The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Great fight, the 5th is as good as it gets.

You have to admire Pacquiao's ability to **** faces up. Rarely do you look pretty after a fight with him.

Anyway, seeing as they are making a movie out of these fights, might as well stick one up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23kTQnI2dvM

The 9th is something to behold.

There's nothing like the Gatti-Ward trilogy.

Anyway in keeping with great/must see fights my entry is Trinidad vs Hopkins. This is a must see fight because it represented two things, (1) Hopkins' coming out party, the fight that gave him true recognition. (2) The destruction of a legit. pound for pound great fighter in Trinidad.

This is an awesome display of boxing skill. It's hard to give Trinidad any more than one or two rounds in this one.

Given there's no major fights left this year I guess it's time for a 2012 wrap up. So yeah, my top three fights of the year:

(1) Pacquiao vs Marquez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq-T5XHg-c8

(2) Brandon Rios vs Mike Alvarado

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVL_dKC-Uyk

(3) Sergio Martinez vs Chavez JR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBwCBuZGuTM

just took a look at your blog Dr P, good stuff

a lot of your views have been expressed in this thread before, good read though, keep updating it and I'll keep coming back.

I'm pretty gutted that Ricky Burns wont be fighting tomorrow night, I was looking forward to seeing Billy Jo Saunders, George Groves and Burns all on the same bill

I see that Skeet is fighting for a title as well, I'm not too sure what it is but I hope he doesn't get it, I have never liked him he doesn't look as though he has any power behind him at all

Broner has been calling out Burns this week. I think that is the fight I want to see most in 2013, at one point I thought it would be an easy win for Broner but now I am not so sure.

I was thinking that myself after watching the last Broner fight. I never used to really rate Burns all that highly to be honest but he is big for the division that he is fighting in and has a good range on him, Broner seems to quite like people getting in close whilst he hides behind his shoulder on the ropes (ala mayweather) but I think Burns has a chance at picking him off from a distance without the need to get too up close and personal with him

Burns may give Broner a decent match because Burns can hit and move, Leemond you're right that Broner would have trouble against an opponent who moves a lot and has range, I think for example Broner would have a tough night against the lightweight WBC champ Miguel Vasquez, a superior boxer to Burns.

I'm not a much of a fan of Burns, I don't really rate him, I would fully expect Broner to find a way to beat Burns. Burns is indeed big for the division but still doesn't have that much power for lightweight, Broner is also big for the division and has a natural strength advantage over Burns and is also the much bigger puncher.

Some good action later with Donaire fighting Arce, it's just a shame the Rigondeaux fight with Poonsawat is off, with Poonsawat sadly testing positive for HIV (or a t-cell count consistent with HIV).

What time does the Glen Johnson fight start? George Groves turned up about five rounds ago but **** knows what that bloke pretending to Glen Johnson is doing in there with him.

Glen Johnson is shot to shit, what do you expect? He 'retired' after losing his last fight, I'm amazed he is here tonight. Even though his chin is one of the best of all time I wouldn't be surprised if he is stopped in this given his age.

Also the stupid, idiot, ignorant commentator said Roy Jones was winning by a 'street' in his fight with Glen Johnson, NOT TRUE, Glen was dominating that fight.

I think it's impossible to knock Johnson out, he does have one stoppage loss in a long career to a prime B Hop but that was the ref stepping in rather than Johnson crumbling underneath punches. He looks like he is here for the money tonight though, he simply isnt interested in having a fight. Having the best chin in the business is all well and good, but you dont want to become the best punchbag in the business.

Â