The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Austin Trout vs Miguel Cotto

Pretty decent fight. Even with the hostile crowd and Cotto's record at the garden, i still thought Trout might just edge it. Cotto didn't look too happy with the decision though.

Cotto didn't look too happy with the decision though.

Adelaide Byrd needs to **** off out of boxing, 119-109, absolute joke of a card. Trout won, but he didn't win all but 1 round. As soon as I saw her name come up I knew we'd have some hilarious scoring if it went to the cards, she's about as incompetent as they come.

And she's one of the judges for Pacquiao Marquez 4...

Trout put a schooling on Cotto, 119-109 was a ridiculous card but I had Trout winning that by a good 4-5 points. I knew he'd win he's just too slick for Cotto, he made Cotto look ordinary and one-dimensional. Cotto is a one handed fighter, he has no right hand and that's the punch against a south-paw so I didn't feel that Cotto had the threat level against Trout that everyone else was telling me.

Cotto should probably retire now. Trout though, he's a highly skilled fighter, looking forward to seeing more of him.

A word on Fury. I hate the guy but that was his best performance yet. Now obviously KJ was out of shape and took the fight on 3 weeks notice (LOL) but Fury worked behind the jab very well, he used it very, very effectively and that's a prerequisite to do anything in this H/W division. So fair play to him.

Time for a classic I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pn37_DEPOw&feature=g-u

Joe Frazier 29-0-0 (25 KO's) vs George Foreman 37-0-0 (34 KO's) for the heavyweight championship of the world.

Frazier's 5th defence of the title. He had been the first man to beat Muhammad Ali about a year earlier in the "fight of the century". Foreman was the bookies favourite going into the fight though. First bell is about eight minutes in (link)

Every time I see this I'm amazed Frazier gets up after the 2nd knockdown.

Foreman was an absolute beast. What an era for boxing that was, it really emphasised the saying 'styles make fights'. Fraizer could beat Ali but just had no chance against Foreman because Fraizer was 'come forward' and there to be hit, yet Ali had the wherewithal and smarts to beat Foreman. There was also Norton who was able to beat Ali yet like Fraizer, was absolutely obliterated by Big George.

Pacquiao Marquez 4 this weekend then, I must admit I scoffed when the fight was initially made but I'm actually looking forward to it. Marquez is looking in suspiciously great shape, Pacquiao I thought looked pretty good against Bradley but Bradley was making him miss a lot.

I think if this goes close again it'll go to Marquez this time, I can't see Marquez losing another close points decision. So for me Pacquiao may have to get the knockout to win this one, but then I said the same thing before the 3rd fight...

Chavez, well, interesting really, a heck of a lot of his record comprises of Tijuanan taxi cab drivers (as someone once said). But he beat some top fighters like Rosario, Roger Mayweather, Camacho and most significantly, Meldrick Taylor who at the time was one of the pound for pound best in the sport. That fight with Taylor (the first one) is one of the all time great boxing matches.

His draw with Sweat Pea was a joke, Chavez was schooled in that one, plus I felt his performances against ODL were pathetic although he was over the hill at that point.

As far as rating him among the greats, for me, top 30-40.

Also, I love the idea of posting classics, I'll put up some of my own favourites at some point.

To be fair I think both fighers have yet to take that step up. Has Price been smacked by someone of Fury's power yet?

Although I would back Price all day if they were to fight now.

Price got stopped by Stiverne in the amateurs, Stiverne is a very big puncher and IMO hits harder than Fury. Fury's power is overrated.

Some decent fights this weekend with Pac-Marquez 4, Kessler-Magee, the return of Gamboa and Lee Purdy vs Carson Jones.

Still not sure about Pac-Marquez. If Pac puts the foot on the gas and really go in and assault Marquez like he did at times in the 3rd fight, and do this more often, he can win on points. But if the fight is more ebb-and-flow then I think Marquez will this time get the points decision and Pac will need the KO.

Kessler I wonder how much he has left, he did just KO Allan Green cold but Green is a shell and really had no defence for that hook which was telegraphed a mile off. Magee winning in Denmark is very unlikely and I don't think he has the power to stop Kessler but I dunno, I have a strange feeling about this one...

Purdy vs Jones, well Brook went life and death with Jones so I expect Jones to pull this one off.

EDIT: Forget about DeGale vs Zuniga.

Zuniga is a big puncher and has stopped a lot of his opponents, he has been stopped before but that was against a prime Pavlik and a prime Bute. He gave Pavlik hell whilst it lasted. Now Zuniga is really in the winter of his career, but does have staying power, he recently went the distance with the highly rated Oosthuizen and also went the distance with Tavoris Cloud, a powerful l/w champ.

So this is a decent fight, DeGale should win a wide points decision but Zuniga has the power to stop DeGale IMO, so Zuniga has that elusive 'puncher chance'. DeGale often gets stupid in his fight if he's winning by a wide margin and can be hit so you never know.

Eubank jnr isn't taking his time about things, is he? I like him though, he can be a bit mad and raw but he's exciting. A bit more work and he could be very good indeed. He also appears to be an arrogant little tosser, so if he does get smashed good and proper I won't be too upset either.

DeGale did OK. He just doesn't look... mean enough. That is a bit of an odd criticism, I suppose.

DeGale did well against a shop worn Zuniga.

Poor old Magee though, really was obliterated there, just doesn't have any sort of core and those body shots destroyed him, they weren't particularly great punches either. I guess that stoppage against Bute finished his ability to take the punch to the body...

Â