The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

WTF?

Unanimous decision my arse

I was expecting a split/draw that was alot closer

Dirrell was made to miss alot tbf and alot of the punches that were cheered were hitting gloves. De Gales last round is what won him the decision along with the 10-7 round

Chunky won that, it was close but I see no argument for Dirrell winning or the fight being a draw. At the end of round 10 I had the fight a draw, but DeGale clearly won rounds 11 and 12 and thus won the fight. 

IMO, DeGale is a special talent, but I don't think he's with the right trainer. The right wasn't strategised right, especially after round 4, DeGale was not throwing enough punches and he wasn't shorting up the left hand enough. There was an element of De La Hoya vs Trinidad, with DeGale looking to coast in the second half of the fight, thankfully he pulled off the last two rounds by holding centre of the ring more and landing the cleaner, harder shots.

Let's not make any bones about this though, Dirrell is a high quality opponent and DeGale clearly beat him and early on, frankly beat the shit out of him, DeGale is without a doubt one of the very best super middleweights in the sport.

• Like 1

I only caught the middle to late rounds and missed the last couple so was surprised by the decision, I've a feeling I missed DeGales best stuff - fair play to him though. He's awkward, both in and out of the ring and occasionally his own worst enemy, but he's talented and it's nice to see him get his hands on a title.

I'm not sure DeGale's conditioning was the best it could have been, he did tire in the middle rounds before getting a second wind later on in the fight, that's certainly something he has to look into, apparently he had a very long training camp so it was possible that he was overtrained. His trainer is well known for pretty gruelling fitness regimes and really, it's DeGale's trainer that I worry about most, I'm not sure he's good enough to get the very best out of Chunky, but I guess we'll find that out.

Interestingly, if Groves beats Badou Jack for the WBC title, and I think he does because Badou Jack is shit, then we have a very, very tasty unification/grudge match on our hand between DeGale and Groves. 

Easy win for Joshua the weekend then?

I know kingpin has never been stopped but he hasn't won in what his last 4 fights he talks a good game but whether its points or a KO i cant see anything other than Joshua even if it is a step up in difficulty

I think brook will beat gavin but find it much harder than JoJo Dan who was woeful and Linares will beat Mitchell on points

I'm glad I am going to Wembley on Saturday otherwise I would have ended up paying for that dogshit card, not a single fight worthy of being PPV

You have to give Hearn his due though, fantastic at padding records out and making fighters seem good

To be honest, Linares vs Mitchell and Selby vs Gradovich are two very good fights with very interesting style match ups, however the main event is total dog shit and Brook will blast the much smaller Gavin out of there inside the distance. 

It's certainly not PPV worthy, personally I'll be streaming it. 

I totally forgot that Khan vs Algieri is on Friday, glass hands vs the glass chin. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

To be honest, Linares vs Mitchell and Selby vs Gradovich are two very good fights with very interesting style match ups, however the main event is total dog shit and Brook will blast the much smaller Gavin out of there inside the distance.

It's certainly not PPV worthy, personally I'll be streaming it.

I totally forgot that Khan vs Algieri is on Friday, glass hands vs the glass chin.

Khan is looking fantastic in the training videos ive seen.

I think calling him glass chin is abit harsh, you forget he went 12 rounds with Maidana and got caught multiple times. Granted it is probably not granite but he and his team know this which is why Virgil has changed his whole style.

I think both Brook and Khan will win in the distance

He was getting dropped and rocked multiple times by Julio Diaz, a career lightweight, I think its' fair to say his chin is weak, the Maidana fight could well have been sropped in round 10, a British ref like Howard Foster would have been waiving it off LOL

Khans biggest problem is what he does when he gets buzzed, he goes all out attack which is when he finds himself in more trouble

He hasnt fought like that at all recently, composed and in and out with his speed.

He was getting dropped and rocked multiple times by Julio Diaz, a career lightweight, I think its' fair to say his chin is weak, the Maidana fight could well have been sropped in round 10, a British ref like Howard Foster would have been waiving it off LOL

His chin isnt his strong point but hes hardly got a glass jaw. If you leave yourself wide open then anyone would get knocked out.

He seems to be alot more composed now and doesnt allow his opponent the chance.

I think virgils doing a fantastic job with him and he will only get better.

He seems to have alot if hatred towards him in this country.

Khans biggest problem is what he does when he gets buzzed, he goes all out attack which is when he finds himself in more trouble

He hasnt fought like that at all recently, composed and in and out with his speed.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you, that was a major problem for him and people tend to remember him getting ko'd in this fashion rather than his last few fights where he has largely improved in thus area.

I still **** hate him though

Don't get me wrong I agree with you, that was a major problem for him and people tend to remember him getting ko'd in this fashion rather than his last few fights where he has largely improved in thus area.

I still **** hate him though

I dont get the hate though, seems the majority of the British public hate him.

Amir Khan hasn't been in with anyone who can genuinely test his chin since Julio Diaz like two years ago now, since then he has fought against opponents who were either past it or a good style match up for him. 

It's a smart move and an attempt to safeguard him for a big fight. 

Put Khan in with someone who has power, and is prepared to try and get inside, and most crucially, prepared to punch with Khan, and you have someone who will more often than not, at the very least, hurt him. 

Â