GEN stuff that Matchroom have been putting on Friday nights at the York Hall.

Having said that though look at his debut and look at him now, he has improved massively over those 9 or 10 fights, considering he hasn't had any amateur experience I think he is coming on nicely.

The only problem is that he is being put on all of the cards that the casual fan watches, it won't be long until they are calling for him to step up the opposition which is unfair on the lad at the moment, if they step him up too soon it will be pretty poor management.

True but it's a double edged sword. Sky are hyping him up significantly, even calling him a 'mini Mike Tyson'. When you hype up a fighter you can't really blame fans calling for him to step it up.

Same with everyone really though isn't it, Until they go in the ring with someone who doesn't fall over the instant they are hit you never really know how good they are.

I have seen 3 of Daniel Dubois fights live and he is brutal but David Price was knocking people out for fun a couple of years ago and now i'm not sure he would win a nursery school pillow fight.

a 20-0 record is pretty much meaningless in many cases as more often than not that would equate to about 90 minutes of actual ringtime & the first 10 fights are typically against people with losing records who are just there to be KO'd.

To be fair to Dubois he is actually going in against people with winning records, including one who was 15-1 but it doesn't seem to matter. He hits them & they fall over, very quickly.

Edited by LakotaDakota

I've got no problem with boxers fighting postmen and butchers at the start of their career, its a learning curve, I think that the issue is the amount of exposure that they get these days whilst doing it.

To be fair to Dubois, even though his fights have been televised they have been on BoxNation so he hasn't had the same sort of media machine behind him, I know Buncey and co love to big him up but they don't get through to the same sort of audience that Sky does.

Dubois biggest appearance on a card is probably BJS v Monroe at the Copperbox, Benn has been on the undercard for AJ's PPV's.

Â