The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I think it completely devalues the years of hard work any aspiring amateur has to put in before thinking about turning pro. If Flintoff wanted to try boxing he should have arranged a charity bout against another ex cricketer / celeb. Why has a pro Licence been sanctioned?

It felt more like a WWE event. Boxing is going down the shitter if that fight got promoted as a "professional" fight.

Why a disgrace?

It's a disgrace because Flintoff has zero ability or aptitude for the sport, he can't move, he can't punch, his footwork is like bambi on ice and I've seen more skilled punchers on the Bristol Road. Then, you have Barry McGuigan talking out of his arse (not for the first time) saying that Flintoff has something, now given this fight was on 'McGuigan' promotions you take a second to think and wonder why he would say such a thing.

But the main reason is because this bullshit fight involving two bums was a main event on a Box Nation card, absolutely amazing.

It was just a PR stunt.

Exactly.

Sure the fight was ugly, but think about what effect it'll have on the public.

They've seen Flintoff get in the ring and win a professional fight. Sure he didn't do it prettily, but he did it. Surely that's going to inspire a few people to take up the sport?

Boxing is in danger of dying out because there's simply no talent in most of the divisions, look at the heavyweight divisions, you have the Klitschko's at the top, then a big gulf between everyone else because there's no heavyweights for people to build up their ability against. As soon as someone wins a few fights in the heavyweight division they're thrown against a Klitschko in a fight they're just not ready for.

We need more people getting into boxing at the grass roots level, and if this inspires a few people to do that then it'll have done it's job for me.

There's plenty of talent in boxing, the only division that is suffering right now is the H/W division. It's a division that was almost always dominated by Americans, if you want to see where the (potentially) top American H/W boxers are just watch the NBA or the NFL. Another issue is the amount of belts out there, there are now 4 major world titles per division and then a number of lightly regarded titles (e.g. WBU, IBO, WBF), they need to scrap all the belt and have at most two world titles and get rid of all the interim titles and replace it with a more objective ranking system (similar to The Ring Magazines rankings for example). This system should then force the top guys to face each other otherwise they'll be stripped of their titles and maybe even fined. Another thing to do would be to make undercards better...

But, the talent is there in most divisions, it's the 'game' that needs changing.

However Flintoff isn't inspiring nothing, it's just a freak show, people are interested only for him, not for the sport. I don't think the grass roots in this country is in a terrible state. It definitely needs more investment but boxing is still pretty popular amongst young people IMO. But if you really want to boost it at the grass roots level then you need to bring it to schools, but that won't ever happen LOL.

It's a disgrace because Flintoff has zero ability or aptitude for the sport, he can't move, he can't punch, his footwork is like bambi on ice and I've seen more skilled punchers on the Bristol Road. Then, you have Barry McGuigan talking out of his arse (not for the first time) saying that Flintoff has something, now given this fight was on 'McGuigan' promotions you take a second to think and wonder why he would say such a thing.

But the main reason is because this bullshit fight involving two bums was a main event on a Box Nation card, absolutely amazing.

Ah right, think I misunderstood your post and thought you were saying Flintoff himself was a disgrace, it was late and I'd been out on the piss last night when I read it.

Ah right, think I misunderstood your post and thought you were saying Flintoff himself was a disgrace, it was late and I'd been out on the piss last night when I read it.

I don't think Flintoff is a disgrace, but I do think he's a deluded individual who has no place in profession boxing and is perhaps at the bottom of his own particular barrel. I'd have no issue if he did things properly and spent a year in the amateurs and actually gave it enough time to learn the trade, but I guess that wouldn't be profitable would it.

Eubank jr I looking quite the class act, isnt he? Still not convinced he has huge punching power, but he is quite slick. Obviously not as good as his dad was, but I think he can go a long way at Middleweight.

Decent opening round from Fury. He could keep that jab going all night by the looks of things and not have too much to worry about. Johnson will have to come out of his shell at some point.

Dunno why the crowd are booing, it might not have been an entertaining fight but it wasn't the worst, and Fury has at least shown he knows how to work at range and control a fight, which is something there have been question marks about before.

Should be an easy win for Fury. I had him winning 10 of the 12 rounds. I'm curious how he would deal with Price though, I think Price would be a lot more aggressive than Johnson was and of course, Price hits like a truck.

**edit**

I think the crowd are booing because they wanted to see the reckless Tyson fury. It's pretty obvious he is now in with the calibre of opponent where he cant be reckless any more.

Edited by The_Rev

it's in Belfast, isn't it? They're probably booing because there is no WKD on scale.

I kind of like Fury. He looks like a big daft farmer, and it is good to see.

I prefer Price as a boxer though. If they meet I hope Price wins, but I get the feeling that Fury can knock out Price but Price would have to work his way to a points win.

Â